kingfish

Gold Finger

Lead

Feb 4 17 10:33 PM

Tags : :

So, my Amp room, is my Vocal Booth. I keep my Vocal mics in there for quick Audition, and recently Aquired an RCA 44b which, until it's mine, (Even when it is) I need to be very careful. 

I've used lots of Other Studios RCA's but I've only ever owned AEA's which are pretty Indestructable. 

Do you think if I leave the 44 on the Mic Stand, or on the shelf, when there's a 4x12 Cabinet in there blasting guitars, that any damage could come of the ribbon? I seem to remember reading someone blew up an old RCA putting itdirectly on a guitar cabinet (Which I WONT be doing) 

But "In the room" ? 

Last Edited By: kingfish Feb 4 17 10:37 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#1 [url]

Feb 4 17 11:13 PM

I can't see how your mic would be in jeopardy at that distance. I used to leave my 77DX in a similar situation and never had a problem. We've been talking about using Crown Royal bags to cover old ribbons in a different thread, maybe that's the ticket?

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#2 [url]

Feb 4 17 11:22 PM

I haven't had a 44, but I have had some bad luck with stretching out long ribbon mics a couple times.

I take it that it's just going to happen sooner or later, probably especially if you're using it on guitars or drums, and *even* if you're being careful. I still have no clue what sagged the ribbon on one R84.

At this point, I *always* put up ribbon mics at the end of a session because of that. I'm not very impressed with cloth type bags like a Crown Royal, or even using that thing that comes with the R84 without a plastic liner, but to each their own.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#3 [url]

Feb 5 17 12:36 AM

I vote for "not a chance you damage your ribbon under those circumstances." Which is not to say your ribbon won't stretch or sag over time through normal wear and age, but I don't think being in the room with a loud amp (far away from said amp) will make an appreciable difference. 

Remember the inverse square law. Sound pressure will be inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the sound source (assumes a point source, but close enough in practice). So sound pressure decreases geometrically with distance... pretty big difference between one inch and one foot, VERY big difference between 1 foot and 10 feet.

But the fragility of those mics is often overstated anyway, if you use common sense. We have trumpet players blasting double Cs into ours almost daily at reasonable distance (i.e. "don't put the bell directly on the mic"), and they don't often need service.

brad allen williams

Last Edited By: soapfoot Feb 5 17 12:39 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Feb 5 17 2:10 PM

I didn't mean to suggest that ribbons are super fragile in general. There are just so many ribbon lengths, materials, head basket configs, etc., that it varies widely.

With some newer design ribbons there is a combo of long, thin micron ribbon, as well as less mesh or cloth layers in the head basket.

I don't think having a ribbon in a room with a guitar amp should be a problem in and of itself. Maybe unforeseen things that someone might do to generate wind blasts? Who knows! I just hate getting stuff fixed.

Quote    Reply   

ryanstreber

Gold Finger

#5 [url]

Feb 8 17 7:24 PM

My 44BX is one of the most-used mics here, and I put it on many things that are very loud - brass, classical voice (high sopranos up close = very high spl!), etc. I concur that it's not really all that fragile. Look at how many historic pictures are out there of RCAs being used as live vocal mics in conditions that one would never think of using them in today; they're really work horses as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't put it inside a kick drum, but I'm guessing it will be fine as long as it's not right up against the grill of a 4X12 cab.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help