seth

Ruby Baby

Lead

Mar 10 17 7:34 PM

Tags : :

I have a very old song of mine I need to send out, but the only file I can find is an mp3. I'd like to put it in ProTools and tweak it up. What's the best way to do that? RX5?
Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#3 [url]

Mar 11 17 2:55 AM

seth wrote:
I have a very old song of mine I need to send out, but the only file I can find is an mp3. I'd like to put it in ProTools and tweak it up. What's the best way to do that? RX5?

Not quite sure what you mean by "uncompress". You can convert the MP3 back to a WAV for additional processing in a DAW, but there's no way to undo the damage done by the lossy compression of the initial MP3 conversion - and from everything I've been told by the people who really know about this stuff if you convert the file back to MP3 or a similar format again the results will get really nasty.

The guy to really ask about this is James "JJ" Johnston, because the MP3 compression format is based on his work. JJ is a member here but I don't know how often he checks in. I*f you really need to reach him I can try emailing him.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#4 [url]

Mar 11 17 7:41 AM

Thanks gents. I imported it into ProTools, did some EQ and compression, converted it back to an mp3. It sounded fine so I sent it out into the great void that is music supervisors. I spent some time with J.J. at an AES show many years ago, though I doubt he'd remember me. Very nice guy. He tried to explain basic calculus to me, but my math skills are so poor I was lost.

Quote    Reply   

jerry tubb

Gold Finger

#5 [url]

Mar 11 17 8:40 AM

It'll never sound as good as the original HD Wave mix though.

Once those bits are gone...

So there's NO real "uncompressing" to be had, just conversion to Wav.

JT

Quote    Reply   

Justin P

Silverado

#6 [url]

Mar 11 17 11:43 AM

Also know that even if the mp3 sounds fine, after you work on it, it's likely to be converted to an mp3 or lossy format again down the line and this is where you are likely to hear some major issues in the high end due to transcoding (meaning and mp3 of an mp3 for example). Once the data is lost by going from WAV to mp3, you'll never get it back and the high end will suffer most if it ever becomes mp3 again (which is likely these days).

You can use tools like Sonnox ProCodec or the encoder checker in Ozone 7 to hear what an mp3 of an mp3 sounds like. Usually not good.

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#7 [url]

Mar 11 17 5:09 PM

It can be like converting a 72 dpi photo to 300 dpi.
Even though it says 300, it still retains the lower bit of graininess.
Keeping a lower ceiling on the new master (-1dBfs) and converting from 24 bit
can have some benefits when it goes through conversion round 2.

Last Edited By: waltzmastering Mar 11 17 5:12 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#8 [url]

Mar 11 17 7:04 PM

I had to get the song out ASAP, so I had to go with what I had. I couldn't face the thought of pulling out a DAT machine and going through a million old DATs, assumming the one machine I have left still works.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#10 [url]

Mar 12 17 9:32 AM

I reconverted it to MP3 before I sent it out - the very high end sounds a little closed in, but otherwise it sounds good. I guess I'll count myself lucky and try to avoid this in the future.

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#12 [url]

Mar 12 17 11:02 AM

it's just another reason I avoid even bouncing MP3s at all.

I want people to hear the wavs, and I want them to HAVE the file as wav for future needs such as this.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#13 [url]

Mar 12 17 12:07 PM

I went through all my old drives, a half-dozen or so cold storage drives, assuming I had it somewhere as a wav or even an SDII, but it wasn't there. I got the mp3 from my cowriter, who had it in her phone, as she was about to get on a plane. Much as I dread the thought, I might have to spend some time doing transfers from my DAT machine.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help