jesse decarlo

Platinum Blonde

#41 [url]

Feb 24 17 3:19 PM

Check out Nathan East on Get Lucky. He hits that low B string plenty, starting during the first full bar of vocals, around 0:16.  I don't actually love this song (using the strict definition of "song"), but I DO love the rhythm section on the record. Sure, Nathan could have played it with a 4 string and it would still have been a hit. But I think his bass part is perfect exactly the way it is. 

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#43 [url]

Feb 24 17 3:31 PM

jesse decarlo wrote:
 He hits that low B string plenty, starting during the first full bar of vocals, around 0:16. 

Interesting point about that bass part.

Last Edited By: gtoledo3 Feb 24 17 3:54 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#44 [url]

Feb 24 17 3:38 PM

I also agree that Nathan East's part sounds good. And for that matter, that Anthony Jackson is a supportive musical player capable of using the extended range for good and not for evil.

But remember... the thing that started the conversation was someone's pithy assertion that "it's possible to suck way more on a 5 string than a 4."

And, while humorous, I do think that's at least somewhat true. An exceptional musician will find possibilities within whatever they're given. A less-exceptional musician, if given a bunch of extra 'stuff' (without having acquired the experience or understanding to know how and when to use those possibilities judiciously, or where to employ them) is typically (IMO, IME, etc) a worse situation than a limited player working within their means.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#45 [url]

Feb 24 17 3:43 PM

Brad, I think you really hit on something about the 5 string being used to sort of show off the amp.

There will always be phenoms and exceptions to the rule, but it's too often that at club dates with a 5 string player, that damn 5th string becomes the star of the ensemble.

edit- maybe "star" isn't the right word. More like Chuck Berry featuring Yoko.

Quote    Reply   

jesse decarlo

Platinum Blonde

#47 [url]

Feb 24 17 5:50 PM

soapfoot wrote:
I also agree that Nathan East's part sounds good. And for that matter, that Anthony Jackson is a supportive musical player capable of using the extended range for good and not for evil.

But remember... the thing that started the conversation was someone's pithy assertion that "it's possible to suck way more on a 5 string than a 4."

And, while humorous, I do think that's at least somewhat true. An exceptional musician will find possibilities within whatever they're given. A less-exceptional musician, if given a bunch of extra 'stuff' (without having acquired the experience or understanding to know how and when to use those possibilities judiciously, or where to employ them) is typically (IMO, IME, etc) a worse situation than a limited player working within their means.

I'm with you. I guess I've just been fortunate in having more good experiences than bad when it comes to bass players with 5-strings, so I always feel obligated to speak up in their defense.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#48 [url]

Feb 24 17 9:39 PM

jesse decarlo wrote:
 guess I've just been fortunate in having more good experiences than bad when it comes to bass players with 5-strings, so I always feel obligated to speak up in their defense.

Jesse, their playing ought to speak for itself. They shouldn't need you speaking on their behalf. ;-)

There are plenty of players who know how to use a five-string tastefully. The point is that the song dictates the instrument and the notes. To me there is no inherent justification for an instrument, only what the song needs. If you're an artist in your own right like Victor Wooten, then your instrument might dictate what you play. But he's a very tasteful guy and I can't see him forcing a tune to conform to his instrument choice.

Quote    Reply   

gregdixon

Gold Finger

#50 [url]

Feb 25 17 12:37 AM

seth wrote:
I love the headstock bass.

Part of the problem from my vantage point, and admittedly I'm old, is that I've never played a five string that felt or sounded nearly as good to me as one of my old Fenders. If I ever did I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I have two now, they're nice basses but nothing like a great Fender. In the past I've owned several others that ranged from "meh" to awful. I've bought them all to please arrangers who wanted to hear five-string. I'd be happy to live without them.

That's mainly been my experience too, 5 string basses just don't sound as good as a good 4s. I own about 15 bases out of which one is a 5 string. A Dingwall Z3, which is the only one I've played that sounds as good as a 4 string. When I play it, I very rarely use the lowest string. Even to save jumping down on the E string, as the B is still not as good sounding as the other strings.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#51 [url]

Feb 25 17 7:44 AM

I have a Lakland 5-string Jazz Bass that's very good, the best I've tried. It has a 35-inch scale which makes the strings less floppy and a 1 13/16 nut width which is the perfect compromise for my hands. I have custom-wound Seymour Duncan 5-string Antiquity pickups in it - it's about as good as I can imagine a 5-string being for me. I still have to change my playing so much to make it work that I'm not really happy with it. I haven't played a Fodera, but the ones I've heard I'm not crazy about.

