trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#21 [url]

Mar 26 17 2:08 PM

Wow I didn't knwo that either, or I do rememebr some discussion of it here. that would be an awesome thread to re read.

this sound by Pete Thorn with the solodallas box is pretty much THE sound in this vein that would rock

Quote    Reply   

chrisj

Gold Finger

#24 [url]

Mar 27 17 3:50 AM

weedywet wrote:
does this thing do the companding? or just the boost?

I heard it, there's no way it's not doing the companding. I suppose it's possible it's just replicating the end result, but given what it is and the price point I'd be shocked if it's not simply replicating the whole compander circuit, just hooked up in one box.

I want one, in a baaaaad way :) (since I already have a 57 and all ;) )

Chris Johnson, airwindows.com

Quote    Reply   

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#25 [url]

Mar 27 17 7:55 AM

I found some videos by solo that explain alot, i didnt realize there was a pedal version till i saw the above Pete thorn video. which is much cheaper than the main unit, but the main unit is the wirless setup.

this is for the pedal.

Quote    Reply   

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#26 [url]

Mar 27 17 8:01 AM

Thanks to all the help here, and doing my own research this has been very cool and eye opening. i think then find a good humbucker guitar, a good amp, then run it pretty clean but close to breakup, and something like the solo dallas and your there. mic and record it well and thats your track.

i would imagine then not much needs to be done. having listened to more tracks like these i think the solo dallas pedal and just a guitar and amp is such a great sound and what i am trying to find.

not just ac/dc but alot of the earlier rock bands have that GREAT sound, the who, Zep, all of them had that sort of chimey breakup that is just killer. I did not want some metal, OD sound just that, to write and have fun with and this certainly is it. the bite this has is great. i still like the Airborne sound but this solo dallas one is a little more pure, to me at least

Quote    Reply   

solodallas

Silverado

#27 [url]

Mar 27 17 11:10 AM

compasspnt wrote:
The replica Schaffer wireless boxes were created in conjunction with Ken Schaffer by PRW's own member "solodallas," aka Filippo Federico Olivieri.

Some of the initial research was carried out right here at PRW.

Now Angus is enamoured of the project, and they have become good friends.

Once again, thanks to PRW Members!!

This is how it was, as gently summarised by the gentleman Mr. Manning is (Hi, Mr. Manning!)
This is Fil - we know each other with some of you here, I presume. So happy to be able to be writing these few lines here, again!

It was Mr. Manning that pointed me in the right direction, several years ago now - it all started here at PRW. Terry knows, as I had told him several times over the years (gently updating him with my progress on this project, when I thought I'd bump a milestone with it).

Essentially and in an as much summarised matter as I can:

A) I read here on PRW about 'Angus using radios' on Back in Black (the album) in the aforementioned (and quoted) PRW thread.

B) I started my research immediately thereafter might have been 2011 or 2012?). This research, brought me to the (now) documented knowledge that: 

1. AC/DC started using these 'radios' from 1977 onwards. The specific model and brand - the now famed 'Schaffer-Vega Diversity System' was used until 1985 and it was featured on every live show and AC/DC studio album from 1977 till - in fact - 1985 including, Powerage, Highway To Hell, Back in Black, For Those About To Rock and Flick of The Switch.
2. Hence, every single studio album in that particular segment of golden age of AC/DC has Angus playing his solos (and some studio rhythm) on the Schaffer-Vega (from now on, SVDS). That was in fact precisely what allowed Angus to have his unique tone, in the studio and live. 
3. Back in Black is massively influenced by this device (as are as well the previous albums back to Powerage). Angus would play what sonically we call 'the center channel' (the sound of the guitar we hear on the centre position of the audio spectrum) exclusively with the SVDS - that would be both for rhythm and solos. The difference with or without the SVDS can be clearly heard on a couple of songs on Back in Black - some songs needed the solos to be slightly changed in a couple of spots and the difference with and without SVDS that can be heard (the new solo bits would be played in NYC without the SVDS, that was back in storage somewhere else during Back in Black mixdown) is so evident (to me at least) to be overwhelming.

