weedywet

Ruby Baby

Lead

Mar 3 17 12:37 PM

Tags : :

So I'm consulting on a studio for a drummer and his concern is being able to work solo from the studio without having to walk back and forth to the control room. 

So so what do you guys know about the pro tools remote options?

He wants to be able to see the edit window from the studio so he can choose a drop in point to record. 
He main computer will be an iMac in the control room

What do we know?
and thanks!
Quote    Reply   

extrememixing

Platinum Blonde

#2 [url]

Mar 3 17 2:43 PM

Probably the easiest solution is to use an iPad and get Pro Tools Control. Here's a link.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pro-tools-control/id1017075761?mt=8

Or you could use a laptop and remote desktop to see the actual session on the iMac.

You could get the new Dock for more control. http://vintageking.com/avid-pro-tools-ipad-dock?gclid=Cj0KEQiAxeTFBRCGmIq_7rGt_r8BEiQANdPqUoeewX6hQtcwLq9X80Tyy8dNbWpbDpnd5TFgliB2oCgaAsLL8P8HAQ

Steve

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#3 [url]

Mar 3 17 4:30 PM

Remote Desktop seems to be the answer. 

Pt remote and slate remote don't show the edit window timeline, as far as I can ascertain. 

Quote    Reply   

Mystic Dave

Tin Man

#7 [url]

Mar 4 17 8:28 AM

Wireless keyboard and mouse (One set for control; one set for other location) .  HDMI Extension boxes that uses ethernet.  2nd monitor.  This was you have identical functunality in both places; no compromises.
On another note.. I also use two computer systems etherneted together with remote desktop; which is the best thing since sliced bread.  I'm always in record in a session and just desktop switch to do everything else of general purpose.  Never a hiccup or compromise to the record system.  When I work video I need more power so I use them separately; again  a set of wireless keyboard and mouse are labled and I pick them up carry to wherever I'm at.  I hope you get the idea..
I'm hooked up to control room, main room, and iso booth.  40" HDMI screens one in control room, one in studio and 22" on top of the system rack (14 Channels Daking and Axe FXIIXL+) where the main record computer resides next to) and 22" in the voc booth.  Computer systems are hard wired with ethernet extension together. 
Best wishes..

Quote    Reply   

owlander

Platinum Blonde

#8 [url]

Mar 4 17 10:01 AM

When I was fixing machines for a living we used to use VNC to remote onto a person's machine and fix it up. It's pretty fast with a good wireless setup and works great on mac or pc. I had it rigged up on my mom's laptop for control over a PC-HDMI television setup where she had to control the desktop from out in the living room. Short distance, fast wireless, good control.

Might be worth a look.
https://www.realvnc.com/

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#9 [url]

Mar 4 17 10:44 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll explore some of these further for sure. 

But what do these other solutions add that Apple Remote Desktop access doesn't?

Quote    Reply   

d gauss

Platinum Blonde

#10 [url]

Mar 4 17 11:18 AM

fwiw, reaper has amazing remote capability built in as is. use any phone, ipad, tablet etc. anything with wifi and a browser. i use it all the time when tracking drums by myself and it works great. what i haven't done, but apparently others have, is rewire reaper inside of protools. might be something to try just to see, considering you probably have an ipad/tablet/phone and the uncrippled reaper demo is free...

Quote    Reply   

chris carter

Silverado

#11 [url]

Mar 4 17 11:33 AM

I would think the easiest and most bullet-proof solution would be to just run a second computer screen in there along with a second wireless (or wired) keyboard and mouse.  I have a minature wireless keyboard/trackpad and a full size wireless keyboard and wireless mouse all connected to the computer in my living room at the same time and they get along fine.  I just use whichever one I want at any time (both at the exact same time can be kind of comical!).  The compatibility issues should last pretty much forever and can't get screwed up by software or OS updates and requires nearly zero tech knowledge to set up or run.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#12 [url]

Mar 4 17 11:43 AM

I've had good luck with Remote Desktop app over the years, but if it's possible, I don't see why running a secondary monitor/keys/mouse wouldn't be much better.

Less lag, you aren't looking at everything through a smaller window (edit - second thought, I think it goes fullscreen).

