seth

Ruby Baby

Lead

Feb 17 17 8:22 AM

Tags : :

Sometimes it seems like old gear flies out of doorways and sticks to me - that can be painful if it's a Hammond organ. I've acquired a bunch of ASC Tube Traps. I'd love to build an attack wall in my control room, but I don't think I have room. I'm going to try, though. Other uses I can see - building a circle around a singer to kill reflections from my living room, putting a circle around drums for the same reason. Do any of you use tube traps? If so, how do you use them and in what circumstances?
Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#1 [url]

Feb 17 17 10:39 AM

Be aware that one side is more reflective, and one side less so. The seam determines the side.

They used to recommend placing the more reflective side towards the vocalist as the circle was built around him/her, their theory being that the reflection was less than 30ms, and would add "bigness" to the vocal sound rather than sounding like a double.

That would mean seam side away.

Last Edited By: compasspnt Feb 17 17 10:41 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#2 [url]

Feb 17 17 10:56 AM

seth wrote:
Sometimes it seems like old gear flies out of doorways and sticks to me - that can be painful if it's a Hammond organ. I've acquired a bunch of ASC Tube Traps. I'd love to build an attack wall in my control room, but I don't think I have room. I'm going to try, though. Other uses I can see - building a circle around a singer to kill reflections from my living room, putting a circle around drums for the same reason. Do any of you use tube traps? If so, how do you use them and in what circumstances?

In younger days, I built my own tube traps out of rigid Owens Corning 703 pipe insulator tubes--quite likely what ASC uses imo.  I wrapped them in chicken wire, left the vapor guard on one side and covered in Guilford of Maine fabric.  I had 27 of them in, ranging in size from maybe a 4 - 10" diameter half rounds to probably a 24" or larger full round.  Most were full round and probably in the 16-20" range.  I had a listening room in my apartment and placed the traps in corners (2 high) and on the simple fractions of the walls (halfway point, 1/4 way point).  That room was tremendously articulate and transparent.  Played back from my extremely tweaked out Maplenoll Athena turntable through all tube electronics, things like timp hits had a lot of focus and power--much like the real thing played live.  Good classical recordings had excellent side-to-side and front-to-back imaging.  

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#4 [url]

Feb 17 17 12:04 PM

Thanks Terry, I didn't know that - I'd have assumed the reflective side was away from the singer. That makes sense though, the reflective side adding size to the vocal while the absorptive side kills room reflections. If you put them around drums would you do the same thing? These have a silver tack on the reflective side.

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#6 [url]

Feb 18 17 12:30 PM

spiritwalker wrote:
Wow, those ASC Tube tracks are not cheap! Add in shipping to Planet Clair and they are a fortune.

Why do you think I made my own?  I was an assistant engineer in those days.  

Quote    Reply   

waltzingbear

Platinum Blonde

#7 [url]

Feb 18 17 12:39 PM

but you didn't save as much then. Now since you make more, you'll save more! Remember, run home after the taxi, not the bus, you'll save more.

:-)

Cheers
Alan

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#8 [url]

Feb 18 17 2:32 PM

Two of these tube traps can be used as monitor stands, but they are very tall. I have a pair of Westlake BBSM 4s I use horizontally. If I put them on the tube trap monitor stands the tweeters will be too high unless I turn them upside down. Is there any reason not to put them with the tweeters on the bottom and the woofers and port above? Even so I think the tweeters might be too high.

http://www.westlakeaudio.com/Speakers/Professional_Series/bbsm4.html

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#14 [url]

Feb 23 17 9:48 PM

It was really nice of her. I gave them a good cleaning and used them all weekend. I love what they do - with the reflective side facing in they keep the sound live while killing enough of the reflections from the flat surfaces in my living room. I'm doing guitar tomorrow and I'm dying to try them with vocals. I have yet to figure out where to keep them when not in use, but I'm sure my wife will tell me what I think when she decides.

Quote    Reply   

barry hufker

Diamond Forever

#16 [url]

Mar 3 17 1:24 AM

I "inherited" 4 columns built something like Tube Traps.  They are each 8 feet tall and have a loudspeaker at the bottom, powered by an amplifier.  It is my understanding they were designed by Nelson Pass.  If I understand the design correctly, they have a small microphone to detect low frequency energy and then create an "anti-wave" at that frequency.  That has never worked well so I use them just as "tube traps." 

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#17 [url]

Mar 3 17 8:27 AM

I remember an article in Audio Amateur where Pass designed a pair of horn speakers that were immense, like the scale you're talking about Barry. My first thought was, "This guy can't be married..."

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help