C) I would purchase two working units from Mr. Schaffer himself years ago (after having searched for a workign SVDS for almost a year since my discovery). Mr. Ken Schaffer still had a couplf of units left that he was willing to donate to a museum in NYC

D) The Schaffer-Vega Diversity System (how it was called) was a great wireless system, designed and marketed in 1976 in the USA. It had a transmitter tan colored and a tower-shaped, black receiver with two 'diversity' antenna. It was the first, amazing sounding and reliable wireless system to be used in the industry of music - a historic achievement. It was also sound shaping because of his analog, 1970s technology. It had an internal limiter, companding, harmonic EQ and a powerful internal amplifier used to monitor the signal initially - after a while, used to 'clean boost' the guitars (the clean boost feature started to be plainly mentioned even in the official manual - of which I still have one of the original print copies - fascinating and amazing stuff). We are talking about the first (and likely, still the most powerufl) clean boost in the history of pop music. 

E) Kiss, Electric Light Orchestra, Rolling Stones and a few others were the early adopters. AC/DC and a few others (mentioned here) shortly followed (AEROSMITH, AMERICA, BAY CITY ROLLERS, BEACH BOYS, BILLY JOEL, BLACK SABBATH, BLONDIE, BOB SEGER, BOB WEIR, BOB WELCH, BOOTSY COLLINS, BOSTON, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN (CLARENCE CLEMONS, STEVE VAN ZANDT), CHIC (NILE RODGERS), DERRINGER, EARTH WIND & FIRE, ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA, ELVIN BISHOP, FLEETWOOD MAC, FOGHAT, FOREIGNER, FRANK ZAPPA, HEART, HEATWAVE, JANIS IAN, JOHNNY GUITAR WATSON, KANSAS, KISS, L.T.D., MAHOGANY RUSH, MANDRE, NEKTAR, PAT TRAVERS, PETER FRAMPTON, PETER GABRIEL, PINK FLOYD, RANDY BACHMAN, ROLLING STONES, RUFUS, STEPHEN STILLS, STEVE MILLER, STYX, A TASTE OF HONEY, THE 5TH DIMENSION, THE GRATEFUL DEAD, THIN LIZZY, TOM PETTY, TODD RUNDGREN, VAN HALEN, YES, ZZ TOP.)

F) After my initial discovery, I made it known on my own blog solodallas.com. The folks on it at the time expressed desire of me reverse-engineering the original wireless device into a guitar-pedal sort of clone - without the 1970s wireless technology. Just something to shape the soudn of the guitar with. So I did.

G) Angus Young heard of us doing this and me willing to gift him serial number 001 unit (he was and still is my hero) so he called Ken Schaffer and myself to Vancouver during the early stages of preparing to record Rock Or Bust. I donated him a few units in that occasion and he recored Rock Or Bust with it, then proceeding onto using our Schaffer Replica for the entire tour that would last about two years. 

E) A photograph of Angus Young and myself in Vancouver with Schaffer Replica unit 001 and then, me myself and I next to Angus'rack sporting two of our Schaffer Replica units at nearly the end of the Rock Or Bust tour at the end of 2016. image

This entirely changed my life and we now live and breed thanks to the Schaffer Replica.

You can find all about it and buy one on solodallas.com

Thanks!

Quote    Reply   

solodallas

Silverado

#29 [url]

Mar 27 17 1:00 PM

Thanks Jesse!
this was just the start of our adventure - so much more to tell but I didn't want to kill the thread right away (drumroll).

I will shortly be more specific about the technological questions I have seen up there on the thread. I am always happy to provide any and all information as requested by our friends.

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#30 [url]

Mar 27 17 2:28 PM

I can say this for sure...

I have one of Fil's pedal versions of the solodallas, and it is really nice. I boosts the "tone and sound" in a different way to any other pedals, but without getting grungy or over-saturated.

In fact, a few weeks ago I was doing a guitar overdub on a session with Mutt, and mentioned that I had it. "Go get it!" So I did, and then..."That's the sound!"

