chance

Aqua Marine

Lead

Jan 26 17 8:07 PM

Tags : :

Quite some years ago it was either Barry, or Bill sent me detailed information on 414 capsule wiring, but I never got around to it and the info was lost. There are 2 red wires coming off the front & back center of the capsule (unterminated) , and 2 red, 1 white, and one black unterminated coming out of the body of the 414. Anyone know what goes where? Not sure the capsule even worksimage

Chance Pataki The Musicians Workshop www.the-musicians-workshop.com musicians.workshop@gte.net

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#2 [url]

Jan 26 17 9:41 PM

scullyfan wrote:
Chance, what model C414 is that? The internals don't look like an EB. Is it a later model retrofitted with the earlier "brass-ringed" CK12?

That wouldn't have a center terminated capsule though.

Looks like a k67 or k67 replica of some sort.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Jan 26 17 10:53 PM

Looks like some of the ones in Apex, Alctron, and Mojave mics, among others.

I'm not sure on what that wiring is supposed to be between that and the 414 though.

Quote    Reply   

mario i

Platinum Blonde

#5 [url]

Jan 27 17 10:07 AM

That's a TL-II, not a B-ULS, the TL-II has the capacitor in the middle, the B-ULS has a Transformer in that same space.

The AKG capsuled have 2 backplate drain wires.

The K-67 style / clone have only 1.

I don't recall if you can tie both B-ULS backplate wires to the capsule and it will work, or the original Nylon C-12 had isolated backplates...

M

Quote    Reply   

mikerivers

Platinum Blonde

#9 [url]

Jan 28 17 8:40 AM

You can put any capsule in any mic as long as it fits. But without the genuine capsule or a good clone, it will always be a different mic than what the nameplate says.

Does this help you at all?
cloud.akg.com/8694/c414_b_uls_tlii_service.pdf

[link fixed 1/29 9 AM]

For a good time, call mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Last Edited By: mikerivers Jan 29 17 9:08 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#10 [url]

Jan 28 17 1:05 PM

Link didn't work from your post, but did work pasting it. On pg 2 of that pdf it shows the CK-12 capsule, but The capsule I have has those 2 red wires fore and aft center of the capsule, and my question is how, or is it possible to wire this capsule to this mic

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#11 [url]

Jan 28 17 11:39 PM

mikerivers wrote:
You can put any capsule in any mic as long as it fits.

Does this help you at all?
cloud.akg.com/8694/c414_b_uls_tlii_service.pdf

"Any" capsule? In those schematics, it is not clear how or where that CK-12 capsule has its wires connected. (I don't think the CK-12 has a wire in the center of it) This/my capsule fits, but I am unsure where the 2 red, 1 black, and 1 white wires coming out of the mic body are supposed to terminate on the capsule

Chance Pataki The Musicians Workshop www.the-musicians-workshop.com musicians.workshop@gte.net

Quote    Reply   

mikerivers

Platinum Blonde

#14 [url]

Jan 29 17 9:20 AM

chance wrote:
Link didn't work from your post, but did work pasting it. On pg 2 of that pdf it shows the CK-12 capsule, but The capsule I have has those 2 red wires fore and aft center of the capsule, and my question is how, or is it possible to wire this capsule to this mic

Do you know if the mic ever worked with that capsule? It's possible that the amplifier has been modified to accommodate a capsule with an electrically common backplate to the two sides. I'll leave it to the circutbenders here to try to work out a modification for you if that's necessary. Or perhaps it will work as a cardioid-only mic by connecting just one side of the capsule. If you can cobble that up, at least you can listen to it and get an idea of whether it's worth fussing with, or that it would make a better music stand lamp than microphone at this stage of its life.

For a good time, call mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#15 [url]

Jan 29 17 9:45 AM

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here know how much a proper AKG capsule would cost? The mount looks like the ones for the older style CK12, but the newer style could be made to work, no?
(PS, I'm not trying to spend your money Chance, just curious)

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#19 [url]

Jan 29 17 10:46 AM

If I'm mistaken not AKG won't sell you a capsule by itself. If you need a replacement they will install it and charge you for the capsule as part of the whole repair. I don't know what their policy would be regarding a mic that's been as heavily modified as that one.

Last Edited By: seth Jan 29 17 10:48 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#20 [url]

Jan 29 17 12:35 PM

mikerivers wrote:

chance wrote:

Do you know if the mic ever worked with that capsule? It's possible that the amplifier has been modified to accommodate a capsule with an electrically common backplate to the two sides. I'll leave it to the circutbenders here to try to work out a modification for you if that's necessary. Or perhaps it will work as a cardioid-only mic by connecting just one side of the capsule. If you can cobble that up, at least you can listen to it and get an idea of whether it's worth fussing with, or that it would make a better music stand lamp than microphone at this stage of its life.

I got the mic body at a flea market back in the 80's and the capsule was a sample from 797 in 1993. I never had the mic working

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help