maarvold

Aqua Marine

#1 [url]

Apr 1 17 8:43 AM

Damn: I LOVE me some maple surple--maybe a pressure refief valve could be implemented?  This might also help to avoid injury when retapping a pressurized tree.  I hope the trees in New Hampshire aren't affected.  Remember the day.  

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#2 [url]

Apr 1 17 1:58 PM

I plan on tapping some of the Sugar Maples at my spot in the Adirondacks. It's not high up on the list but I'd like to get a thimble full of syrup one day. The maple syrup we get there comes from the next town over. We use it as a sugar substitute in things like whipped cream. I've been getting into aged rum lately. I mostly drink it neat but an aged rum daiquiri with maple syrup instead of simple syrup is really great.

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#3 [url]

Apr 1 17 2:04 PM

All the neighbors have theirs tapped right now. Great year for it. You wouldn't believe how much gets boiled down just to make a pint. The neighborhood smells great when everybody's got theirs cooking. All outdoors, just like makin shine!

We never have to pay for real maple syrup (or honey). I think we have 2 gallons worth of maple syrup right now... with more to come.

Silvertone Mastering, celebrating 28 years in business.

www.silvertonemastering.com

Last Edited By: silvertone Apr 1 17 7:50 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Apr 2 17 9:45 AM

silvertone wrote:
All the neighbors have theirs tapped right now. Great year for it. You wouldn't believe how much gets boiled down just to make a pint. The neighborhood smells great when everybody's got theirs cooking. All outdoors, just like makin shine!

We never have to pay for real maple syrup (or honey). I think we have 2 gallons worth of maple syrup right now... with more to come.

This is making me want pancakes for breakfast.  There's a McDonalds right up the street and sometimes I get hotcakes & sausage to go, but instead of using their syrup, I put real maple syrup on the pancakes.  Tasty.  

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#5 [url]

Apr 2 17 1:23 PM

There is a French Canadian style pancake that is my favorite. It's buckwheat flour and you just add water. No milk or other dairy, They are fantasitc. You can make them thin like a crepe or thick like a pancake. Either way they are fantastic. The brand we usually get is Ploy's.

We don't get free syrup and honey but we are pleased the locals seem to like us. We've had a few acts of kindness that surprised us. We are wierdos and the town has a large evengelical schoool and camp. There are a lot of evangelicals there and is pretty conservative in general. I'm used to getting funny looks and thankfully we don't get much of that.

Last Edited By: gold Apr 2 17 1:30 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#7 [url]

Apr 3 17 1:16 PM

morespaceecho wrote:
heh, the day we moved in, the neighbor next door came over to say hi and said "you look like liberals".

Yeah, I drive a minivan, have cute dogs and am from NYC. I use it to my advantage. I've run into a couple of bullys. One is a neighbor who was doing some very unneighborly things. I caught him on my land with a side arm. I was in his face with a pick axe before he knew anyone was there. I scared the shit out of him. He has been behaving himself since then.

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#8 [url]

Apr 4 17 8:39 AM

gold wrote:
...I've run into a couple of bullys. One is a neighbor who was doing some very unneighborly things. I caught him on my land with a side arm. I was in his face with a pick axe before he knew anyone was there. I scared the shit out of him. He has been behaving himself since then.

This kind of thing is why there will never be peace in the world and I'm not talking about you: wtf was he thinking?  

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#9 [url]

Apr 4 17 11:08 AM

maarvold wrote:

wtf was he thinking?  

He's a laywer and ex small town mayor. He is used to telling people what to do. He's not used to being told what to do. He had be screwing around with the survey marks among other very un neighborly things. All with intimidation in mind. The day I caught him on my land he was hoping to run into me with his gun to intimidate me. He didn't plan on having a pick axe in his face beofre he knew what was going on. I was in my long johns looking crazy and pissed.  We hadn't met beofre. I got in his face right away. No trying to be nice. I told him what I needed him to do. He tried to used his words to intimidate me when the gun didn't work. That didn't go so well for him either. After I had him acting submissive I shook his hand and walked away.

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#11 [url]

Apr 4 17 10:25 PM

He's from the Albany suburbs. He also has a house in one of the developments on the lake. His neighbors are suing him. What a surprise.

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#12 [url]

Apr 5 17 5:13 AM

seth wrote:
Good for you Paul! Sometimes you have to teach the locals some respect.

Really Seth?

I always believe you catch more flies with sugar than vinegar.

People are generally friendly and will help you out before threaten you.  They are also generous. With their time and their belongings.  We bring food from our gardens to the neighbors by the bag full.  In turn they give us honey, maple syrup... and help.  Lawn mower breaks, someone will offer you theirs or just mow your 4 acres for you. It is that kind of folk that live up here.