Immediate. Right.

So, I hereby endorse the solodallas re-creations. These were done in conjunction with Ken Shaffer, so they are "the real deal."

Oh, right...also endorsed by Angus...

Quote    Reply   

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#31 [url]

Mar 27 17 2:33 PM

Hi solo, this started with me wanting to write and record some good basic, raw rock and roll. I am a huge ac/dc fan as well and love their tone. I started this with airborne, and into rhino Bucket as being examples of what I was striving for. i think the pete thorn jam with your box though is probably the greatest tone I have heard in this genre.

I watched your youtube presentation on the pedal vs the main box. is it really the same sound and components just miniaturized? and are they still for sale?

thanks so much

Quote    Reply   

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#33 [url]

Mar 27 17 8:01 PM

@ Terry - That's great about mutt, he is the one who recorded and nailed this sound with the unit. Hearing it probably brought back many memories!

Somewhere in the story of this unit is that Angus had lost his? or didn't have them for years which is why it was such a big deal when Fil brought it back and to him. I think Rock or Bust has that sound again, although its missing the Mr Lange and Tony Platt and Compass Point pieces (for BIB). I don't mean to dig at anyone but there is such a difference in the song quality and writing that they had with Mutt that is always missing. The riffs are always great and alot of the melodies are good but its missing that build, that after solo, or third verse craze and the structure. I don't know, hard to put into words and not to derail this, but the 3 albums mentioned with this unit are the 3 with Mutt, which are my fav 3. with powerage right up there as well.

I would love to know what was done to the raw track processing wise after.

Quote    Reply   

solodallas

Silverado

#34 [url]

Mar 27 17 9:36 PM

weedywet wrote:

Both (companding and boost)! We realized early on that we needed both to reproduce the peculiar sound of the original. 
Let me show you the typical sound path of one of our products (Schaffer Replica Tower shown):

Quote    Reply   

solodallas

Silverado

#35 [url]

Mar 27 17 9:47 PM

trock wrote:
Hi solo, this started with me wanting to write and record some good basic, raw rock and roll. I am a huge ac/dc fan as well and love their tone. I started this with airborne, and into rhino Bucket as being examples of what I was striving for. i think the pete thorn jam with your box though is probably the greatest tone I have heard in this genre.

I watched your youtube presentation on the pedal vs the main box. is it really the same sound and components just miniaturized? and are they still for sale?

thanks so much

Thank you!
As many know, I consider AC/DC between 1976 and 1981 as the pinnacle of rock guitar sound - or even more in general, great saturated guitar sounds etc. It didn't get much better than that for me. So much that I am still investigating on those sounds, made forty years ago. I would use and re-use those classic sounds today in contemporary music, whatever the musical genre. 

This being said, thanks very much for your passion as well - this is a terrific place where to think, investigate and gather information. I know firsthand!
Onto your kind question now: is it truly the same sound between the through hole technology (we used exactly the same technolgy on our Schaffer Replica Tower EX as the original SVDS system) and our two other SMD (surface mount) technology products? Yes it is. More than once I had to go back and forth from one to another one, comparing both for hours. The difference is there, but I would classify it as a 'flavour' difference, not a 'better or worse' kind of sound. It's really subtle details. 

Particularly, our latest product the Storm has met my satisfaction - it truly sounds like the original SVDS, with the same kind of 'mid scooped' sound. 
It's extremly powerful as a boost and when rolling off the guitar volume, the sound will clean wonderfully - much better in reality than a guitar on its own without it. 
Thus allowing for incredibile 'funky' clean sounds (this happens thanks to our internal limiter which we called ' Snap'). 

PS All of our products are entirely made in the US - with a lot of intervention by hand by American qualified engineers and technicians.
I am not sure whether this can mean anything anymore to anyone. But I wanted it to be this way (I am an Italian immigrant, born in the US - Texas - and then after a lifetime in Europe, came back to live in the US).

