aleatoric

Gold Finger

#21 [url]

Mar 1 17 2:15 PM

matteskyk wrote:
Your timeline rundown does make things very clear, thanks for breaking it down for us.  I am glad to hear that your issue is resolved Mark.

Thanks!  

I swear I've had some of the weirdest equipment issues ever.  Too many to list but another good one that comes to mind is when I all of a sudden started getting low level clicks ever 15 minutes or so in my analog processing chain.  Spent days trying to get to the bottom of it.  The issue ended up being my neighbors had their heat turned off due to not paying their gas bills.  Thus approximtely every 15 minutes their furnace (which was located in the basement directly below my studio) would try to relight the pilot light, which it couldn't do because gas flow was shut off.  When old gas furnaces do this it lets out a large RFI spike apparently which was what was giving me the clicks.  Turned their furnace off and the problem went away.  My landlord has since switched to all electric heat after they moved out so that won't be an issue again but man was that a strange one!

Quote    Reply   

aleatoric

Gold Finger

#23 [url]

Mar 3 17 2:47 PM

morespaceecho wrote:
how did you even figure that one out?

By happenstance the mailman put the gas shutoff notice in my mail slot instead of theirs.  I talked to my neighbors about it and asked how long their gas had been shutoff and it corresponded to right when I started to get the clicks.  Went into the basement and listened for awhile.  Heard the furnace clicking every 15 minutes or so trying to ignite the pilot.  Unplugged their furnace and recorded blank audio through my chain overnight.  Inspected the file and no more clicks.  Told the dudes upstairs to let me know when they pay their gas bill and I’d plug their furnace back in.  They never paid it and ended up getting evicted.  When the landlord renovated their place he switched to electric heat so it’s now a non issue.  Although the guys who live there now are much classier and pay their bills!

Quote    Reply   

hank alrich

Platinum Blonde

#25 [url]

Mar 5 17 8:07 PM

seth wrote:
Good for you, figuring that one out. I don't know if I could be that patient.

It's a tough gig, troubleshooting craziness. First, it's just so damn squirrely, and second, it's liable to walk back in the door with the next client.

hank alrich
http://hankandshaidrimusic.com/
http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic

Quote    Reply   

jerry tubb

Gold Finger

#26 [url]

Mar 8 17 7:42 AM

Gremlins and Tribbles can be maddening!

Sometimes a neutral 3rd party is just the ticket for a solution.

This oft used quote may apply:

“Problems cannot be solved with the same mind set that created them.”― Albert Einstein

i would add to that, Especially if there's an subjective emotional attachment involved with the problem.

JT

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#27 [url]

Mar 8 17 11:01 AM

jerry tubb wrote:
Gremlins and Tribbles can be maddening!

Sometimes a neutral 3rd party is just the ticket for a solution.

This oft used quote may apply:

“Problems cannot be solved with the same mind set that created them.”― Albert Einstein

i would add to that, Especially if there's an subjective emotional attachment involved with the problem.

JT

Does breaking into a cold sweat anytime something goes south qualify as emotional attachment? ; )

Seems like all the tweeters ended up to be good?
Wonder if it was/is a cold solder joint or what the root cause was/is?

One thing with things going bad on Friday, is it usually means a part can't get to you till Tuesday which can be pretty frustraiting.

Quote    Reply   

jerry tubb

Gold Finger

#28 [url]

Mar 9 17 8:13 AM

Cold Sweat ...James Brown!

Fortunately I have Nick & other friends to help render "objective" opinions on any problems!

One late night I was working on a long time clients project from New Orleans, when I saw the lights go dim & the needles slowly drop on my Manley Vari Mu, sound faded out. WTFluke? Fortunately I had another MVM in Studio B which I grabbed to finish the EQ work. The next day I had Nick call Paul at Manley service who diagnosed ove the phone. Turns out a big cap in the power supply had gone south, after 10+ years service. They had the part up at Fry's Electronics in north Austin, a 35 mile round trip in moderate to heavy traffic. The next day it was all fixed and back in service. WooHoo.

So I was able to rely on my right hand man & consult with an expert to get it solved quickly. Whew!

Actually the very next day we both had a full sessions, I did mine without the Manley, just the Rupert Neve MBP which handled the job beautifully.

So having backup plans in place, and a team of those ready to help was invaluable in this case.

When your livelihood depends on steady flow of work, it's good to have for peace of mind.

So I have alternate systems available, spares, should the need arise; speakers, power amps, DAWs, etc

Helps me to sleep better.

Best, JT

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help