malcolmboyce

Gold Finger

#42 [url]

Mar 15 17 5:55 PM

scullyfan wrote:
A friend and I flew to St. John, New Brunswick and had a marvelous time, also since 911. 

"Saint John"....  :-)  The locals are particular about that.

On point, I have friends who are now concerned about travel from Canada to the US for music related work.  This is something that rarely came up in conversation, but now seems to be a common topic.  Certainly a change in atmosphere here.

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#43 [url]

Mar 15 17 6:15 PM

malcolmboyce wrote:

scullyfan wrote:
A friend and I flew to St. John, New Brunswick and had a marvelous time, also since 911. 

"Saint John"....  :-)  The locals are particular about that.

​Thanks for the clarification! I really want to go back there and be on good terms :)

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#44 [url]

Mar 15 17 6:29 PM

A little OT, but as long as we are in international waters, anyone here from the Amsterdam area? I would like to get a video copy of a show we did there in 72. Not sure they archived it. Had no luck locating the video from Japan.

Quote    Reply   

tb av

Platinum Blonde

#45 [url]

Mar 17 17 3:26 PM

@Chance, I know a guy over in The Hague and a few others over that way. If you have a specific thing they can look for, I'll ask. All are into music in one way or another but mostly young... not even born then.

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#46 [url]

Mar 18 17 9:43 PM

Great!! The band was either Mason Dixon & the Line OR just Mason & Dixon. The song was "Acapulco Gold", but for some reason in Amsterdam they called it "The Whistle Song". Around 71 or 72
(Walking down a sidewalk and seeing the live women in the store front windows blew me away LOL)

Quote    Reply   

tb av

Platinum Blonde

#47 [url]

Mar 18 17 10:01 PM

Is this you? ... not the one you want but...   So they might find something under Bobby Mason - Tony Dixon ?

Last Edited By: tb av Mar 18 17 10:05 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#48 [url]

Mar 18 17 10:43 PM

tb av wrote:
Is this you? ... not the one you want but...   So they might find something under Bobby Mason - Tony Dixon ?

Yes with my beloved Tele bass just after returning from our first trip to Japan. We had those outfits made in Japan. That video surfaced only a few of years ago. The Bobby Vincent show in Boston. We taped the show after a gig. That song "McArther park/I don't want to cry" was recorded at Dimension studio in Jamaca Plains just outside of Boston and mixed in NY. Terry had a short stay at that studio too. I asked Bobby Vincent why he cut it short, and his answer was vaugue. something techinical.

Chance Pataki The Musicians Workshop www.the-musicians-workshop.com musicians.workshop@gte.net

Last Edited By: chance Mar 18 17 10:47 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

tb av

Platinum Blonde

#49 [url]

Mar 19 17 12:54 PM

This is all he could find but I think you have it. It's not a video... https://www.top40.nl/mason-dixon/mason-dixon-acapulco-gold-3962

Here's what he said.... If you remember a TV station or what have you, I can forward it to him.

That's really all i could find on Google.nl, i suppose that will probably be the right song, considering it's a similarly named band, and the song came out in the right period.
The only real option for finding more info would be more detail as to where he played, if it was just a gig (in which case it's unlikely there's any footage), or a Dutch TV show (in which case you're better off sending me an email with all info you might have)

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#50 [url]

Mar 19 17 7:39 PM

Actually we never played there. It was the only place in the world we had a number one hit and we were working in Germany, so they flew us to Holland just to do the TV show. We were only there 2 days. Listening to that link you posted sure did take me back. It's funny because all our songs that hit the charts were NOT representative of the band's (The Line) music. We were a high energy horn group. There is nothing like playing bass with a good drummer and horns. The dynamics from playing super soft to pushing my SVT to the max was so satisfying.
Thank you for reaching out. I guess that video was not archived at the TV station in Holland. Back then who'd of thunk there would be something like the internet

Quote    Reply   

Mickeyrouse

Silverado

#51 [url]

Mar 21 17 11:53 PM

weedywet wrote:
In a very detailed Facebook post related to last week’s controversy about immigration language in the SXSW contract, immigration lawyer Matthew Covey, who’s co-presenting the Contrabanned: #MusicUnites showcase next Friday at the fest, explained that artists are able to use the Visa Waiver Program, to perform at SXSW without employment visas “under a narrow exception to the law carved out for performances that are effectively auditions… ‘bona fide industry showcases.'”

