Tate

Tin Man

Lead

Mar 21 17 3:34 PM

Tags : :

I shipped a Stratocaster across the country today.  A dreadnought-sized guitar box, 19 pounds, cost 69 bucks to ship through UPS, even with the eBay discount.  Possibly twice what it cost a year ago.  Fedex prices are similar.  (I could have cut the cost slightly by using a smaller box, but I didn't have one.)  Anyone else notice these inflated prices?  Are there alternatives to the big 3 shippers (Fedex, UPS, USPS)?  Thanks.  - Tate Ferguson
Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#1 [url]

Mar 21 17 4:19 PM

Curious what the value was, and if that included insurance?

Haven't shipped guitars in a while, but around $75 for shipping, including up to $1k insurance is about what I
remember usps first class costing in the states maybe 4-5 years ago. I quit using evil bay since their fees have
gotten out of hand

Quote    Reply   

Tate

Tin Man

#2 [url]

Mar 21 17 5:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. I sold the used Mexican guitar for 250 plus 30 shipping. Little did I know that last year's shipping price is not this year's. Plus ebay fee, plus PP fee... local CL would have been a far better venue to sell this bulky, inexpensive item. Guess I have to regard this as "paying for my education".

Quote    Reply   

tim halligan

Platinum Blonde

#3 [url]

Mar 21 17 8:49 PM

Well...it ain't just guitar shipping prices...

Imagine you're a guitar player in Australia, and you find what appears to be a bargain price for 72 guitar picks of the exact type you use on a large American retailer's website. Let's call that webstore "Tweetwater"...

"72 picks for $12.95? Where does one sign?" says you.

So you click the buttons...and the website says "calculating shipping"...

Total cost inc shipping: $54.95

Does $42 to ship probably 250 grammes of weight in something the size of a standard envelope seem reasonable to you?

Yeah...me neither.

Cheers,
Tim

An analogue brain in a digital world

Quote    Reply   

Tate

Tin Man

#4 [url]

Mar 22 17 8:15 AM

The vagaries of shipping and manufacturing are beyond understanding. 

Yesterday I received a box shipped from Hong Kong, containing two 100K potentiometers I ordered off eBay to fix an old battery-powered preamp.  Price of the two pots, including shipping from HK to Minneapolis: one dollar.   - Tate F.

Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#5 [url]

Mar 24 17 4:42 PM

International shipping prices prices are likely to get much worse as the incompetants in Washington continue to offend and rile foreign governments. Dunno about domestic, but I'm not hopeful. You can bet that prices on anything from Mexico are going to go up.

Last Edited By: John Eppstein Mar 24 17 4:50 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help