silvertone

Aqua Marine

Lead

Mar 23 17 7:32 AM

Tags : :

Looking for an Ampex 300-3 or 350 1/2" machine in good shape.

Considering ATR102 1/2" as well. 

Also would consider any Presto 825 recorder. 

Fair prices considered... thank you.
Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#2 [url]

Mar 24 17 2:26 PM

Thanks so much Jamie. Please let me know if you find out anything.

I've got a call into Bob Irwin about buying his Presto 825 3 track. It's the one that Mark Wilder used to do some of the Columbia 30th Street transfers with. Bob offered to sell it to me about 5 years ago so I want to see if I can grab it. Sundazed Music only an hour and fifteen minutes away from Silvertone so picking this up would be a breeze. Not sure that he really wants to get rid of it now.

I just missed getting Tom Fines parents Ampex 300-3. Talk about history!

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Mar 28 17 2:00 PM

Yes those are them. The director of Jazz at Lincoln center bought the gates tube console and the Ampex 300-3 from Tom. I contacted him to see he'd be interested in selling the machine since he is so busy with the Center now. Even tough it may be years till he gets around to he is going to hold onto them for a while. The machine is actually out in Washington with Dave Dintenfass being restored at the moment. So I'm not he only crazy bastard with this idea!

Got a line on an ATR 102 for a great price, talking with a Ken Mckim earlier today he said that is what he would advise I go with... for many reasons.

Last Edited By: silvertone Mar 29 17 4:38 AM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

jzombie

Gold Finger

#6 [url]

Mar 28 17 4:14 PM

Small world indeed, Larry, as the gentleman you referred to is a good friend of mine, and I was about to email him on your behalf to see if he was planning to hang on to the 300-3. Happy to know he is as I've been the beneficiary of many of his "crazy bastard" gear purchases over the years...

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#7 [url]

Mar 28 17 8:30 PM

It is a very small industry... two degrees of separation.

Ken is a sweetheart and a personal friend. Once he gets back from his "forced" vacation (ha ha) he's going to finish off the tube console, adding the mods I want done and a custom panel to the back. I'm very excited.

J please, still feel free to press him to sell me the 300-3... : ) Small world indeed.

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#10 [url]

Apr 7 17 2:34 PM

Well gang Bob Irwin is going to sell me his mint condition Presto 825 1/2" 3 track recorder from Sundazed Records (that he got off Mark Wilder). I guess Mark used this machine (for Sony) to mix some of the Columbia 30th street tapes to make new masters about a decade ago.

I am over the top excited. Once paired with the Langevin I hope to cut some beautiful live music with her. Especially if I can incorporate some of the features that I want into the Langevin... I have the utmost faith in Ken McKim so it shouldn't be a problem, as long as I hit the lottery. lol

One thing I know, it will be a unique sound... that is for sure.

Silvertone Mastering, celebrating 28 years in business.

www.silvertonemastering.com

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#11 [url]

Apr 7 17 4:05 PM

WOW! I'm so excited for you! "Please" keep us posted on the play by play progress of your project. It's great to have projects like this to look forward to. Can't wait

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#13 [url]

Apr 8 17 12:51 AM

silvertone wrote:
Well gang Bob Irwin is going to sell me his mint condition Presto 825 1/2" 3 track recorder from Sundazed Records (that he got off Mark Wilder). I guess Mark used this machine (for Sony) to mix some of the Columbia 30th street tapes to make new masters about a decade ago.

I am over the top excited. Once paired with the Langevin I hope to cut some beautiful live music with her. Especially if I can incorporate some of the features that I want into the Langevin... I have the utmost faith in Ken McKim so it shouldn't be a problem, as long as I hit the lottery. lol

One thing I know, it will be a unique sound... that is for sure.

I thought I had read a long time ago that Mark had used that deck to remaster "Kind Of Blue" and had to fact check that, ..but it looks to be true..  anyway congrats.
http://www.emusician.com/artists/1333/the-50th-anniversary-of-kind-of-blue-remastering-a-masterpiece-for-cd-and-vinyl/40896

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#14 [url]

Apr 8 17 10:25 AM

I asked a few questions in the Isn't She Beautiful thread in the whatever works forum.

Self sync being one. Modern tape formulations that would work being the other.

If anybody knows the answers can they post them in the Isn't She Beautiful thread. Thank you!

Silvertone Mastering, celebrating 28 years in business.

www.silvertonemastering.com

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help