trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

Lead

Feb 24 17 11:52 AM

Tags : :

Hi

I have never had one and wondered what your thoughts were on recording them? and the quality of the sound?

they seem very different, and the one sameple i heard seemed sort of flat and muted , but that was youtube

are they mostly known for playing live and going direct? vs traditional mic'ing?

thanks

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#3 [url]

Feb 24 17 1:10 PM

I have recorded several Ovations and never liked the sound that came out of them. I have recorded some bottom shelf little known brand name guitars that excelled next to those Ovations that came here

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#5 [url]

Feb 24 17 3:53 PM

Once I had an Ovation Applause come in and the intonation was so bad, I had to make him play my JB player ac guitar. Not the best tone, but at least the intonation was intact

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#6 [url]

Feb 24 17 4:06 PM

Concur with the group here.

i think they caught on because they were one of the better plug-in acoustics of the 1970s and 1980s, and we're sort-of 1980s telegenic. 

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#9 [url]

Feb 24 17 7:37 PM

I was once recording a country singer-songwriter guitarist, who insisted on using an Ovation for some fingerpicking overdubs. I was highly dubious.

Wound up much better than I expected, very sparkly in context. There are always going to be those quirky times when a thin, bright sounding guitar will seem to work better for something.

Can't say that I think they are rich sounding instruments, in any traditional sense.

The Applause is the bottom of the line one, I think.

Quote    Reply   

ryanstreber

Gold Finger

#10 [url]

Feb 24 17 7:38 PM

I haven't heard or seen one in person in about 23 years, but as a kid I always thought they were just wrong. Besides the sound, it always felt so bizarre to hold them because of that rounded plastic back. Seemed like they were always sliding away, and definitely terribe to play when sitting down. And then of course they sounded bad too, like the acoustic sound itself somehow resembled a DI'd acoustic. At least that's my $.02 based on opinions formed when I was at most 14 years old, so take that for the very little that it's worth!

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#12 [url]

Feb 24 17 8:09 PM

There was one very specific thing about 2 years ago where I intentionally wanted an awful plasticky-sounding DI piezo acoustic guitar sound. In that moment and that moment alone, I kind of wished I had an Ovation handy.

But I just used some other electrified acoustic DI instead, and it was fine.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#13 [url]

Feb 25 17 9:46 AM

Some guy at a pawn shop in Florida tried to sell me one once upon a time. He told me how the one he had was a prototype which was somehow revolutionary in design because the back and sides were made from some kind of space-aged plastic typically used for helicopter rotor blades. It looked like any other Ovation I had ever seen up to that point and sounded like it was made by Mattel. I can't imagine anyone thinking they sound all that great, either in person or on a recording (unless you were going for something different, such as Soapfoot mentioned).

Last Edited By: scullyfan Feb 25 17 9:50 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#14 [url]

Feb 25 17 10:59 AM

weedywet wrote:
they have a particular sound...
I will say, a good ovation makes my favorite high string acoustic sound.

I try to retain all knowledge in the hopes that someday it might save my ass or be 'just the ticket'.  But, other than your statement, my opinion is that if you had lost your paddle in a canoe that was quickly drifting toward Niagra Falls, you'd feel very lucky if you happened to have an Ovation guitar with you.  

Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#16 [url]

Feb 25 17 4:30 PM

soapfoot wrote:
Concur with the group here.

i think they caught on because they were the only plug-in acoustic of the 1970s and early 1980s.

Fixed.

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#17 [url]

Feb 25 17 5:20 PM

seth wrote:
Has anyone played a carbon fiber guitar? Are they any good?

​I have. I went to an appointment to see my doctor and we started talking about guitars. He excused himself and returned seconds later with a brand new carbon fiber guitar, which he let me play. The action was similar to a Taylor T5 and it sounded more like a Martin than a Gibson. I can't remember the brand, but I think he said it cost $1,700.

Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#18 [url]

Feb 25 17 11:02 PM

scullyfan wrote:
Some guy at a pawn shop in Florida tried to sell me one once upon a time. He told me how the one he had was a prototype which was somehow revolutionary in design because the back and sides were made from some kind of space-aged plastic typically used for helicopter rotor blades. It looked like any other Ovation I had ever seen up to that point and sounded like it was made by Mattel. I can't imagine anyone thinking they sound all that great, either in person or on a recording (unless you were going for something different, such as Soapfoot mentioned).

He was bullshitting you about the prototype bit, but in fact the bowl was made of a special plastic developped for helicopters - dunno if it was the blades or some other part. Ovation was a subsidiary of the Kaman Helicopter Coprporation, later Kaman Industries.

Last Edited By: John Eppstein Mar 25 17 6:20 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

natenajar

Gold Finger

#20 [url]

Feb 25 17 11:59 PM

Ive never recorded an ovation, but I love the damn things. They have a very dry and direct sound, and yes they amplify great, ovation's pickup basically hasn't changed since the 70's and for gain before feedback it is still the best design. It is basically individual string transducers encased in the saddle. Every ovation I've ever played stayed in tune remarkably well, despite climate conditions and they all felt great. I've been thinking lately I'd like to find an old ovation 12 string in decent shape, mainly because I'm missing coryell a lot right now....

Last Edited By: natenajar Feb 26 17 12:58 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help