scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#23 [url]

Mar 23 17 6:50 PM

morespaceecho wrote:

waltzmastering wrote:

gtoledo3 wrote:
The one that stands out as looking most correct to me, aesthetically speaking, is the Tele SG. I think it's pretty cool!

I like that one best as well, but would like it with a maple 24 fret L6S neck.
The Jackson on the bottom is nice too...

i liked the tele sg best too, and i gotta say that jackson looks like a pretty nice piece of wood.

i have a jackson dinky, reverse headstock, black (of course).....i think it looks cool. i don't care how uncool that makes me! 

​I've got a Charvel 650XL (sortofa Jackson Soloist) that I used to like alot. Jackson pickups, active electronics, Schaller Floyd Rose, perfect intonation all the way up the neck. I never thought too much about whether anybody thought it was cool or not. You could dump the strings off the neck with the wammy bar and when released the strings would come back perfectly in tune. Hey, I still think that's very cool. As someone mentioned earlier somewhere, the Floyd Rose system makes it a bitch to put new strings on and get it in tune. I still prefer playing my '91 Les Paul, but I think the Charvel is worth keeping. Neither are anything like a Tele, of course.

Last Edited By: scullyfan Mar 24 17 8:17 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#24 [url]

Mar 23 17 8:31 PM

Some Jacksons and Charvels are very nice, and with the neck through body and ebony finger boards can be pretty quick. 
I used  to sometimes take guitars in trade for studio time, and got a Jackson for a project that I was working on with Nuno Bettencourt. 
It was pretty nice, but I couldn't take the red color.  For nit picking, I also prefer/ed the Kahler system over Rose

Another Funky Tele

Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#27 [url]

Mar 23 17 10:13 PM

waltzmastering wrote:

Another Funky Tele

ha! i was thinking about the iceman (guitar, not albert collins) earlier, and i thought if you rounded off the top horn and did *something* with that stupid bottom horn, you would have a nice looking guitar. 

and then i thought: well, then you'd just have a firebird (which i think are really cool looking guitars). but this is actually what you'd have!

possible thread drift re: locking trems....i never played one, but i've always thought the steinberger transtrem (all the strings go up or down in tune together) was an under-utilized idea.

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#28 [url]

Mar 23 17 10:31 PM

waltzmastering wrote:
Some Jacksons and Charvels are very nice, and with the neck through body and ebony finger boards can be pretty quick. 
I used  to sometimes take guitars in trade for studio time, and got a Jackson for a project that I was working on with Nuno Bettencourt. 
It was pretty nice, but I couldn't take the red color.  For nit picking, I also prefer/ed the Kahler system over Rose

Another Funky Tele

​I had a guitar with the Kahler system and it was great, probably better than Schaller's take on the FR. Not as fiddly...

Quote    Reply   

demiana

Gold Finger

#29 [url]

Mar 24 17 3:28 AM

I do like the Tele/offset hybrid with the Bigsby (second from last in the OP). Is that a custom job, or an actual production guitar?

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#30 [url]

Mar 24 17 7:03 AM

soapfoot wrote:
I played a '59 Esquire Custom today that had me thinking about selling a kidney

At least you have another one - kidney, that is.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#31 [url]

Mar 24 17 9:55 AM

demiana wrote:
I do like the Tele/offset hybrid with the Bigsby (second from last in the OP). Is that a custom job, or an actual production guitar?

It's a Fender Custom Shop job by John Cruz.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#32 [url]

Mar 25 17 10:46 AM

zmix wrote:
Lest we (try to) forget....

gibson-Marauder76[1].jpg

GibsonMarauder.jpg

The Gibson Marauder was produced from 1974 to 1979 and originally sold for under $400 USD. The design is obviously derived from the Les Paul but has some Fender-ish traits in that the body is contoured and the neck is bolted on to the body. The fingerboard on the above-pictured example from 1978 is Maple which is another Fender-like appointment, although a more traditional Gibson-esque Rosewood fingerboard was also offered.

Pickups are custom designed Bill Lawrence units sealed in clear epoxy: a humbucker in the neck position and a solid-blade style single coil at the bridge (angled like the bridge pickup of a Tele or Strat).

The earliest examples produced had a 3-position pickup selector, but the Marauder pictured is a later model featuring a rotary switch allowing a blend of the two pickups to be selected. On even later models (from 1979, I'm guessing), this switch was located between the volume and tone knobs.

Often considered too Fender-like for Gibson players and vice versa, the Gibson Marauder wasn't a particularly successful guitar, although that didn't stop the Japanese producing copies of it. I remember in the punk days seeing The Buzzcocks using these guitars and I thought they looked very cool especially with that Flying V-style headstock shape. I guess they were reasonably cheap at around that time and would have been favoured by the punk bands.

Last Edited By: zmix Mar 25 17 10:48 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#34 [url]

Mar 25 17 4:52 PM

soapfoot wrote:
Haha! It's all good, you got me good!

I believe the knobs in question are made from a 12 gauge shotgun shell, or are one of the newer things designed to look like they were.

Allparts sells one like so: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/allparts-12-gauge-shotgun-shell-knob

Maybe I'm late to the party, but those knobs sure look like the back sides of CTS pots to me!

Quote    Reply   

digitmus

Gold Finger

#36 [url]

Mar 25 17 11:21 PM

I feel highly unqualified to post in this topic, since the only guitars mentioned that I own are a Godin Acousticaster, and a Gibson Marauder. The 2 most hated guitars in the thread.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#37 [url]

Mar 25 17 11:55 PM

Hahah, the Godin took some serious heat recently.

I think the Marauders can be cool, but they are just a little jarring if you're expecting a certain type of Gibson feel.

Last Edited By: gtoledo3 Mar 25 17 11:59 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#38 [url]

Mar 26 17 8:11 AM

John Eppstein wrote:

soapfoot wrote:
Haha! It's all good, you got me good!

I believe the knobs in question are made from a 12 gauge shotgun shell, or are one of the newer things designed to look like they were.

Allparts sells one like so: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/allparts-12-gauge-shotgun-shell-knob

Maybe I'm late to the party, but those knobs sure look like the back sides of CTS pots to me!

​That's exactly what they look like to me, as well.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#39 [url]

Mar 26 17 3:19 PM

gtoledo3 wrote:
Hahah, the Godin took some serious heat recently.

I think the Marauders can be cool, but they are just a little jarring if you're expecting a certain type of Gibson feel.

...or sound...

...or aesthetic...

...or resale value...

..or street cred...

"FOR BREAKING ONLY"

1976_MarauderBreaking

Last Edited By: zmix Mar 26 17 3:40 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#40 [url]

Mar 26 17 4:29 PM

Man, I remember being a kid around '94 and they had a used Gibson "Sonex 180" at my local store.

"Whoa, an old Gibson I could actually sort of afford, if I saved up..."

Then I played it, and was kind of "meh," and then I found out they weren't even made of wood.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help