The guys from Albany, then I'm guessing he's a transplant post 9/11.  Or just a Smalbany attitude guy (Smalany: little dick syndrome of NYC).  A bunch of "different" people took over the Adirondacks post 9/11.  Drove the prices up and half the locals out.  Indeed my hometown of Saratoga Springs is untouchable now.  We don't make 6 figures up here but the condos are going for a million dollars in town. We have a big Long Island and New Jersey influence up here now and it is changing and has changed the landscape of this quaint small town. Now we have 5 story condos everywhere and the are butt ugly compared to the Victorian based architecture here.  But that's what the demand is now.  They are even build NYC style apartments and ruining things even further!

Now where exactly do you find good hearted people anymore?  Answer:  All over.  "Actions speak louder than words, my momma taught me this, didn't yours".  

Extend an olive branch... its way easier than any adversarial bullshit, just IMHO... (which as I know has little value).

Silvertone Mastering, celebrating 28 years in business.

www.silvertonemastering.com

Last Edited By: silvertone Apr 5 17 6:06 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

seth.lucasmicrophone

Tin Man

#13 [url]

Apr 5 17 7:51 AM

I was kidding Larry. My family has had a cabin in the Adirondacks for over thirty years, and we used to come up when I was a little kid. It definitely changed after 9/11 as people began to look closer to home for vacation spots. I go out of my way to buy things from local stores, not chains. To eat in local restaurants, to hire local contractors, to basically put as much as I can money into the local economy directly. It bugs me to see Wal-Mart rockin' when the local stores can't stay open, and much of the responsibility for that lies with the locals. I'd argue that the most damaging factor to the economy of eastern NY is the Northway. It killed most of the businesses along Rte. 9 the way Cross Bronx Expressway killed many of the small businesses in the Bronx

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#14 [url]

Apr 5 17 9:28 AM

silvertone wrote:
...Extend an olive branch...

I don't know what I would have done in gold's situation but--if the first time I met my neighbor it was because he was on my property, without being invited,  and had a gun strapped on his hip... let's just say I would consider that behavior to be WAY out of line.  And, at his 'other home' his neighbors are suing him: Stee-rike TWO!!!

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#15 [url]

Apr 5 17 10:50 AM

He started out by cutting down trees with survey marks. Done by the surveyor who does everything around there. Hired by the seller of both of our parcels. neutral. Lied to the zoning officer about his building setbacks. He built too close to the property line. Beofre the emcounter he would shoot his gun after we pulled in just to be a dick.

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#16 [url]

Apr 5 17 11:00 AM

gold wrote:

maarvold wrote:

wtf was he thinking?  

He didn't plan on having a pick axe in his face before he knew what was going on. I was in my long johns looking crazy and pissed.

You didn't happen to take a selfie of that did ya?  j/k

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#17 [url]

Apr 5 17 11:24 AM

Nope, but I fully endorse Minus 33 merino wool base layers. I wish I could wear nothing else.

At my advanced age it has been my experience that the only way to deal with a bully is with force. You can do it on day one or day whatever but until that happens nothing will change.

Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#18 [url]

Apr 5 17 11:54 AM

seth wrote:
I go out of my way to buy things from local stores, not chains. 

i've been trying to buy as much as i can from the local lumber yard rather than the despot.

in our little country town here, the "downtown" village area features:

fire dept
gas station
post office
town clerk
one cafe
thrift store

and that's about it. so basically nothing. except there's also a DRUM SHOP. a drum shop!!!! i can't tell you how happy i was to find this out. 

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   

jesse decarlo

Platinum Blonde

#19 [url]

Apr 5 17 1:19 PM

gold wrote:
Nope, but I fully endorse Minus 33 merino wool base layers. I wish I could wear nothing else.

At my advanced age it has been my experience that the only way to deal with a bully is with force. You can do it on day one or day whatever but until that happens nothing will change.

I honestly admire your courage, but I think I would be more likely to involve law enforcement, personally... a family friend was shot and killed by a neighbor in a dispute almost exactly like what you describe. In Carmel Valley, of all places!

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#20 [url]

Apr 5 17 1:49 PM

If he was a bad ass he would have said "I'm coming on your land whenever I want, to do whatever I want and if you don't like it I'll kill you". I'm not stupid or oblivious. He didn't say anything of the kind. Bullys are pussies. He is much larger than I am. It also helped that he would have had a spike though his skull before he could unholster his weapon.

Last Edited By: gold Apr 5 17 1:56 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help