chance

Aqua Marine

Lead

Feb 23 17 1:13 AM

Tags : :

A man that I admired for a long time. I met him at Scarlet OHara's in underground Atlanta where he was working next door at The Front Page. We hung together for our 2 week gig, and never heard from him again. I wish I could have thanked him.
[url=

Chance Pataki The Musicians Workshop www.the-musicians-workshop.com musicians.workshop@gte.net

Last Edited By: chance Feb 23 17 1:16 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#2 [url]

Feb 23 17 9:16 AM

Brilliant! One of the best tunes of the whole Motown catalog, IMHO. Does anyone (Bob?) know if he was given a chart by the arranger or if he made up the part? Some of his bass parts are more regular than others, and this one is very regular, so I wonder if it was written by the arranger.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#9 [url]

Feb 23 17 3:12 PM

4 is enough

You can always tune down the 4 strings. I had an idea to have 2 bass players in like a 10 piece band. One tuned the low string to B, one the low string tuned to A.

I'm not one to follow convention for conventions sake.

Quote    Reply   

jesse decarlo

Platinum Blonde

#10 [url]

Feb 23 17 5:37 PM

If a bass player is going to suck, he or she can suck just as badly with 4 strings as with 5. It's not the available notes, it's knowing what to do with them.

This is one of many cyclically recurring forum discussion topics.

Quote    Reply   

bob olhsson

Aqua Marine

#11 [url]

Feb 23 17 7:32 PM

James was typically improvising on a bass line by the songwriter-producers who virtually all had a doo-wop background. He never played the same thing twice. Reggie Young reminds me of him a lot. Put music in his ears and magic comes out of his fingers.

Bernadette had a tom tom figure played in unison with the bass that lots of people think was a bass pick.

www.audiomastery.com Bob's room 615 562-4346 georgetownmasters.com Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233 www.thewombforums.com

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#13 [url]

Feb 23 17 7:48 PM

weedywet wrote:

no- you can suck MUCH more on a 5

I have to agree.

That extra fourth below is just begging an inexperienced player to play all the way down there, disconnected from the rest of the ensemble blend, too low to be supportive.

I won't say a 5 is "never" good or appropriate. Often in gospel it can work in good hands, I think.

It's just so easy to abuse that extra fourth of range.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#14 [url]

Feb 23 17 8:05 PM

Plodding is the word. If I use a 5-string, I will usually also do a 4-string track. 9 times out of 10 they use the 4-string track, and I know how much to use the low notes. Every once in a blue moon there's a tune in Db or C that really benefits from the low note, but I will rarely hit it more than once or twice in the song just for the surprise value. More often than not it's about proving to the producer that 5-string is a bad idea. Same with fretless - I love to play it and I have a great-sounding one, IMHO. Inevitably they call too much attention to themselves and step on the singer, but the producer has to hear it for himself.

Last Edited By: seth Feb 23 17 8:09 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#15 [url]

Feb 23 17 9:17 PM

weedywet wrote:
Oh
and
"a bass player with no need for 5 strings" would be EVERYONE

Actually, Weedy, I have discovered the real purpose for the 5th string on a bass and  it's very useful -

as a thumb rest.

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#16 [url]

Feb 23 17 9:47 PM

I was once asked to sit in with a group. The bass player had a 5 string. I felt very confident and thought it would be a simple matter to just ignore the low B string. I couldn't do it and the instrument felt so foreign to me. I usually rest my thumb on the E string of a 4 string unless I am also using my thumb. I just couldn't switch off my brain to that extra string. In theory it seems simple, but it's not (for me) It's not like a drummer that plays with one front tom and sits in on a kit that has 2 front toms. Could you date a chick with 3 eyes? 3 ears? A 5 string bass is like a freak to me. I'm not opposed to them, but a low "E" on a 4 string is low enough to support any music I associate with without going outside the perimeters of the other accompaning instruments . The only exception might be some Rap music where those low notes are the basis of the material

Last Edited By: chance Feb 23 17 9:56 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

crazydoc

Silverado

#17 [url]

Feb 23 17 9:53 PM

I'm an amateur, but I find the E on the B string useful (mainly out of laziness), and I like to end Walkin' After Midnight on the C. And like Chance, I had a very hard time adjusting my brain to playing a 5 string.

Last Edited By: crazydoc Feb 23 17 9:55 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

jesse decarlo

Platinum Blonde

#19 [url]

Feb 23 17 10:27 PM

I dunno you guys, I've done a lot of R&B gigs with a couple of my favorite central CA bass players, and they always use those low notes in a way that makes everything feel good to me. There's nothing magic about 41 Hz. Nobody looks funny at keyboard players when they go lower than that.

Last Edited By: jesse decarlo Feb 23 17 10:31 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#20 [url]

Feb 24 17 5:07 AM

I know a couple of great NYC bassists who regularly use a 5. They always sound great. But personally, I so seldom find it an asset, even from them.

And in some contexts it's just downright wrong. If the music is "bass and rhythm guitar moving together, playing riffs or power chords," use of the 5th string is an anathema.

However, it is REALLY good as a means to show off the low-end extension on your very expensive bass amp, which I honesty feel is (at least subconsciously) a part of the reason why many bassists enjoy it. And that reflects an ethos to which I don't relate from a bassist in a group dynamic.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help