spiritwalker

Aqua Marine

#3 [url]

Feb 11 17 10:27 AM

Very nice.
Interesting that there isn't any shielding in the control cavity. When did Gibson start doing shielding?

There was a 1956 Goldtop here in our humble little village back around 1980. I remember the player saying he paid $4,500.00 for it. I thought at the time wow that's a lot of money.

OK it's cold here

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Feb 11 17 10:43 AM

I played a 50s goldtop that had been converted from trapeze to a wraparound at some point, last year. A friend brought it to a gig and wanted me to play it for a couple songs. The neck on it was not too far off from a wartime L-50 I have. Very lively guitar.

But after those couple songs, I was quite eager to grab the Les Paul I've been playing recently, from '07 I think.

Have another friend who recently passed, who had dozens of them. The cracked paint (and greenish growth that sometimes happens) can be a bit repugnant, but to each their own.

Quote    Reply   

d gauss

Platinum Blonde

#5 [url]

Feb 11 17 2:40 PM

i was on a session and the artist wanted me to play his 56 goldtop on a track. halfway through the song, the strap button screw popped out and his 40k, (or whatever it was worth at the timr) geetar quickly drops toward the floor. i stuck out my foot, managing to cushion the impact and got a hold of the neck before it hit. close one! i put the LP aside and played my low-rent epiphone for the rest of the session...

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#6 [url]

Feb 11 17 5:38 PM

d gauss wrote:
i was on a session and the artist wanted me to play his 56 goldtop on a track. halfway through the song, the strap button screw popped out and his 40k, (or whatever it was worth at the timr) geetar quickly drops toward the floor. i stuck out my foot, managing to cushion the impact and got a hold of the neck before it hit. close one! i put the LP aside and played my low-rent epiphone for the rest of the session...

This story is the reason I own less vintage-y versions of guitars and gear: if trouble strikes, I'm far less prone to have a heart attack.  

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#8 [url]

Feb 12 17 8:52 PM

spiritwalker wrote:
Very nice.
Interesting that there isn't any shielding in the control cavity. When did Gibson start doing shielding?

There was a 1956 Goldtop here in our humble little village back around 1980. I remember the player saying he paid $4,500.00 for it. I thought at the time wow that's a lot of money.

A '56 goldtop is a pretty desirable guitar, but nowhere NEAR as desirable as the 1957 in the link above. Like, it might be lucky to be worth 1/5 or 1/6 what a '57 goldtop is worth.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#9 [url]

Feb 12 17 8:54 PM

gtoledo3 wrote:
 The cracked paint (and greenish growth that sometimes happens) can be a bit repugnant, but to each their own.

I LOVE that patina!

The "Greenish growth" isn't a growth at all, but is rather natural patina of the bronze metallic in the paint.

The goldtop actually gets its gold color from bronze flecks in the paint (instead of aluminum flakes in a conventional tinted metallic). When the clearcoat wears off, and that bronze becomes exposed to the elements, it oxidizes and tarnishes in exactly the same way as the Statue of Liberty.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#10 [url]

Feb 12 17 9:37 PM

Ha, yeah, I know about the Statue of Liberty effect... it IS cool.

The first one I saw in person, was when I was four or five; first impressions I guess! And there is something about the fact that it was initially explained to me that it was a "mistake", perhaps.

I'd certainly love one, and don't go "ewww". Anymore. But I suppose I DID think it was fair to call the paint repugnant yesterday, so... LOL :-) A love/hate affair at this point.

Quote    Reply   

spiritwalker

Aqua Marine

#14 [url]

Mar 1 17 11:07 AM

I played with a guitar player who had one of those Signature goldtops.
It was a long time ago and all I remember about it was he/it never played in tune.

Now 35 years later I'm thinking I should have offered him a few hundred dollars for it. ;)

OK it's cold here

Quote    Reply   

jesse decarlo

Platinum Blonde

#19 [url]

Mar 7 17 3:21 AM

That banjofied goldtop is SO WRONG

But that other one with P-90s is causing me to experience lust, in spite of my usual strong aversion to gold things.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help