dovecreek

Silverado

Lead

Feb 27 17 11:29 PM

Tags : :

we have a pair of daking mic pre /eq's here that get used all the time. both myself and the other engineer here have noticed that after a 6+ hour tracking session the noise floor has risen noticeably. not enough to ruin a take but enough to notice a difference between am and pm takes when comping a track.
the other pres ( pacificas) in the same rack / power supply are not experiencing the same issue. Is this possibly heat related? Or insufficient power?
there are 5 pacificas 2 dakings a mackie 1604 ( for cue mix)and a furman hs6 headphone distro on the same power supply.
Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#1 [url]

Feb 27 17 11:53 PM

Are they the original preamps or the newer version? Is there sufficient ventilation? If both preamps are behaving the same way that could mean they're getting hot. Do they both use the same power supply or does each have its own?

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#4 [url]

Feb 28 17 8:00 AM

I had a couple of the first editions of the eq's, which were great,. so was curios, and found there was a design issue with a run of one of the following generations of the eq's, that's since been fixed. Mainly an IC that goes bad. There's a work around by disconnecting the meter circuit from the PCB to see if it goes away. pm'd some info I found. gl

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#5 [url]

Feb 28 17 10:05 AM

That would be the compressor, wouldn't it? Do the newer EQs have meters?

Definitely try providing more ventilation. the likelihood of two eparate unites with two separate psus failing the same way at the same time seems slim.

Last Edited By: seth Feb 28 17 10:08 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

Feb 28 17 11:03 AM

You might be right. Looks like it was the Mic pre one and Fet 3, but sounded like the same issue.
I'd just drop Geoff a line. He's done a repairs no charge for me before. gl

Quote    Reply   

dovecreek

Silverado

#7 [url]

Feb 28 17 11:11 AM

geoffs been great.
i live in rural canada so getting gear backvm and forth has been a PITA. to save me headaches geoffs talked me thru minor issues on my 91759 and fetii comps.
im going to start with better ventilation.
any suggestions for a dead quiet fan?

Quote    Reply   

Mike Rivers

Aqua Marine

#8 [url]

Feb 28 17 5:25 PM

dovecreek wrote:
any suggestions for a dead quiet fan?

Any ol' DC fan that you can mount where it will be useful. Might be better to have it sucking warm air out than blowing room temperature air in. To make it quiet, drop the voltage to the fan to about half its rated voltage. Use a Zener diode rather than a resistor so if the fan gets sticky, it will still provide full current (instead of just heating up a dropping resistor).

For a good time, call mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help