skidmorebay

Tin Man

Lead

Jan 20 17 9:15 AM

Tags : :

This was touched on in the "Desk Placement" thread a while ago but I think it could use some more discussion!

My room is set up with a small table for screen and keyboard just forward of the theoretical 38% "sweet spot." Gear racks are to the left. There is no mixer.

I find my screen is even more in the way now that I have added a second pair of nearfields. It is about 20" closer to me than the speakers. I've been thinking about getting a larger widescreen monitor and setting it back so it is in the same plane as the speakers. Is this the "least damaging" option? 

Other alternatives of course are to mount a huge screen on the wall behind the speakers, or put it to the side. Actually, I would probably like having it on the side, so I am not looking at a screen while listening to playback, but I also worry about issues from having a big, flat screen creating a new early reflection point. 

What have people found to be the best option for screen placement? 
Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#1 [url]

Jan 20 17 9:40 AM

for mastering, i can't deal with a screen (or anything) right in front of me. i've always had the screen behind the monitors. for my new room i'm going to try having a projector, we'll see how that goes.

i recall seeing thomas barefoot saying that on a plane with the speakers is indeed "least worst", i tend to think flat against the wall would be better, but either of those is going to be better than having it between you and the speakers.

i wouldn't recommend having the screen off to the side, because it seems to me that if you end up having to look at it for awhile it'd be murder on your neck. but i know lots of people do have their monitors off to the side, so i may well be wrong!

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#2 [url]

Jan 28 17 7:32 PM

An idea I stole from Bill Schnee is taking the LCD monitor off its stand and putting the base of the screen very near the back of my keyboard, which is right in front of me.  Then I built a pivoting shelf that leaned the monitor forward toward the front wall.  This puts the monitor well within view and not far from completely below the horizontal plane of the bottom of the woofers--the closest driver to the floor in my mains cabs.  I've been doing it that way for probably 7 years now and really like it.  

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#3 [url]

Feb 5 17 7:00 PM

Funny thing while keeping on topic. I had a recent mix session and while I normally have the 27" monitor for recording/editing off to the left of the console, I patched the recorder/editor to the large LED screen (normally) used for video) above and between the audio monitors in the back wall. At the end of the day my neck was so sore from looking up at that monitor while sitting at the board. Sure it was great seeing the editing screen as 48 inch vs 27 inch, but constantly straining your neck looking up was no fun. I'll never do that again

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#4 [url]

Feb 7 17 2:05 PM

maarvold wrote:
An idea I stole from Bill Schnee is taking the LCD monitor off its stand and putting the base of the screen very near the back of my keyboard, which is right in front of me.  Then I built a pivoting shelf that leaned the monitor forward toward the front wall.  This puts the monitor well within view and not far from completely below the horizontal plane of the bottom of the woofers--the closest driver to the floor in my mains cabs.  I've been doing it that way for probably 7 years now and really like it.  

Been doing about the same thing for a while, ..only cut a hole in the console to mount an Eq and then have the base of the monitor resting against that at about a 35 degree angle to keep it low profile.  This pic is tilted up a bit.  The arm rest is flat.

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#5 [url]

Feb 7 17 2:44 PM

Has anyone ever dropped in a monitor with 19" rack ears into their mastering console? Many of the newer flat screen units intended for racking feature VGA and HDMI inputs. I don't do any mastering, but I still use monitors and don't want them in my way. I used to buy the CRT versions years ago before the flat screens were available and liked how they fit into a rack with all the other processors. If you were to design and/or build your own console you could customize the angles of the rails to optimize viewing angle, etc. I haven't built a new console lately, but I did build a small fleet of trollies with angled rails for low profile mounting of EQ and compressor/limiters accessible from the mix position.

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#6 [url]

Feb 8 17 11:11 AM

waltzmastering wrote:

maarvold wrote:

Been doing about the same thing for a while, ..only cut a hole in the console to mount an Eq and then have the base of the monitor resting against that at about a 35 degree angle to keep it low profile.  This pic is tilted up a bit.  The arm rest is flat.

I have my monitor even closer: the bottom of the screen is 2-3" behind the back of my keyboard.  And I may try to get it even closer before I'm through.  But that is most certainly the concept.  

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#8 [url]

Feb 8 17 1:49 PM

I like the ergonomics/layout and box tone of the Soma. ..also working with the m/s matrix most of the time comes in handy. 
Coming from a gml 8200 without switches for recall, it's a blessing, but I would get a 9500 in addition, if I won mega bucks, because I really like the gml too.

scullyfan wrote:
Has anyone ever dropped in a monitor with 19" rack ears into their mastering console?

I've seen the rack mount monitors used before (mostly video suites), and had a tracking studio with the monitor laying flat on inverted rack rails , but can't find a pic for it now.  
Looking for that pic, I realized that I've always pretty much detached the base on monitors and also have had them mounted on pneumatic arms.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help