Cirrus

Tin Man

#23 [url]

Mar 2 17 5:21 AM

morespaceecho wrote:
that's closer than nae slapping is to the fly. 

re: mysterious ways, i read a story somewhere that the edge overdubbed the main wah wah guitar bit onto the already-finished mix, either at the mastering session(!) or at the last second of mixing before they sent everything off. this seems totally crazy, it's really tough to imagine that song being "finished" without that guitar part. 

but true or not, that does seem kind of indicative of their working process, and i find it pretty charming/amusing. you have a band with all the money/resources in the world and yet their working method seems almost chaotic, it's always a last minute panic rush to get everything finished.

Thanks for the long post on the last page, I enjoyed it.

I was born in '85, so I came across AB, Joshua Tree and Zooropa at about the time Pop was coming out and after the band's peak of popularity/ relevance. I wish I could have experienced the release of Achtung Baby as an event, because it's such a change for a band of that stature.

re; Mysterious Ways, the actual wah-riff that begins the song and goes all the way through was one of the handfull of ideas that the Edge took to the first pre-production sessions for the album - there's a scene in "From the Sky Down" where they play the DAT tape the Edge did in his home studio, with that riff over a drum machine backing. The sound is actually a Korg A3 rack guitar multieffects with some kind of inverted envelope filter so the louder the signal, the more muted and grungey the sound, then there's some flange on it as well I think.

The bit that was overdubbed in mastering, I think, is the cleaner funky riff in the breakdown before the "One day you will look back..." section. It's also been said that the riff at the climax of "One" was overdubbed in mastering.

And yes, I've always thought it was a bit funny how indecisive they can be and how last minute some things are - after all, in "Pop" they released an album that just wasn't finished. If you look at their release schedule post-Pop, I think they've gone too far the other way - they're afraid to rush things, and as a result their releases have a bit of an overpolished/rough edges removed aspect to them and the mixes are full of extra synths etc.

Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#24 [url]

Mar 2 17 9:43 AM

yeah i haven't been super 100% into anything post-'pop'....i also think the super crushed loudness war production style of all the '00's records really didn't do them any favors...the last one was a lot better in that regard.

thanks for clarifying mysterious ways. we watched 'from the sky down' awhile back but i must've been in the kitchen getting more chips or something when that wah wah part was on. it makes a lot more sense that the bridge part was what he overdubbed in mastering.

speaking of bridges, AB is a master class. just about every song has a killer bridge. 

i was really looking forward to 'pop'.....got it right when it came out, ran home, put it on, HATED IT. put it away never listened to it again. fast forward to a couple summers ago, picked it up used for $3....put it on, absolutely LOVED IT, had it repeat for a week straight. the funny thing is there's a bunch of little production moves on there that have been my stock shtick for years, somehow that one listen back in '97 really sunk in! this time a year ago i spent all month on this science project:

https://prfmonthlytributeseries.bandcamp.com/track/mofo

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   

Cirrus

Tin Man

#25 [url]

Mar 2 17 11:47 AM

Very nice!

What did you do processing-wise on the "mofo" backing vocals?

My dad used to do London-New York quite a lot for work, one time in '97 he ended up sitting next to Howie B who worked on that record. They were both from Glasgow and hit it off, Howie gave him a copy of Pop and Passengers: Original Soundtracks and invited Dad to a party Bono was throwing. I was furious with him for not going.

The nice thing about Pop is how ludicrously messed up it is, in basically every sense. Their most overtly religious record, I think, yet at the same time so grimy it doesn't creep me out. Called "Pop" and filled with dance grooves, but some of the heaviest guitar work Edge ever did, and with some crazy production choices thanks I suspect to the unfinished mixes/parts.

I think the stuff that came after, even the smash hit stuff like "Beautiful Day" or "Vertigo", felt like it was coming from a different place. I'd be really curious to see what their standing in culture would have been if they'd thrown in the towel after Pop.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#26 [url]

Mar 2 17 12:01 PM

bob olhsson wrote:
Louis Jordan is the father of rock and roll. He came from the Cab Calloway band where swing was invented by him Cab Calloway and Ella Fitzgerald.

You have to give Basie a little credit for helping to go from two-beat bass to walking bass. Ellington also. But I'm nit-picking. I miss the fun and the humor in Louis Jordan's music. Rock and roll got so depressingly 'serious' in the sixties when it became Rock with a capitol 'R'

Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#27 [url]

Mar 2 17 2:11 PM

Cirrus wrote:
Very nice!

