trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

Lead

Mar 24 17 5:54 PM

Tags : :

So i've been jamming on electric for a while and put the acoustic aside. I was going thru other songs listening to guitar tones and I really like this guitar tone. I know its youtube but you get the idea. Its sort of a mid rangey raw rock sound. I have been messing with some sounds but I cant get really close to this. Which is fine but then I wondered, are these just guitar to marshall? ala ac/dc or are they pretty effected? 

just wondering what is going on and what you think? and if a client showed up asking for a sound like this what amp, or pedals woud you reach for? and int the mix whats going on with them?

thanks!

[url=

Quote    Reply   

timc

Silverado

#1 [url]

Mar 24 17 6:32 PM

Start with any Gibson gtr with solid wood or a block of wood under humbucker PUs, and an amp with EL34s. There are vids of him playing SGs, 335s, Explorers using Marshalls. He looks like he has an endorsment from Wizard amps... 

Quote    Reply   

chrisj

Gold Finger

#3 [url]

Mar 24 17 7:15 PM

Definitely the AC/DC thing, in a big way. It sounds to me like a particular bag of tricks: I could believe that the guitar's going through that wireless/compressor Angus Young used (there are standalone boxes for that now, or at least there have been), and I think the capture sounds like that classic trick: have the amp sounding like an icepick to the ear, then closemike it in just the right spot with a SM57. These things condition the existing gibson/marshall sound to bring it nearer to what I'm hearing on that track.

This is the guy who made a standalone box (for the Schaffer diversity wireless system and its built in compression): http://solodallas.com/the-schaffer-replica but it's damn expensive!

Chris Johnson, airwindows.com

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#4 [url]

Mar 24 17 9:24 PM

Or use a decent mic instead

if you're going to cite AC/DC e.g. Then the Back In Black (their quintessential recording) guitars were recorded with 67s or 87s.

Last Edited By: weedywet Mar 24 17 9:31 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#5 [url]

Mar 24 17 9:58 PM

There was a really good breakdown of the actual AC/DC Back in Black recording methodology somewhere in this forum, wasn't it?

In addition to what WW says, I seem to remember that it was said that there were two on a speaker at 45 degree angles, pretty close... Presumably the best speaker. I guess I'd look for the thread.

Did Angus just crank it, or use Master Volume control? Or any pedals? I got the impression he cranked it, and that the wireless also jacked up the level and compressed it.

I have no idea if any pedals are being used on that clip above, or what, but I might look at a BOSS OD1 (original), SD1, ZVEX "Distortron" or "Box of Rock"(same distortion circuit as Distortron). You could probably get a similar kind of overdrive/distortion and tonality with something like that in front of a decent tube amp, if you don't happen to have a Marshall already. There are probably a million other things, but that's what comes to mind for me.

No doubt, Angus did NOT use a Z Vex, haha....but I think any of those can get in that general tone zone in front of a decent tube amp.

Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

Mar 25 17 10:27 AM

chance wrote:
Why does that bands logo look so familiar?

it looks like metallica's with a haircut.
gtoledo wrote:
There was a really good breakdown of the actual AC/DC Back in Black recording methodology somewhere in this forum, wasn't it?

this one?

http://prorecordingworkshop.lefora.com/topic/3836182/Back-In-Black-Further-Notes?page=1#.WNaLfDsrLIU

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#7 [url]

Mar 25 17 11:06 AM

Thanks all, to me it sounds alot more effected than a dryer and cleaner ac/dc sound. I know, well ive read, angus and malcoml just go direct to the amp, no pedals or anything. also their sound is quite clean. this to me seems to have alot more distortion, mid range, verby thing going on. i wonder though, if they recorded direct and had just a clean crunch, what is added to flush it out like this> woudl reverb, or delay or comp all be added after the fact?

Metallica with a haircut, lol, hahaha that made me paugh and itts true!

Quote    Reply   

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#11 [url]

Mar 25 17 7:02 PM

Its been a long time since i just rocked something and have been having fun with the 2 guitar, one bass, drums thing and have been trying to get that raw sound and mix, which isn't working out to well so far :)

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#12 [url]

Mar 25 17 10:24 PM

trock wrote:
Thanks all, to me it sounds alot more effected than a dryer and cleaner ac/dc sound. I know, well ive read, angus and malcoml just go direct to the amp, no pedals or anything. also their sound is quite clean. this to me seems to have alot more distortion, mid range, verby thing going on.

I'm not so sure.

It sounds like a 'higher gain' amp... maybe something more modern.
but I don't necessarily hear a pedal overdrive.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#14 [url]

Mar 25 17 10:45 PM

Ah, so no pedal, but an amp that does in fact have a master volume.

I knew there was something going on to cause me to want to call shenanigans on it. A bit of fizz in there.

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#18 [url]

Mar 26 17 9:34 AM

The replica Schaffer wireless boxes were created in conjunction with Ken Schaffer by PRW's own member "solodallas," aka Filippo Federico Olivieri.

Some of the initial research was carried out right here at PRW.

Now Angus is enamoured of the project, and they have become good friends.

Once again, thanks to PRW Members!!

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#20 [url]

Mar 26 17 12:12 PM

compasspnt wrote:
The replica Schaffer wireless boxes were created in conjunction with Ken Schaffer by PRW's own member "solodallas," aka Filippo Federico Olivieri.

Some of the initial research was carried out right here at PRW.

Now Angus is enamoured of the project, and they have become good friends.

Once again, thanks to PRW Members!!

I've just reached out to jeff roberts today to get some more slides.

the Lucaszite slide is the only thing I will use now. So much better than everything else.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help