waltzingbear

Platinum Blonde

#21 [url]

Jan 29 17 1:15 PM

what you need to determine is how the backplates are connected in the capsule you have.

The existing wires on the capsule are from the diaphragm, and there will be at least one place to attach another connection on the capsule which is the (one or two) backplate connection. Are there more screw holes in sides of the capsule? Does it look like half the screws on the sides are isolated from the rest (every other one)?

Its possible it was intended as a cardioid only capsule and the backplates are connected together and then to ground. At which point you can figure out the cardioid connection and make it into a fixed pattern mic with that capsule.

The mic has connections for two diaphragms and two backplates.

what is "a sample from 797"

Cheers
Alan

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#22 [url]

Jan 29 17 1:44 PM

waltzingbear wrote:

what is "a sample from 797"

Cheers
Alan

Many years ago myself and 5 friends got together and got some mics (and this capsule) from 797 audio in China. It was my first of many group buys

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#23 [url]

Jan 29 17 7:05 PM

waltzingbear wrote:

Are there more screw holes in sides of the capsule? Does it look like half the screws on the sides are isolated from the rest (every other one)?

Cheers
Alan

Yes, there are several. I am guessing they are for different applications and cradle/saddle mounting. No, no isolated screw holes. They "all" go directly into the brass

Last Edited By: chance Jan 29 17 7:08 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#24 [url]

Jan 29 17 8:41 PM

I decided to buy a pair of C414s back in 1978 and the EB version was all that was available. I'm VERY happy about that decision these days because I still have them and they are both healthy. However, I don't remember the black housing P48 being available until sometime after that, so I'm thinking that the "original" capsule that came with Chance's mic was the nylon-ringed CK12. Does that sound accurate, or am I delusional?

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#25 [url]

Jan 29 17 8:54 PM

scullyfan wrote:
I decided to buy a pair of C414s back in 1978 and the EB version was all that was available. I'm VERY happy about that decision these days because I still have them and they are both healthy. However, I don't remember the black housing P48 being available until sometime after that, so I'm thinking that the "original" capsule that came with Chance's mic was the nylon-ringed CK12. Does that sound accurate, or am I delusional?

Last Edited By: chance Jan 29 17 11:41 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#28 [url]

Jan 30 17 12:00 AM

strange because "I" can still clearly see that I quoted you. Anyways, lets try it this way

"so I'm thinking that the "original" capsule that came with Chance's mic was the nylon-ringed CK12. Does that sound accurate, or am I delusional?"

When I got the body, it had no capsule. I got the capsule years later from 797

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#30 [url]

Jan 30 17 12:25 AM

Yes, new from the factory I'm pretty sure that P48 came with the nylon CK12. Production of the brass-ringed CK12 ceased sometime during the production of the C414EB. I was lucky enough to buy two when they still had the "magic" capsules.

After listening to various examples of the C414 with the nylon CK12, they still can sound very good.

Quote    Reply   

waltzingbear

Platinum Blonde

#31 [url]

Jan 30 17 3:00 AM

I have a pair of the mics like Chances, they came with the newer capsule, however I believe it was an initial incarnation that they later changed to the TLII version with more hi end boost. Mine are not as "airy" as the C24 I am familiar with,

Alan

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#33 [url]

Jan 30 17 10:51 AM

Yes, 100% sure a B-ULS has the "nylon CK12".

TL-II and B-ULS were sold side by side, but I think B-ULS came out a bit before.

The TL-II had B-ULS printed on one side too.

If it says TL-II on the other side, that explains it not having a transformer.

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#35 [url]

Jan 30 17 1:38 PM

I guess we are all in agreement that this alien capsule will not function with this mic? I now remember when I got this capsule from 797 a long time ago, 797 was making some parts for Rode mics before Rode started making all their own parts.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#37 [url]

Jan 30 17 1:49 PM

chance wrote:
I guess we are all in agreement that this alien capsule will not function with this mic? I now remember when I got this capsule from 797 a long time ago, 797 was making some parts for Rode mics before Rode started making all their own parts.

TelefunkenUSA was using copy k67 type capsules like that in mics that would typically have a CK12, early on. I don't know how great the result was.

Sure seems like an idea that might work, I just don't know about that wiring.

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#38 [url]

Jan 30 17 2:02 PM

Perhaps, just for fun, I'll try splicing the 2 red wires coming out of the mic body, with the 2 red wires that are on each side of the capsule, ground the black wire coming out of the body to the capsule, but the white wire coming out of the body is where I am stumped. If it works, I'll remove the splices and hard wire everything. Perhaps I should put a vom on all the wires with the mic powered up with 48v to see if power is being passed

Quote    Reply   

waltzingbear

Platinum Blonde

#40 [url]

Jan 30 17 3:45 PM

the B-ULS was available in either the transformered version or the TL version.

later they changed the capsule and dropped the tranformer version. (TLII)

I chose the transformered when I bought my pair.

Alan

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help