Iggick

Silverado

Lead

Mar 31 17 6:10 AM

Tags : :

Any recommendations for a stand sufficient to hold a B3 chop?
It could be an actual keyboard stand or something re-purposed.
Quick take-down/portability not an issue, this is a fixed installation.
Thank you!
Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#1 [url]

Mar 31 17 7:20 AM

I had a local iron worker weld something together for me out of 1-inch pipe and angle iron with castors. I'll send you some pix if you like, Bill. I originally made a stand out of wood with wheels that could easily handle the weight, but I neglected to take wracking into account. It collapsed one day about ten seconds after I got out from under it. Whew....

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#2 [url]

Mar 31 17 11:19 AM

seth wrote:
I had a local iron worker weld something together for me out of 1-inch pipe and angle iron with castors. I'll send you some pix if you like, Bill. I originally made a stand out of wood with wheels that could easily handle the weight, but I neglected to take wracking into account. It collapsed one day about ten seconds after I got out from under it. Whew....

Can't imagine those things are too light..
I had a Hammond Porta-B that was very heavy,
and most likely similar to a chop.  Weighed a ton
Not an actual ton.. but fabricating a stand out of metal or
wood would seem to work.  gl

Quote    Reply   

ktownson

Aqua Marine

#3 [url]

Mar 31 17 11:56 AM

Lowes or Home Depot have workbenches which are adjustable height and should be sturdy enough to handle a few hundred lbs. I didn't see anything on Sweetwater that could handle the weight.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/edsal-48-in-W-x-34-in-H-Adjustable-Height-Wood-Work-Bench/3470777

"Kerry fixed the stereo, and now it doesn't work." (My six-year-old sister)

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#4 [url]

Mar 31 17 1:04 PM

I looked at that bench - I'd be afraid of the same wracking issue I had. It needs to be made at least of square or round tube, not sheet metal.

Quote    Reply   

ktownson

Aqua Marine

#6 [url]

Mar 31 17 3:56 PM

seth wrote:
I looked at that bench - I'd be afraid of the same wracking issue I had. It needs to be made at least of square or round tube, not sheet metal.

Maybe some cross-bracing would help?

Perhaps a trip to Goodwill will turn up one of those entertainment centers made for giant CRT TVs. I think I'd break out the saw and slap some 2x4's together. 

"Kerry fixed the stereo, and now it doesn't work." (My six-year-old sister)

Last Edited By: ktownson Mar 31 17 4:02 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#7 [url]

Mar 31 17 6:14 PM

ktownson wrote:

seth wrote:

Perhaps a trip to Goodwill will turn up one of those entertainment centers made for giant CRT TVs. I think I'd break out the saw and slap some 2x4's together. 

I don't know if even a giant CRT TV is as heavy as a chopped B3...

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#8 [url]

Apr 1 17 6:53 AM

ktownson wrote:

seth wrote:

Definitely. My stand could handle the weight, but not the torsional stress when I moved it. I'd still go with welded steel, though.

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#9 [url]

Apr 1 17 10:34 AM

John Epps wrote:
I don't know if even a giant CRT TV is as heavy as a chopped B3...

I don't think one person could pick one up with out risking a hernia.
Found a pic of the Porta_B that I had with collapsible legs, cross struts and pedal bottom.
I've used stacked cinder blocks with a curve wood facade for big fish tanks,
so maybe it could work for a chop as well.
Curious if there's any bass pedals?

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#10 [url]

Apr 1 17 11:55 AM

This is from my good friend Tony Perrino who owns three chop B's and has them stationed in Florida, California and upstate ny. He uses the same stands for all three B's..

Hey Larry the stand I use is by the company on stage and it is their model the Z stand and it holds up to 350 poundsit's really easy to break down. Really flat very simple "stand

Silvertone Mastering, celebrating 28 years in business.

www.silvertonemastering.com

Quote    Reply   

Iggick

Silverado

#11 [url]

Apr 1 17 5:47 PM

Tom,
It's a strange configuration (I bought it this way) Upper housing contains amp and manuals, lower housing contains pedal box and generator.
I hope to consolidate to the upper housing and eliminate the pedals, wiring the first generator octave to the lower manual.

Larry,
Thanks for that. I already have one of those stands and was a little nervous about it. Guess it might be a contender after all.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help