seth

Ruby Baby

Lead

Feb 22 17 11:08 AM

Tags : :

How the hell do I do this? I'm using Protools to convert from 96k-24bit to 320mbps MP3s, but I don't think I can embed the ISRC in PT. I have Hofa DDP creator, and I know how to insert ISRC codes there, but then I'd have to bounce from Pro Tools to 44.1-16, load into Hofa, add the metadata that I couldn't add in PT including ISRC, burn a disc, put the track back into PT at 44.1-16, and convert to mp3 with no way of being able to confirm that the ISRC code is still there. There has to be a better way. I'm working on a club track that, at the moment, will only go out into the world as an mp3.
Quote    Reply   

Justin P

Silverado

#2 [url]

Feb 22 17 11:26 AM

Yeah, you're making it much harder than it needs to be by trying to use Pro Tools to do mastering specific tasks. PT is a fine program, but not a mastering DAW. You could use a mastering focused app such as WaveLab that allows you to enter in the ISRC code (and other CD-Text/metadata) just one time, and it easily pushes this info to all applicable fields of your rendred files be it DDP, WAV, mp3 etc. It makes your life much easier if you are mastering on a daily basis.

Keep in mind that WAV files can have ISRC codes embdeed in the ID3v2 metadata, as well as in the aXML chunck per the "new" EBU standard. mp3 files can have the ISRC added to the ID3v2 metadata.

You could also use an app like Jaikoz to add metadata to existing mp3 files. There are other mp3 tag editor apps out there if you use the Google.

The next question is what value does adding the ISRC code to the mp3 add for you? Is a client requesting it?

Last Edited By: Justin P Feb 22 17 11:47 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#3 [url]

Feb 22 17 3:20 PM

No there's no client. This is a club remix of a record I produced, and I want to be sure that if the record gains traction, which isn't far-fetched, that the kids who wrote the song get paid whatever money there may be. I'm not an ME, so I'm not inclined to buy expensive mastering software. I'll look at Jaikoz, thanks!

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Feb 22 17 3:34 PM

I use Peak by the now out of business "Bias" I put in the text and ISRC, When I play the CD in my car or DVD player, the text shows, but how do you confirm that the information is embedded in an mp3? Hmm, it just occurred to me to try burning an mp3 CD

Quote    Reply   

technologyworks

Gold Finger

#5 [url]

Feb 22 17 4:59 PM

Hi Seth
I use Jaikoz if I need to add or edit a lot of MP3 ID tags etc. Works great.
(BTW, Protools doesn't necessarily do the nicest SRC from 96 to 44.1 but I take your point about not buying expensive mastering software you don't need.)

Peter

Peter Beckmann

Technologyworks Mastering 

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

Feb 22 17 5:39 PM

If the band or you are going through a distributor like Cdbaby, Catapult etc.., they should/will tag the lossy after converting from the .wav's that you send them.
Pretty sure isrc's are required for iTunes. gl

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#7 [url]

Feb 22 17 5:46 PM

Along those lines, if you upload something to Bandcamp, you can add ISRC, UPC, artwork, etc., and it is all embedded in the files they create, and that you can then just download yourself.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#8 [url]

Feb 22 17 6:07 PM

Thanks all. I found a free utility called Kid that seems to work fine.

Peter, I don't usually do sample rate conversion. I leave it for the ME. I do have to do it on occasion, though. What software do you like?

Quote    Reply   

Justin P

Silverado

#9 [url]

Feb 22 17 6:59 PM

seth wrote:
I don't usually do sample rate conversion. I leave it for the ME. I do have to do it on occasion, though. What software do you like?