What did you do processing-wise on the "mofo" backing vocals?

My dad used to do London-New York quite a lot for work, one time in '97 he ended up sitting next to Howie B who worked on that record. They were both from Glasgow and hit it off, Howie gave him a copy of Pop and Passengers: Original Soundtracks and invited Dad to a party Bono was throwing. I was furious with him for not going.

The nice thing about Pop is how ludicrously messed up it is, in basically every sense. Their most overtly religious record, I think, yet at the same time so grimy it doesn't creep me out. Called "Pop" and filled with dance grooves, but some of the heaviest guitar work Edge ever did, and with some crazy production choices thanks I suspect to the unfinished mixes/parts.

I think the stuff that came after, even the smash hit stuff like "Beautiful Day" or "Vertigo", felt like it was coming from a different place. I'd be really curious to see what their standing in culture would have been if they'd thrown in the towel after Pop.

hey thanks!

backup vox were....my memory is hazy but i think it's just the mda combo plugin, probably on 'radio', and then some fake space echo. there might be some mda resonant filter too. the backup vox on the 2nd and 3rd verses are me making my singing debut, i couldn't figure out what the words were so i just said "little rat man" and that seemed close enough haha. the rest of the vox are a friend of mine, who did a fine job playing bono.

that song is not really much of a SONG, but i always loved that groove and that bassline, so i figured it'd be a good challenge to try and recreate it. it turned out to be a total ridiculous mountain of work, i literally spent a whole month on it. i'm never doing that again! good learning experience though. you wouldn't know it from a casual listen, but edge is playing some super hip rhythm guitar on that track. 

i don't think pop is a great record they way joshua tree and achtung are, BUT it is really fun to listen to and it's not as emotionally heavy as achtung. like, when i get to the end of achtung i don't feel the urge to start it over again, but i can listen to pop on repeat all day. 'do you feel loved' is one of my favorite tunes ever, that tune is basically perfect, 'last night on earth' is catchy as hell and has yet more killer rhythm guitar, larry mullen cops 'levee breaks' on 'miami' and does a better job of it than most people do. 

the first time i heard 'vertigo' i thought "this tune is stupid". the second time i heard it i thought "so what. this tune makes me feel good".

the first time i heard 'elevation' i thought "this tune is REALLY stupid". the second time i heard it i thought "i can't think, i'm dancing!" i mean you would really have to be a curmudgeon if that song doesn't get your toes tapping a bit. it makes me jump around the studio like a teenager.

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#29 [url]

Mar 3 17 8:20 AM

There was a lot of cross-pollenization. The Basie band's first gig in NY I believe was at the Savoy Ballroom alternating with Chick Webb, and it became one of the classic band battles. I can't say with any authority, but I have friends who will argue that it was Walter Page who was the first walking bass player. Here's an interesting article about the earliest practitioners of walking bass: http://www.ojbr.com/4-5.asp I'm a little embarrassed to say I've never heard of the guys before Pops Foster. Fascinating stuff, though. Guys who changed the world.

There's a little deli close to my house, and there's a couple of cute college-age girls who work the register. Mostly for my own amusement and since they have to be polite to me, I like to see who they know and who they don't. Some of the people they've never heard of: Jimmy Durante, Rodney Dangerfield, Bing Crosby, I hate to see those guys fade into obscurity, but I suppose there's a certain pleasure in discovering them for yourself if you care enough.

Quote    Reply   

bob olhsson

Aqua Marine

#30 [url]

Mar 4 17 6:59 PM

Webb was a hunchback who didn't fit the image the publicists wanted to sell the columnists. Calloway's grandson wrote me that his grandfather was livid that Webb never got the credit he and his band deserved. As far as he was concerned they had all been standing on Chick Webb's shoulders.

www.audiomastery.com Bob's room 615 562-4346 georgetownmasters.com Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233 www.thewombforums.com

Quote    Reply   

berolzheimer

Aqua Marine

#31 [url]

Mar 5 17 12:33 AM

bob olhsson wrote:
Webb was a hunchback...........
......they had all been standing on Chick Webb's shoulders.

No wonder he had a hunched back.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#32 [url]

Mar 5 17 5:23 PM

On SNL last night they mentioned this lawsuit during the "Weekend Update" section, stating that they didn't have much hope for Paul Rose because his lawyer was working "Pro Bono"

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help