digitmus

Gold Finger

#41 [url]

Mar 26 17 10:50 PM

I do like the sound of the Marauder (in the hands of a guitarist who will take it for what it is, rather than mistaken expectations). The Godin is another can of worms. The neck & action are quite good. The onboard electronics are kaput! I've been thinking of installing something like a DPA 4060 in the chamber with the resonator tines, and a tele pickup at neck position. Think that might make for an interesting rhythm guitar.

Quote    Reply   

crazydoc

Silverado

#42 [url]

Mar 27 17 12:33 AM

My Marauder just rests in its case as it slowly increases in value through the years. I doubt it will ever be worth enough to pay for my cremation.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#46 [url]

Apr 19 17 12:41 PM

I know that Leo Fender was a "Form Follows Function" designer, but it mystifies me why the controls on the Telecaster are laid out as they are, I realize they were derived from the original Esquire, but in that guitar the layout was Tone/Volume/Tone. Was it true that guitar players in the early 1950s needed to adjust their tone more than their volume? I suppose the nomenclature was "lead" and "rhythm" and "bass" in some cases..
I'm fairly new to the Telecaster so I am just surprised that the pickup selector nearly hits the volume control when in the 'lead" position, because the volume control isn't in the center of the control plate.

I think the "reversed" layout some people use seems far more functional....

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/how-did-leo-get-this-so-wrong.508541/

Thoughts?

Last Edited By: zmix Apr 19 17 12:56 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#47 [url]

Apr 19 17 4:48 PM

If you do a lot of pinky volume swells and Gatton-style real-time tone knob manipulation, it makes sense to reverse the control plate.

I have mine stock; it doesn't bother me where it is. I think Leo couldn't have anticipated that people would use the knobs in real time while playing as a technique. Nothing like that had ever happened before. So I think we can excuse him

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#48 [url]

Apr 19 17 5:19 PM

Certainly... as a Telecaster newbie, I can attest that nearly every design issue I've encountered has been addressed and corrected in the subsequent model, which he called the "Stratocaster"

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#49 [url]

Apr 19 17 5:32 PM

Sometimes improvements are not necessary, but when they are available I always admire it when someone knows exactly what they need from an instrument and it becomes a tool of self expression rather than an object of self expression...

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#51 [url]

Apr 19 17 8:32 PM

As a Tele player, that middle pic configuration would force me to look elsewhere, as the pickup selector switch it the one I use most...

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#55 [url]

Apr 20 17 9:16 AM

I like a Strat style plastic knob on the Tele pickup selector, since it is less crowded for space.

The Tele did go through two (at least) two wiring changes before settling on the modern one in the 60s. I have always found those earlier ones to be a little bizarre, but they are each cool in their own way.

Since my Telecaster was routed for a humbucker in the middle when I bought it, I wound up putting in a 5 way switch. Positions 1, 2, 3 match the pickups. Position 2 is a combo of neck single and the humbucker (I love this, the result is very crisp sounding), but position 4 is a coil tap of the humbucker.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#56 [url]

Apr 20 17 9:44 AM

I've always regarded the original Telecaster (albeit with the post-1967 wiring, which most earlier Telecasters have by now been modified to have) as a mature technology. To me, it's in need of no further improvements or refinements... sort of like the fork or the spoon.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#58 [url]

Apr 20 17 10:26 AM

zmix wrote:
Yes exactly. It is a bit surprising that allowing the use of both pickups simultaneously wasn't available for the first 15 years of production...

And nearly as surprising that the Stratocaster didn't allow you to combine pickups until around 1977.

Any strat earlier than about mid '76 with a 5-way switch has been modified (either with extra 'notches' filed in the metal switch housing, or with an aftermarket switch).

I believe this was just because there were no mass-produced 5-way switches that would've fit the bill until that point, but still, it's interesting. My '58 still has the original 3-way. You can get the 2 and 4 positions by very carefully balancing the blade. Good enough to lay down a part, but not really reliable enough for live use.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#59 [url]

Apr 20 17 10:35 AM

On the topic of limitations, I have an SG shaped Melody Maker with a single humbucker and volume control, no tone. A fantastic guitar!

Makes me more conscious of controlling where I pick for different tones, and that sort of holds over when I use other guitars.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#60 [url]

Apr 20 17 10:39 AM

From Wikipedia, interesting about the blend knob on earliest versions:

"The original switch configuration used from 1950 to 1952 allowed selection of neck pickup with treble tone cut in the first position (for a bassier sound), the neck pickup with its natural tone in the second position with no tone, and in the third switch position both pickups together with the neck pickup blended into the bridge, depending on the position of the second "tone" knob. The first knob functioned normally as a master volume control. This configuration did not have a true tone control knob."

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help