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#52 [url]

Feb 25 17 7:44 AM

I've got a Hipshot D-tuner on my P Bass allowing the E to become a D...used it 4-5 times in 25 yrs.

Except to annoy people with a faux bass slide effect...

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#53 [url]

Feb 25 17 9:19 AM

silvertone wrote:
gregdixon wrote:

zmix wrote:
Let the countdown begin....

THREE:

Of course Tony mainly plays a 5 string.

The majority of the time Tony plays a 4 string music man and a 10 string stick, sometimes he plays the grand stick which has 12 strings (but he will tell you himself he's limited on what he can actually play on it, we both know phenomenal stick players, Emmit being the best of the best). That said, Tony uses all his instruments in innovative ways, I never thought of using a bow on my stick till I saw him do, you can get some great sounds from that because of how high and low it goes. 
I've been searching the internet for Tony's "TOP TEN LIST" he wrote describing why he preferred this new 3 string bass...  does anyone remember that?  Things like "I've played the high notes and I've played the low notes, and I prefer the low notes"...

Quote    Reply   

gregdixon

Gold Finger

#54 [url]

Feb 25 17 4:51 PM

zmix wrote:

silvertone wrote:
gregdixon wrote:
zmix wrote:Let the countdown begin....

THREE:

The majority of the time Tony plays a 4 string music man and a 10 string stick, sometimes he plays the grand stick which has 12 strings (but he will tell you himself he's limited on what he can actually play on it, we both know phenomenal stick players, Emmit being the best of the best). That said, Tony uses all his instruments in innovative ways, I never thought of using a bow on my stick till I saw him do, you can get some great sounds from that because of how high and low it goes. I've been searching the internet for Tony's "TOP TEN LIST" he wrote describing why he preferred this new 3 string bass...  does anyone remember that?  Things like "I've played the high notes and I've played the low notes, and I prefer the low notes"...

Yes, I remember that. "G strings are for strippers". "The notes above the stave are somebody ele's job".

Quote    Reply   

gregdixon

Gold Finger

#55 [url]

Feb 25 17 4:56 PM

silvertone wrote:

gregdixon wrote:

zmix wrote:
Let the countdown begin....

THREE:

The majority of the time Tony plays a 4 string music man and a 10 string stick, sometimes he plays the grand stick which has 12 strings (but he will tell you himself he's limited on what he can actually play on it, we both know phenomenal stick players, Emmit being the best of the best). That said, Tony uses all his instruments in innovative ways, I never thought of using a bow on my stick till I saw him do, you can get some great sounds from that because of how high and low it goes. 

I thought his main bass was that salmon pink 5 string Stingray? It's the one I see him playing 80% of the time.

Quote    Reply   

extrememixing

Platinum Blonde

#57 [url]

Feb 25 17 9:06 PM

weedywet wrote:
See, I would have nothing against a 2x4with goat hairs on it

That's what I sound like no matter what bass I'm playing!

The difference is that the great guys sound like they sound, and they can play exactly what they wanted to on the first or second run down.  I take a while longer these days.  But there was a time...  Those days are gone.

I have a 62 Jazz Bass that is incredible.  My son bought a Musicman 5 string that is really good.  It's been hard for me to get a handle on it, but I'll agree that having the E on the 5th fret is sometimes a very good sound.

Steve

Last Edited By: extrememixing Feb 25 17 9:08 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#58 [url]

Feb 26 17 9:50 AM

extrememixing wrote:

I have a 62 Jazz Bass that is incredible. 

Steve

Steve, out of curiosity, how much does it weigh?

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#59 [url]

Feb 26 17 11:00 AM

weedywet wrote:
See, I would have nothing against a 2x4with goat hairs on it...

...except that the open strings might 'bleat' instead of 'growl'?  BTW, I also like the growl.  

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help