barry hufker

Diamond Forever

Lead

Mar 8 17 2:38 AM

Tags : :

I remembered this song late tonight and just had to hear it.  IMO it's a great song with powerful lyrics.  And while Ms. Nyro's voice is not as good as others who have performed this song, it's "fun" to hear her sing it.  There are at least two versions of the lyrics and they are presented here.

Last Edited By: barry hufker Mar 8 17 2:17 PM. Edited 2 times

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#1 [url]

Mar 8 17 9:25 AM

I always liked Laura Nyro and thought there was something important happening in her.  She struck me as a delicate, eclectic and, possibly, was a tortured soul.  I saw her concert with LaBelle and enjoyed it.  

Quote    Reply   

ktownson

Aqua Marine

#3 [url]

Mar 8 17 10:32 AM

I'd take her voice over Streisand's any day. I liked Ronstadt's version of this song, too.

I was a big Blood, Sweat & Tears fan--her early career was intertwined with theirs--she almost became their singer after Al Kooper left. Wonder what that would have been like?

"Kerry fixed the stereo, and now it doesn't work." (My six-year-old sister)

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Mar 8 17 4:54 PM

I loved BS&T and played all their songs. Jim Fielder was a tasty bass player too. I think if she had played with them, it would have made some great and interesting chemistry

Quote    Reply   

ktownson

Aqua Marine

#5 [url]

Mar 8 17 6:31 PM

Oh, yeah! I loved how Fielder could effortlessly switch from rock to jazz in a beat. Like that break in Spinning Wheel on the album version.

I just have trouble imagining her voice holding up when they got rolling. I've seen them four times, once with the 2nd album lineup, once with the BS&T 4 personnel, once around the time of New City and the last year that DCT toured with them, which were all really good, but unknown touring guys. It must be a rush to step in front of that train!

"Kerry fixed the stereo, and now it doesn't work." (My six-year-old sister)

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#7 [url]

Mar 9 17 1:11 PM

I played with her a few years before she died. I think she wanted to move on and do songs that reflected who she'd become, and her label was still looking for those great early songs. Her arm couldn't be twisted and they weren't interested in what she had to say. It was a tough position - I felt for her.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help