Fil

Last Edited By: solodallas Mar 27 17 9:49 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

solodallas

Silverado

#36 [url]

Mar 27 17 9:57 PM

chrisj wrote:

weedywet wrote:

I heard it, there's no way it's not doing the companding. I suppose it's possible it's just replicating the end result, but given what it is and the price point I'd be shocked if it's not simply replicating the whole compander circuit, just hooked up in one box.

I want one, in a baaaaad way :) (since I already have a 57 and all ;) )

Chris (sir) you are right! Yours was a very fine educated guess - we do the companding. We use one of the finest companders out there and precisely, the exact same that was used in the original SVDS units (Signetics NE570/571). We do not simulate or emulate anything. I was indeed proposed this years ago when we started - in order to save on costs - but I always declined to go that way. We truly cloned every single step of the original circuit with painstaking accuracy. It's identical, 1:1 with the audio circuitry of the original SVDS. No shortcuts taken, no cheap solution: I wouldn't have been happy. 

Thanks!!!

Last Edited By: solodallas Mar 27 17 10:06 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

solodallas

Silverado

#37 [url]

Mar 27 17 9:59 PM

compasspnt wrote:
I can say this for sure...

I have one of Fil's pedal versions of the solodallas, and it is really nice. I boosts the "tone and sound" in a different way to any other pedals, but without getting grungy or over-saturated.

In fact, a few weeks ago I was doing a guitar overdub on a session with Mutt, and mentioned that I had it. "Go get it!" So I did, and then..."That's the sound!"

Immediate. Right.

So, I hereby endorse the solodallas re-creations. These were done in conjunction with Ken Shaffer, so they are "the real deal."

Oh, right...also endorsed by Angus...

Terry - Sir.
Thank you so much for mentioning this here. You know what it means to me.

Warm hugs (I hope you are doing terrific as always).

Your friend,
Fil

Quote    Reply   

solodallas

Silverado

#38 [url]

Mar 27 17 10:01 PM

I would like now to apologize with you all for replying with multiple messages as opposed to using a single, big reply with multi quotes. I do admit immediately and right away that I simply 'suck' at multi quoting (I tried, I failed and I gave up).

Friendly - yours,

Fil 'SoloDallas'!

Quote    Reply   

d gauss

Platinum Blonde

#39 [url]

Mar 28 17 12:33 AM

trock wrote:
That's great about mutt, he is the one who recorded and nailed this sound with the unit. Hearing it probably brought back many memories!

no disrespect to mr. mutt L., but while the "production" may have improved with him coming into the fold (and i think it surely did), it is hard to argue the fact that from Powerage on, the geetars always sounded great.

Quote    Reply   

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#40 [url]

Mar 28 17 7:29 AM

@Fil - Thank you for your answer and all the details and the schematic! its certainly been an amazing journey you have taken and the end result speaks for itself. So then what is the diff between the storm pedal and the Schaffer replica pedal? I have found both on Reverb for sale. The tower unit is beautiful but out of my price range so am looking at the 2 different pedals. thank you!

@ d gauss - absolutely, we certainly wouldn't be arguing great sound lol. while "Let there be rock" was what I consider the first full great album by them I thought when they hit Powerage they had completed their first phase so to speak and had hit their stride. In terms of production quality, for me, the 3 ML albums are the pinnacle of not only the "sound" but the quality and catchiness of the songs. on those 3 albums I honestly don't hear one clunker. thats me of course, and thats in terms of the songs, as well as the sound. Obviously its many pieces that come together to make something great like these, Tony P, the studio, the songs of course, the emotion, and honestly ML and those pieces had Brian J at his peak. for me the greatest "Rock" singer ever from 80-85 or so.

We will probably never know but my guess is that crafting the songs from the raw power the youngs would bring is the forte of ML. In the other groups and people he has worked with the songs are always catchy, and well constructed and hooks forever. "Animal" by Def Leppard, Bryan Adams, The Cars, were all amazingly catchy. for me again, the production sound from him is always pretty amazing, my writing was massively influence by the big hook, chorus, and build. they always moved me.

Anyway, back to raw rock sounds on guitar!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help