morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#25 [url]

Feb 24 17 9:11 AM

soapfoot wrote:
And in some contexts it's just downright wrong. If the music is "bass and rhythm guitar moving together, playing riffs or power chords," use of the 5th string is an anathema.

wait...you just described metal, and almost all metal bands have been tuning lower than E for over 25 years now. i don't understand. 

a friend/former bandmate always played a 5, i made fun of him on principle, but he always used it super tastefully. even if you believe the bass should never play a note lower than E, the 5 still has merit cause you can play that E on the 5th fret of the B string and it'll be fatter and rounder than an open E. i'm just sayin'.

anyway like chance and crazydoc, my brain had a tough time with the 5 string. 

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#26 [url]

Feb 24 17 9:17 AM

morespaceecho wrote:

soapfoot wrote:
And in some contexts it's just downright wrong. If the music is "bass and rhythm guitar moving together, playing riffs or power chords," use of the 5th string is an anathema.

wait...you just described metal, and almost all metal bands have been tuning lower than E for over 25 years now. i don't understand. 

a friend/former bandmate always played a 5, i made fun of him on principle, but he always used it super tastefully. even if you believe the bass should never play a note lower than E, the 5 still has merit cause you can play that E on the 5th fret of the B string and it'll be fatter and rounder than an open E. i'm just sayin'.

Well if the guitarist is in a dropped tuning or using a seven string, that's another matter entirely.

The annoyance is when guitar and bass are together in octaves, with the bass providing support for the guitar, and then suddenly the bass goes below where the guitar is capable of playing, and the interval between the too is suddenly much wider, and the support goes away.

brad allen williams

Last Edited By: soapfoot Feb 24 17 9:29 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#27 [url]

Feb 24 17 9:24 AM

I love the headstock bass.

Part of the problem from my vantage point, and admittedly I'm old, is that I've never played a five string that felt or sounded nearly as good to me as one of my old Fenders. If I ever did I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I have two now, they're nice basses but nothing like a great Fender. In the past I've owned several others that ranged from "meh" to awful. I've bought them all to please arrangers who wanted to hear five-string. I'd be happy to live without them.

Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#28 [url]

Feb 24 17 10:34 AM

soapfoot wrote:

The annoyance is when guitar and bass are together in octaves, with the bass providing support for the guitar, and then suddenly the bass goes below where the guitar is capable of playing, and the interval between the too is suddenly much wider, and the support goes away.

ah ok yeah, that makes sense. 

what is the consensus on 7 string guitars? more or less disagreeable than 5 string basses? ima say more.

question for bass players: assuming you're playing with your fingers and resting your thumb on the pickup, when you go up to the A or D or god forbid the G, do you keep your thumb on the pickup or move it up to the adjacent string? just curious.

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   

extrememixing

Platinum Blonde

#29 [url]

Feb 24 17 10:36 AM

soapfoot wrote:
morespaceecho wrote:

soapfoot wrote:

Well if the guitarist is in a dropped tuning or using a seven string, that's another matter entirely.

You probably just need one of those fancy 7 string guitars!

Steve

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#30 [url]

Feb 24 17 11:00 AM

morespaceecho wrote:

soapfoot wrote:

what is the consensus on 7 string guitars? more or less disagreeable than 5 string basses? ima say more.

question for bass players: assuming you're playing with your fingers and resting your thumb on the pickup, when you go up to the A or D or god forbid the G, do you keep your thumb on the pickup or move it up to the adjacent string? just curious.

I don't play seven-string myself.

But in the capable hands of George Van Eps, Lloyd Wells, my friend Davy Mooney, my good friend Charlie Hunter, and any of the other exceptional players... particularly those who do a lot of performing unaccompanied, (or, in Charlie's case, without a bassist) it can be very cool.

And since I'm not as often put in a position where they're onstage next to me annoying me directly I probably have fewer feelings about it!

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#33 [url]

Feb 24 17 12:05 PM

seth wrote:
I love the headstock bass.

Part of the problem from my vantage point, and admittedly I'm old, is that I've never played a five string that felt or sounded nearly as good to me as one of my old Fenders. If I ever did I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I have two now, they're nice basses but nothing like a great Fender. In the past I've owned several others that ranged from "meh" to awful. I've bought them all to please arrangers who wanted to hear five-string. I'd be happy to live without them.

I've been keeping mental not of how people actually use their 5 string basses, and one observation I've had is that they seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time above the 5th fret...

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#34 [url]

Feb 24 17 12:10 PM

bigbone wrote:
Anthony Jackson Played a 6 string bass and can played anything in any style.it isn't the bass, it's the players that count......:)

JN

Exactly. The word "bass" has 4 letters when transposed is E, A, D, G. That 6 string just looks wierd to me

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#35 [url]

Feb 24 17 12:31 PM

zmix wrote:

seth wrote:I love the headstock bass.

I've been keeping mental not of how people actually use their 5 string basses, and one observation I've had is that they seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time above the 5th fret...

Between the 5th & 10th is where the good stuff is for main parts to me. Low E up to low A that's not flabby like a 4 string can be.

Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#36 [url]

Feb 24 17 2:09 PM

morespaceecho wrote:

soapfoot wrote:

More disagreeable because you don't need a thumb rest on a guitar.

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#37 [url]

Feb 24 17 2:56 PM

I love the sound of open strings growling. 

I rest my palm on the pickup edge generally. (Or the horseshoe cover in the Rickenbacker). On the Precision I think I rest my heel of my palm on the bridge edge.

Not on a string. 

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#38 [url]

Feb 24 17 3:04 PM

morespaceecho wrote:

When I was playing, I would rest my thumb on the E string only as a point of reference. I also used to play with my thumb and fingers kind of like finger picking a guitar
I remember also plucking the strings close to the neck for a deep tone and pluck up close to the bridge for a crisper tone. I had to pluck a lot harder up by the bridge in order to make the strings move and retain volume

Chance Pataki The Musicians Workshop www.the-musicians-workshop.com musicians.workshop@gte.net

Last Edited By: chance Feb 24 17 3:15 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help