avatar

seth

Ruby Baby

Posts: 5,478 Member Since:26/01/2011

#41 [url]

Jan 30 17 10:39 AM

I don't know Paulo - I often think about how much time I'd have left if could get back all the time I've spent waiting for tape machines to rewind...

Quote    Reply   
avatar

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

Posts: 1,150 Member Since:31/05/2015

#42 [url]

Jan 30 17 11:08 AM

morespaceecho wrote:
you spelled unpresidented wrong. 

Er, no.

Historically "unprecedented" is correct. Hower, misspelling nof the word has become so rampant that the "moderrn", pussy-ass dictionaries, compilerd by ignorami, have accepted the incorrect spelling as being "preferred" like so many other "modern" perversions of historically correct things. Call it "auitotune for language"...

It's because Latin is no longer commonly taught in schools.

From cedo, cedere, cessi, cessusVerbcēdō ‎(present infinitive cēdere, perfect active cessī, supine cessum); third conjugation
  1. (intransitive) I go, move, proceed, go along, move along.
  2. (intransitive) I result, turn out, happen.
  3. (intransitive) I withdraw, depart, retire, go away from.
    1. (intransitive, military) I withdraw, fall back, give up my post.
    2. (intransitive) I disappear, pass away, vanish.
    3. (intransitive, with dative) I cede, give in or yield (to), step aside (for), give way (to).  [quotations ▼]
      1. (intransitive) I am inferior to, yield to in rank.
      2. (transitive) I concede, give up, grant, surrender, yield.
      3. (intransitive, with dative or in +acc.) I fall (to) (as a possession); accrue or come (to).
      4. (intransitive, with in +acc.) I become, turn into, be or become the equivalent of.

Last Edited By: John Eppstein Jan 30 17 11:18 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

resolectric

Gold Finger

Posts: 642 Member Since:26/01/2011

#43 [url]

Jan 30 17 12:10 PM

John Eppstein wrote:

morespaceecho wrote:
you spelled unpresidented wrong. 

Er, no.

Historically "unprecedented" is correct.
...

 


Correct.
My native language is "latin" in origin (portuguese) and we say "sem precedente" meaning "without precedent".
Eng: precedent/precedes/previous.
Port: precedente/precede/prévio.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

resolectric

Gold Finger

Posts: 642 Member Since:26/01/2011

#44 [url]

Jan 30 17 12:17 PM

seth wrote:
I don't know Paulo - I often think about how much time I'd have left if could get back all the time I've spent waiting for tape machines to rewind...

I understand but i don't think speed often benefits the performance.
Of course one thing is "taking a few seconds" before a new take (the Rewind time) and another thing is diverting the inspirational flow of the artist with technical problems, consecutive production instructions, abuse of talkback conversation and tips from everyone in the Control Room and so on. That is negative.
I somehow feel the speed allowed by a DAW for consecutive takes is counterproductive as well.
There must be a flow and i believe short "breathing/thinking" pauses are a part of it.

Last Edited By: resolectric Jan 30 17 12:20 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

seth

Ruby Baby

Posts: 5,478 Member Since:26/01/2011

#46 [url]

Jan 30 17 1:04 PM

resolectric wrote:

seth wrote:
I don't know Paulo - I often think about how much time I'd have left if could get back all the time I've spent waiting for tape machines to rewind...

I understand but i don't think speed often benefits the performance.
Of course one thing is "taking a few seconds" before a new take (the Rewind time) and another thing is diverting the inspirational flow of the artist with technical problems, consecutive production instructions, abuse of talkback conversation and tips from everyone in the Control Room and so on. That is negative.
I somehow feel the speed allowed by a DAW for consecutive takes is counterproductive as well.
There must be a flow and i believe short "breathing/thinking" pauses are a part of it.

Yes, totally agreed. There's nothing worse from any viewpoint than having a conversation between the producer and a musician about what to do on the next pass or in this punch, saying "OK, let's go..." and having the engineer say, "What are we doing?"

Quote    Reply   
avatar

maarvold

Aqua Marine

Posts: 2,936 Member Since:23/01/2011

#48 [url]

Jan 30 17 2:50 PM

John Eppstein wrote:

Call it "auitotune for language"...

 
That's what I would call SpellCheck.  Sometimes I look down at what I 'wrote' and say "wtf?".  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

seth

Ruby Baby

Posts: 5,478 Member Since:26/01/2011

#49 [url]

Jan 30 17 7:06 PM

weedywet wrote:
well, "worse" would be "let's do another one" without any discussion or explanation as to why

That would be nice, but I don't necessarily believe the producer owes me an explanation. The absence of a comment has to be seen as a direction to do the same thing again and hone it. Unless it's Bob Dylan, then no news is no news.  If the engineer says "let's do another" and we're about to wipe the previous take, I'm going to want confirmation from the producer. But you know, so much of this depends on your working relationships with everyone. Ideally the fewer words required the better.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

Posts: 7,049 Member Since:04/02/2011

#50 [url]

Jan 30 17 7:37 PM

I've been known to ask for another with no explanation when it's clear to everyone that what we just did wasn't well-formed or particularly good.

I'm also not opposed to "that was good, let's see if we can beat it."

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   
avatar

zakco

Platinum Blonde

Posts: 1,064 Member Since:02/03/2011

#52 [url]

Feb 2 17 6:31 PM

d gauss wrote:
i did a record recently where the bulk of a coupla songs were recorded all at once using a single microphone.
An AEA R84 was used with drums on one side of it maybe 9ft back, and singer/acoustic guitarist and upright bass on the other side up closer. though iirc, i had to add a spot mic (altec birdcage) at one point to help out the bass a tune.
the drum timing and vocal phrasing were solid, so i was able to edit a couple of spots from other takes into the "keeper" to fix a vocal note or two. then we overdubbed other stuff (B3, backing vox, etc.) on top of that as per usual.
was pretty scary and hairy at times, but seemed to turn out good as the artist loved it.
These guys are doing some interesting work with their "single mic series" and in house vinyl cutting.

http://austinsignal.com/



Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help