natenajar

Gold Finger

Lead

Dec 29 16 11:07 AM

Tags : :

building gobos for the purpose of aiding in separation..... I have no problem with frames of course, but what would you put inside? I'm thinking maybe a 3/4" mdf board with a few inches rigid 703 on either side? or even fluffy batts?  Or something else?  Any suggestions are warmly welcome....
Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#1 [url]

Dec 30 16 12:15 AM

I think either approach is fine. We have done both! They seem about equally effective. Height and width and positioning are the biggest determining factors of how much spill you're able to contain.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#3 [url]

Jan 6 17 9:47 AM

hank alrich wrote:
Acoustical cotton. I'm all done with fiberglas.

My mentor, Dan Wallin, made every speaker I use for monitoring.  At one point he switched from using high grade fiberglass to that cotton material that is apparently made from blue jeans (and is blue in color... and more expensive).  It definitely improved the sound of the speakers for me and the change was less than subtle.  

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Jan 9 17 2:44 PM

I've been looking into various materials for sound control, and LF control in particular, and today I read a number of things about recycled denim, as I was wondering about how it compared to fiberglass or rockwool.

Fiberglass is so effective because it converts the sound energy into heat, and by Newton's laws of thermodynamics, the energy is no longer in the air...

Denim doesn't have this characteristic, however, and reports on GS claiming an absorption coefficient of 0.97 at 125Hz seem impossible.

This site claims that their recycled denim is "The Most Cost Effective Acoustical Absorbing Material On The Market" but their measurements only show an absorption coefficient of 0.07 at 125Hz

http://www.bondedlogic.com/echo-eliminator-acoustic-panels/#tab-acoustical-performance

Has anyone found any independent measurement data for this material?

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#7 [url]

Jan 10 17 11:43 PM

I suppose so, the energy has to go somewhere....

My current bass traps just accumulate the stuff, so every few months (depending on the projects I've had) I drive out to the country to empty them, in order to maintain my strict "trap and release" policy...

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#9 [url]

Jan 11 17 9:08 AM

compasspnt wrote:
Yep. One of my EMTs recently ran out of reverb, and I had to drive out and get a bottle to refill it.

Gee, I've never had that problem, but I keep mine sealed up good and tight. I have noticed that my whole studio is good at converting energy into naps.

Quote    Reply   

natenajar

Gold Finger

#10 [url]

Jan 11 17 9:28 AM

seth wrote:
compasspnt wrote:
Yep. One of my EMTs recently ran out of reverb, and I had to drive out and get a bottle to refill it.

Gee, I've never had that problem, but I keep mine sealed up good and tight. I have noticed that my whole studio is good at converting energy into naps.
mine is too!  this couch I moved in recently certainly helps with that too….

Quote    Reply   

hank alrich

Platinum Blonde

#11 [url]

Jan 11 17 10:06 AM

scullyfan wrote:
I was under the impression that heat was produced whenever acoustical energy was being absorbed by treatment systems.

This. The stuff works really well, IME. That said, I'm small potatoes.

hank alrich
http://hankandshaidrimusic.com/
http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#13 [url]

Jan 11 17 2:02 PM

I"ll never forget the time some assistant opened the Dolby unit in the control room and spilled all the tape hiss out all over the place...

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#14 [url]

Jan 11 17 3:48 PM

It's not denim you want, it's old fashion canvis (made out of cannabis), that shit absorbs energy and it converts it into space.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#15 [url]

Jan 11 17 7:48 PM

I wonder if every time you cut with a shelving EQ it stores up low end for the times when you need to boost?

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#16 [url]

Jan 11 17 7:54 PM

zmix wrote:

My current bass traps just accumulate the stuff, so every few months (depending on the projects I've had) I drive out to the country to empty them, in order to maintain my strict "trap and release" policy...

​You might want to check the Environmental Protection Agency's regulations on that activity before encouraging it. Illegal dumping carries a stiff fine. Don't blame the messenger, I didn't write these rules. 

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#17 [url]

Jan 12 17 8:35 AM

scullyfan wrote:
zmix wrote:

​You might want to check the Environmental Protection Agency's regulations on that activity before encouraging it. Illegal dumping carries a stiff fine. Don't blame the messenger, I didn't write these rules. 
Hmm..   I don't think It's regulated as "refuse" per se, so illegal dumping might not apply here...

Just to be clear, I looked up the DNR regulations ..  http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31421.html

...apparently New York State has a daily limit of ONE when it comes to "Striped Bass in the Hudson River and tributaries north of George Washington Bridge"

Now, I don't use SMPTE, etc, so I don't know if this qualifies as "Striped Bass" or not...

Interestingly, the limit is increased to FIVE when dealing with "Black Bass largemouth/smallmouth"

However:

"Dec 1 - Fri preceding the 3rd Sat in June Catch and release only"

Which I'm doing all year long...

I'm going to have to apply for a license ASAP....

Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#19 [url]

Jan 12 17 9:55 AM

oh sweet. i only own one bass, and it's black.

silvertone wrote:
It's not denim you want, it's old fashion canvis (made out of cannabis), that shit absorbs energy and it converts it into space.

so, in essence, giving you more space?

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help