“The problem however is that the applicability of the ‘showcase exception’ to SXSW is something of a legal grey area, given that SXSW is kind of an audition, but it’s also kind of a party,” he wrote. “The vast majority of artists who enter the U.S. to perform at SXSW without employment visas do so successfully, but this is because U.S. Department of State and Customs and Border Protection are—so far—playing ball. Presumably they recognize that SXSW is in the interests of American commerce, and poses little threat to American security or labor interests”

The reality of SWSX is that very few bands get paid. "Party" is definitely the operative word. Visas are so much easier to get if compensation
is not involved.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#52 [url]

Mar 22 17 8:16 AM

Shortly after 9/11 I had a gig playing a solo looping show in a museum in Minneapolis, so I brought my Steinberger in it's gig bag as carry on for the flight. 

The standard Steinberger GL-4 gig bag looks exactly like a rifle case:

s-l225.jpg

I was going through airport security at JFK, laid the guitar on the x-ray belt and walked through... the security guy waved me over immediately...

"Oh, shit..!"  I thought..

He was scanning it back and forth and back and forth and frowning at the screen...

Sir is this your item?

Yes it is.

It has no truss rod?

No it doesn't...

How do you tune it?

"The little calipers in the bridge"..

Cool..!

Whew...

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#53 [url]

Mar 22 17 10:12 AM

Last time I got pulled over for speeding (LESS than 10 miles over, I might add).... the cop came out hot, with his hand on his gun.

I guess he thought I was loaded to the gills with arms, with all the guitar soft cases and condenser mic boxes in the backseat!

Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#54 [url]

Mar 22 17 11:07 AM

george did he let you off? i got stopped doing 80 in a 65 and he let me go, saying "just try and keep it under 75."

my bandmate in the passenger seat: "did a cop just tell us to break the law?"
"yes. just less than we are now."

years ago, pre 9/11, going through airport security with a sansamp with patch cables wrapped around it in my bag...they're looking at it on the scanner, "sir, what exactly is this?" i look at the scanner and damn if it didn't look just like a really crude bomb. i explained and it was no problem. now i'd probably be in guantanamo!

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   

ktownson

Aqua Marine

#55 [url]

Mar 22 17 12:03 PM

zmix wrote:
Shortly after 9/11 I had a gig playing a solo looping show in a museum in Minneapolis, so I brought my Steinberger in it's gig bag as carry on for the flight. 

The standard Steinberger GL-4 gig bag looks exactly like a rifle case:

I was going through airport security at JFK, laid the guitar on the x-ray belt and walked through... the security guy waved me over immediately...

"Oh, shit..!"  I thought..

He was scanning it back and forth and back and forth and frowning at the screen...

Sir is this your item?

Yes it is.

It has no truss rod?

No it doesn't...

How do you tune it?

"The little calipers in the bridge"..

Cool..!

Whew...

I got stopped, ostensibly for a broken headlight, with one of these travel guitars on the front seat of my raggedy old pickup truck.  Female sheriff's deputy approaches the car from the back, with one of those megawatt flashlights burning my face. 
 image"is that a rifle?"
"No, ma'am, that's a guitar."
"Right. Where you coming from tonight?"
"Church."
"Right. On a Tuesday night?"
"We had a revival."
"Right. Could you step out of the car, slowly, with your hands in sight? And may we have permission to search your vehicle?"

