trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

Lead

Jan 24 17 3:23 PM

Tags : :

Hi

I have a cheap, mexican tele, that i put a fralen pickup in, and its pretty awesome overall. however, the guitar jack just wont hold a guitar cable in very well. its not loose that i can see, and when i put a guitar cable in there is no click or sensation its locked in. if i move around much after pushing it in as far as i can it will, on its own at times, just fall out.

is that something that can be easily replaced? i actually have a pic of the guitar on here somewhere, ill try and dig it out.

thanks!
Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Jan 24 17 10:06 PM

I have done the electrosocket jack on several Teles, and it's HIGHLY recommended... assuming you want something that works 'better-than-factory' over 'museum-authenticity'.

You may still want to buy a replacement socket, but the machined electrosocket beats the "bit of bent metal' way of mounting, by a LONG way.

Quote    Reply   

crazydoc

Silverado

#5 [url]

Jan 24 17 10:18 PM

Or you can take the jack out and bend the tip contact over a little until it makes a locking contact with the plug tip and holds the plug in place.

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

Jan 24 17 10:39 PM

That is an upgrade, of sorts.

The Switchcraft jacks seem better somehow, even going back quite a few years.

Last Edited By: scullyfan Jan 24 17 10:43 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#7 [url]

Jan 24 17 10:44 PM

If you use the electrosocket make sure the switchcraft jack you choose has a long enough threaded barrel to protrude sufficiently, so that the plug isn't forced out by that ridiculous tapered convex curve...

I've seen certain plugs that just pop out of those...

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#9 [url]

Jan 25 17 1:07 AM

I have an electrosocket on my '70s thinline. I like it.

Regarding Chuck's point--

more so than the thread length of the jack itself, it's making sure you remove the little rectangular metal "washer" that's embedded in the wood in the original jack setup. I'm not sure what the name for this part is called, but it's possible to install the electrosocket with it in place-- and if you do, many right-angle plugs will not stay in reliably... they will "work," but just fall out.

The part on the right in the picture below is the part you want to make sure you REMOVE from the wood before using the electrosocket:

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

crazydoc

Silverado

#10 [url]

Jan 25 17 1:19 AM

And you want to remove it by PUSHING it through into the control cavity, rather than pulling it out, to avoid pulling off a piece of wood or finish around the edge of the hole.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#11 [url]

Jan 25 17 1:32 AM

Are newer Tele jacks different than old ones?

When I plug a cable in my 68, you can feel it pop in reliably. You have to make sure the jack is all tight and everything, but other than that, no problems. Maybe I got lucky.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#12 [url]

Jan 25 17 1:38 AM

gtoledo3 wrote:

When I plug a cable in my 68, you can feel it pop in reliably. You have to make sure the jack is all tight and everything, but other than that, no problems. Maybe I got lucky.

They used Switchcraft brand jacks in that era. Now that's not a guarantee, particularly on the imported guitars.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#13 [url]

Jan 25 17 1:39 AM

crazydoc wrote:
Or you can take the jack out and bend the tip contact over a little until it makes a locking contact with the plug tip and holds the plug in place.

If this part of a jack isn't right with any jack, said jack will seem to suck.

I'm a fan of this recommendation, or at least trying it, since it requires nothing other than doing it. The jack's already there.

But I'm sure they will all work.

Last Edited By: gtoledo3 Jan 25 17 1:43 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#14 [url]

Jan 25 17 1:41 AM

soapfoot wrote:

gtoledo3 wrote:

They used Switchcraft brand jacks in that era. Now that's not a guarantee, particularly on the imported guitars.

Hmm, ok. 

I guess the spec on them has probably drifted a little with that.

Side note - as far as 90 degree cables go, I like the jacks that are completely non recessed and pop out on guitars like a Tele, but they aren't a clean replacement since they require extra screws.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#15 [url]

Jan 25 17 1:54 AM

gtoledo3 wrote:

soapfoot wrote:

gtoledo3 wrote:

Hmm, ok. 

I guess the spec on them has probably drifted a little with that.

Side note - as far as 90 degree cables go, I like the jacks that are completely non recessed and pop out on guitars like a Tele, but they aren't a clean replacement since they require extra screws.

Switchcraft spec on their #11 jack is remarkably pretty much the same, as far as I can tell.

It's that many guitar makers, particularly on their more affordable (read: imported) lines, often use other vendors for the jack. This is where we invariably run into problems, as these are almost always inferior in quality.

Bearing in mind that the tip connection of the jack is, in addition to an electrical contact, basically a quarter-elliptic leaf spring. And this spring's compliance, or resistance to compression, has a direct effect on the jack's ability to perform its job of making an electrical contact. And the spring's durability has a direct effect on its ability to perform this job reliably over thousands and thousands of compression cycles.

Lots of the less expensive jacks are basically flimsier springs, and over time (like any cheap or flimsy spring) they get "sprung" and don't make as effective a contact.

You can bend it back, over and over again until metal fatigue inevitably causes it to eventually break. But that's kind of like airing up a tire with a slow leak-- it will remediate the symptom for a time, but it does not address the fundamental problem, which in this case is a spring that's too compliant.

brad allen williams

Last Edited By: soapfoot Jan 25 17 2:01 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#16 [url]

Jan 25 17 8:28 AM

Wow

thanks for all the responses! i really love the guitar an am glad its not a major overhaul. i think i will try the bending thing first since it is in there, but if that doesn't work def look at the switchcraft!

thank you!

Quote    Reply   

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#17 [url]

Jan 25 17 8:53 AM

@seth - thanks for that article, that looks great as well. thanks for all the help here!

im not worried about it being authentic, i already replaced a pickup. this guitar was pretty inexpensive, but i loved how it played and felt. so the wood part has always been great. when i put the Fralen in it, that also helped alot. once this is fixed i think this will be one of if not my fav electric, over alot more expensive ones

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#18 [url]

Jan 25 17 9:20 AM

Did you remove the plug? With a tele it's possible to put the plug back in in the wrong plane so the tip spring hits the wood and won't bend enough to allow the jack to snap in. I've done it. It might be worth a look. You may just have to loosen the plug, rotate it a little, and re-tighten it making sure it doesn't rotate as you're tightening.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#19 [url]

Jan 25 17 9:34 AM

You're right Brad... one the first things that gets cheaped out on is the metal work. I hadn't noticed the Mexican Fenders being horrible in that regards, but I'm not big into them either.

I feel like there is an even chance that double checking it, making sure it's properly set, could wind up resolving the problem a really long time if not permanently. If inspection revealed it to seem really flimsy, I'd put it on my to-do list.

I like switchcraft jacks a lot though, hard to go wrong with that.

Quote    Reply   

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#20 [url]

Jan 25 17 10:30 AM

@Seth - I haven't done anything yet, i wanted to get some feedback from you guys first. i will take a look at it tonight though, or tomorrow depending on when i can and see what i can find out and let everyone know. ill take some pics to, if it gets fixed easily at least it might help some here. and if it goes to a complete switch ill post that to

thanks!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help