Last Edited By: gtoledo3 Mar 4 17 1:40 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

owlander

Platinum Blonde

#13 [url]

Mar 4 17 1:22 PM

VNC viewer(connect I think it's now called) isn't complicated and it scales to the same size as the laptop screen. I'm assuming he already has a wireless router setup in the studio that the mac is hooked to. Just hook the laptop to the internet, and download/install VNC and follow what the video below shows. Should give you fast control of whatever is on the control room mac screen on the laptop out in the studio. Quick and easy just to try. They work together so I don't there are any benefits per say...

[url=

Last Edited By: owlander Mar 4 17 1:46 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#15 [url]

Mar 4 17 11:09 PM

Someone previously alluded to HDMI extender over ethernet...and another post mentions just doing an HDMI run.

My first choice would probably look into going out of the miniDVI jack, and converting to DVI. Then I would use something like a Gefen DVI over Cat5/6 extender kit. Depending on what max resolution you need, you might even be able to find a NOS older model and shave off some cost. You will tend to get slightly longer distance using Cat6 cable, but you may not need it, and be able to save by using Cat5...just spec the supported distances out.

You could also convert from miniDVI to HDMI and use a similar type of ethernet/cat based system.

Then input into the monitor.

Monoprice makes some very low cost versions of these extenders, but I can't personally vouch for them.

I have less to say about wireless bluetooth for the mouse. Pretty hit or miss, you can only really test it in your scenario. A rogue concrete column here or there and you can be screwed when you wouldn't expect it.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#16 [url]

Mar 4 17 11:16 PM

I still like extending the video best and being 100% direct, but if all of the gear to do the remote desktop, including the secondary computer, was already available...might sway my choice in that direction for sure.

Side note on the Real VNC / VNC Viewer that Darrick mentions - note that you can see the OS X desktop from iOS devices, so that is sort of neat, if using an iPad would be preferred for some reason.

Quote    Reply   

owlander

Platinum Blonde

#17 [url]

Mar 5 17 11:40 AM

For me it would come down to how much portability I would need and/or how permanent of a situation it is. With a laptop and wireless control over the mac, it's so easy to move around. No picking up screens to move around, mice, keyboards, etc. If the installation is more permanent, it might be better to setup a dedicated HDMI clone of the screen in the studio with wireless keyboard and mouse. Again, I haven't tried VNC in this application so it would have to tried and found to either work or not. Personally, a 17" laptop screen would be big enough for me, if I found that the situation didn't impact performance in any meaningful way.

Also, with VNC you're running background remote services(on the mac) while tracking. Not sure how much this would effect things. I just like how portable the laptop is, if it could be made to work.
Fold up, put away.

Quote    Reply   

arconaut

Platinum Blonde

#18 [url]

May 12 17 8:43 AM

Hello,
I just found this thread... FWIW, you can vnc directly from within Apple's finder. Use the "go" menu and choose "connect to server" or be faster and just type command-k. Then into the address bar type in the IP address of the computer you want to control, such as:

vnc://192.168.1.666

If screen sharing is turned on in the preferences of the machine you want to control, it will ask you for the username/pw of that machine. Then you're in. Easiest is to manually set the IP address of the machine you want to control. Keeping that consistent will let you save this connection as an icon, which you can put in your dock, on desktop, wherever. When you make the connection, it opens up the mac Screen Share program (in CoreServices). From that menu bar, under "connection," you can "save as" and there is your shortcut to the computer you want to control.

One thing about ARD vs the built-in screen share is that ARD encypts data and screen share doesn't. So even though this isn't the scenario discussed here, if you were to use mac screen share across the internet, anything you type along the way (passwords) could be intercepted. In those cases, stick with ARD. But staying within one network, esp if you're behind a firewall, no issues there.

Can't speak for latency on this, but hey, keep some pre/post roll happening if you want to quick punch.

Quote    Reply   

archtop

Silverado

#19 [url]

May 14 17 11:02 AM

I would advise the guy wanting to engineer and drum to learn to use the count-off feature of the click and learn how many bars it takes (for that particular BPM) to walk to the drums, sit down, put on headphones. and then recording starts automatically.

Quote    Reply   

extrememixing

Platinum Blonde

#20 [url]

May 14 17 11:44 AM

archtop wrote:
I would advise the guy wanting to engineer and drum to learn to use the count-off feature of the click and learn how many bars it takes (for that particular BPM) to walk to the drums, sit down, put on headphones. and then recording starts automatically.

That's barbaric!!  Do you really think that's the best option available?  It certainly is not even close to the best option...

Steve

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help