As I got out I noticed the other four police cars from three agencies, and three officers standing 10 feet away with their hands hovering over their guns. Turns out that some foolish woman from Arkansas decided to join some rednecks in our part of the woods for some kind of KKK initiation earlier that day. Somehow it turned into a sexual assault, beating and shooting, and the whole parish was on the lookout for the armed suspects, last seen in an old red pickup. It was quite tense for several minutes until they radioed back checking my license. 

They stopped searching my truck at that point. One of the deputies pointed to the now-opened case and says, "man, that's an ugly guitar."

"Kerry fixed the stereo, and now it doesn't work." (My six-year-old sister)

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#56 [url]

Mar 22 17 12:04 PM

morespaceecho wrote:
george did he let you off? i got stopped doing 80 in a 65 and he let me go, saying "just try and keep it under 75."

my bandmate in the passenger seat: "did a cop just tell us to break the law?"
"yes. just less than we are now."

This is quite striking, to me. I've never had this exact experience, but I've been shown leniency, too (little stuff, seatbelt laws, etc). But some folks I know would find the above anecdote to be completely foreign and bizarre.

There's much more to say, and much more context with which we could frame this. But for Terry's sake, though, perhaps not at the moment.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#57 [url]

Mar 22 17 12:36 PM

"george did he let you off?"

I was surprised to have received a ticket since I was only about 8 miles over, and to my estimation, driving along with the flow of traffic. It seems like there is a 10 mile an hour grace window on highways for the most part.

I think that a speed trap was being run and he literally just got done doing the paperwork for the last ticket. I figure that they must have not ticketed enough people to meet the quota, so they were scrapping the bottom and ticketing anyone even a small amount over. It was on the edge of a county somewhat notorious for BS traffic penalties.

Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#58 [url]

Mar 22 17 1:23 PM

soapfoot wrote:

This is quite striking, to me. I've never had this exact experience, but I've been shown leniency, too (little stuff, seatbelt laws, etc). But some folks I know would find the above anecdote to be completely foreign and bizarre.

oh yeah, for sure. i'm quite sure my interactions with cops are not how things go for a lot of people.

another time, on tour, middle of the night driving from kentucky to ohio if i remember right, i get stopped doing like 85 in a 55 mph construction zone (fines doubled!). cop asks "what are you guys doing?"
"we're, um, a rock band, sir."
"where you headed tonight?"
"ohio, sir."
"alright. take it easy on the gas pedal for me, ok?"

and that was it. we couldn't believe it. 

i've been stopped for speeding probably a half dozen times, they always let me off with at most a written warning. one cop said "you pulled right over and admitted to speeding so i'll let you go". this was surpising to me, as i couldn't imagine what else you'd do in that situation, but i guess cops deal with people lying to them all the time, and if you're just honest, it's like a breath of fresh air to them and they're inclined to give you a break. but of course i say that as a non-descript looking white dude...

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#59 [url]

Mar 23 17 7:22 AM

I once got pulled for for doing something certainly excessive on the NY Thruway, I might have been going 90. I was following two other guys and the cop came up from behind. He told me very firmly to wait there for him and went off after the others. I waited at least an hour - I was petrified to leave. He finally came back and said because I had waited like he asked he was going to let me go with a warning.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#60 [url]

Mar 23 17 8:26 AM

I got a ticket literally 2 doors down from my house (no exaggeration) on my own street because the NYPD cop saw me put my seatbelt on. Full disclosure, I DID suddenly decide to put my seatbelt on at that moment because I saw the cop car sitting there. But still... I was on my street, two doors down from my house.

It was hilarious, actually. He lights them up, I pull over. He comes up to my window, already with an attitude.

"So I see you have your seatbelt on."
"Yes sir."
"Did you have it on a second ago?"
"Well no, sir, I just put it on."
"Well that means you were driving without your seatbelt on."
"Well yes, sir, technically I was, for a second there..."

The whole thing with major dirty looks and a sneer. I think he must've had me confused with someone else that he had something against, or something! Either that, or wearing seatbelts is of great importance to him, personally.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help