A great affordbale option for OS X is Myraid by Audiofile Engineering. It has Goodhertz SRC. It also does many other useful batch processing, you can even tag mp3 ISRC codes if I recall correctly. Other "mastering grade" options would be the SRC built into iZotope RX5, or Weiss Saracon (expensive). I use all 3 for different scenarios.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#10 [url]

Feb 22 17 9:51 PM

I have the less expensive version of RX5 - is it in there? So it is. I've been playing around with it. I haven't done a comparison between PT and RX5 but I could certainly mix at 96k and do SRC and dither in RX5. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last Edited By: seth Feb 22 17 10:20 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Justin P

Silverado

#11 [url]

Feb 23 17 12:21 AM

seth wrote:
I have the less expensive version of RX5 - is it in there? So it is. I've been playing around with it. I haven't done a comparison between PT and RX5 but I could certainly mix at 96k and do SRC and dither in RX5. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes, even the standard version of RX5 has a good SRC algorithm. Better than PT in most scenarios. This is a popular website for comparing SRC properties:

http://src.infinitewave.ca

Quote    Reply   

tom eaton

Platinum Blonde

#13 [url]

Feb 24 17 10:33 AM

I had issues with meta tagging in both SampleManager and Jaikoz. I use Metadatics and have found it to be very easy and very compatible with the outisde world. Easy to add artwork, as well. Batch processing, so you can apply similar attributes to all files, and of course specific attributes to individual files.

t

Quote    Reply   

jerry tubb

Gold Finger

#14 [url]

Feb 25 17 9:48 AM

tom eaton wrote:
I had issues with meta tagging in both SampleManager and Jaikoz. I use Metadatics and have found it to be very easy and very compatible with the outisde world. Easy to add artwork, as well. Batch processing, so you can apply similar attributes to all files, and of course specific attributes to individual files.

t

Looks interesting Thomas,
whatever I can do to make metadata tagging quick & easy,
as I despise doing it, my least favorite aspect of digital audio work.
:~)> JT 

Last Edited By: jerry tubb Feb 25 17 9:55 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

tom eaton

Platinum Blonde

#15 [url]

Feb 26 17 9:42 AM

Absolutely...the end of every mastering session turns into data entry. It's what has to be done...but no fun. MetaDatics takes less than ten minutes to do the whole record...and you can do WAV files and MP3s at the same time...just throw everything in there, select all and enter all common data (album artist, album name, number of tracks, year, top of ISRC code) and then go track by track. There are some nice little scripts that allow you to move the sound file title to the track title meta slot, that kind of thing. Really is pretty painless.

Quote    Reply   

Justin P

Silverado

#16 [url]

Feb 26 17 12:14 PM

I really give WaveLab high praise in this area. My montage template has some metadata presets loaded that makes it possible for this to happen in less than a minute:

Insert audio files and arrange them on the timeline as needed for the EP/album etc.

Generate track markers, which will be automatically named. My files are already properly named before inserting, but if yours are not, it is very fast to copy and paste the correct track marker names at this time.

Open the CD-Text Editor Box, enter in the album title and artist name. With one click, the CD-Text names will populate from the easily populated marker names, and the artist name will populate to all the tracks.

Call up the CD Wizard and paste in first ISRC code number. WaveLab will fill in the rest of the ISRC codes assuming they are in numerical order.

Pasting in the UPC/EAN code is easy.

This is where it gets fun. Once the things I mentioned are in place, if you have the correct metadata preset loaded, any rendered WAV, mp3, AIFF, or AAC files will automatically have this info tagged in the ID3v1 and ID3v2 metadata fields. WaveLab intelligently pushes the correct info to the applicable fields automatically. You can even have other less common things like aXML for ISRC embedding according to the EBU standard. The ISRC code itself is pulled from the CD-Text entry.

You can also add the album cover art, and WaveLab also adds the track number/track total to the ID3v2 so you don't have to have the track number 01, 02, 03 etc in the song name. You can still easily have it in the file name as you normally would thanks to the naming scheme, but it stays out of the metadata titles as you would normally prefer.

The majority of the data is pulled from the CD-Text you probably already need to enter anyway, which is also easy to do. I don't even think about data entry anymore thanks to WaveLab. It's very quick, easy, and reliable, and a big part of why I use WaveLab over other mastering DAWs.

For most albums, I can do all this in less than a minute.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help