John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#22 [url]

Jan 24 17 1:22 AM

Altec 670 "baby birdcage" repair

I've had an Altec 670 "Baby Birdcage" ribbon mic for awhile that I picked up cheap because it had been dropped and the plastic birdcage body was smashed and missing a couple of shell segments. I had the idea last night that maybe somebody with a 3D scanner/printer rig could reconstruct the broken plastic cage.

This isn't the big Birdcage with the dual elements (which has a metal cage), it's the smaller, somewhat newer, ribbon  only model that achieves multipatterrn  functionality with a mechanically shuttered labyrinth behind the ribbon motor. (The ribbon needs replacement too, but I'll deal with that if I can get the body fixed.

Anyone around here into the 3D printing thing? Any idea of what something like this might cost?

Thanks in advance.

Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#24 [url]

Jan 25 17 3:21 AM

scullyfan wrote:
I thought this was the first (or at least one of the first) ribbon microphone to use a labyrinth to achieve multiple patterns:

http://www.coutant.org/rca77dx/

The RCA 77DX was introduced in 1954. I believe that the Altec 670 came a bit later. It also had a somewhat less sophisticated rotating baffle behind the motor.

Quote    Reply   

wilburguy

Silverado

#25 [url]

Mar 11 17 7:02 AM

I have 2, the WE version and the Altec, both 639B models with a six position switch on the back. Had them re-ribboned by Wes Dooley a couple years ago.

The best recent application was for a gal named Jen Cork doing some smokey jazzy numbers. The mic was perfect for the tone of her voice and the genre. I also put them up from time to time as "fun" mics just for the hell of it. I call them Time Capsule mics as they inmmediately take the sound back several decades. 

Will Russell

grammy winning engineer/producer
Electric Wilburland Studio

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#26 [url]

Mar 11 17 7:28 AM

Thank you Will, I'll keep that in mind. So far I've used it as drum room mic and it sounds great. I tested it out on a singer just to get a sense of what it sounded like, but it was the wrong genre and she was the wrong singer.

Quote    Reply   

panman

Gold Finger

#27 [url]

Mar 12 17 8:26 AM

seth wrote:
Thank you Will, I'll keep that in mind. So far I've used it as drum room mic and it sounds great. I tested it out on a singer just to get a sense of what it sounded like, but it was the wrong genre and she was the wrong singer.

Well, normally during a recording one would swap the mic I guess, but....whatever worksimage.

Esa Tervala

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#28 [url]

Mar 12 17 9:24 AM

panman wrote:

seth wrote:

Well, normally during a recording one would swap the mic I guess, but....whatever worksimage.

Esa, I know you're kidding. We were working on something else, and since she was a good singer and an engineer friend was there I just asked her to sing a little so I could hear what the mic sounded like. This was the first time I tried it after my almost twelve year odyssey trying to get it fixed.

Quote    Reply   

panman

Gold Finger

#29 [url]

Mar 12 17 5:46 PM

seth wrote:
Esa, I know you're kidding. We were working on something else, and since she was a good singer and an engineer friend was there I just asked her to sing a little so I could hear what the mic sounded like. This was the first time I tried it after my almost twelve year odyssey trying to get it fixed.

Seth, I just could not help imagining how you recording a big star like Adele or Beyonce or...and then telling her:"Sorry, but we need another singer, because you are not the right one for this mic!". Gave me some laughs.

Esa Tervala

Quote    Reply   

shinybox

Tin Man

#30 [url]

Mar 13 17 5:20 PM

demiana wrote:
Is it also the same mic as the STC 4033?

I've reribboned several 639's (both the Western Electric and the Altec), own a 639 that's in pieces and looks like it spent the better part of a decade on the bottom of the ocean, and I own an STC 4033.   

To me it looks like STC licensed the design, but chose to make their own parts.

Smaller body geometry, smaller magnets, etc.

But yes, the first time I opened the 4033, I laughed at the similarity.

Seth:  Glad you got it back and up and cookin!

Regards

Jon

Edit:  I'm now cruising pictures of the 670, and no, the 4033 doesn't look like that either =)

ShinyBox Audio www.shinybox.com

Last Edited By: shinybox Mar 13 17 5:50 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help