jimlongo

Gold Finger

Lead

Apr 4 17 6:16 PM

Tags : :

This is a very in-depth interveiw with the top brass at Apple in regards to the Pro market.
They admit that their bold gamble on the current MacPro line didn't work out so well, and have committed to a redesign . . . http://daringfireball.net/2017/04/the_mac_pro_lives

With regards to the Mac Pro, we are in the process of what we call “completely rethinking the Mac Pro”. We’re working on it. We have a team working hard on it right now, and we want to architect it so that we can keep it fresh with regular improvements, and we’re committed to making it our highest-end, high-throughput desktop system, designed for our demanding pro customers.

As part of doing a new Mac Pro — it is, by definition, a modular system — we will be doing a pro display as well. Now you won’t see any of those products this year; we’re in the process of that. We think it’s really important to create something great for our pro customers who want a Mac Pro modular system, and that’ll take longer than this year to do.

In the interim, we know there are a number of customers who continue to buy our [current Mac Pros]. To be clear, our current Mac Pro has met the needs of some of our customers, and we know clearly not all of our customers. None of this is black and white, it’s a wide variety of customers. Some… it’s the kind of system they wanted; others, it was not.

In the meantime, we’re going to update the configs to make it faster and better for their dollar. This is not a new model, not a new design, we’re just going to update the configs. We’re doing that this week. We can give you the specifics on that.

The CPUs, we’re moving them down the line. The GPUs, down the line, to get more performance per dollar for customers who DO need to continue to buy them on the interim until we get to a newly architected system.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#1 [url]

Apr 4 17 10:21 PM

In other words... "Fuck You - all you people who bought the trash can - we haven't updated that in over 4 years, but we're introducing an entirely new, and largely incompatible computer for the *real* pros..."

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#2 [url]

Apr 4 17 11:04 PM

"In the meantime, we’re going to update the configs to make it faster and better for their dollar. This is not a new model, not a new design, we’re just going to update the configs. We’re doing that this week. We can give you the specifics on that."

So I am reading this as an immediate update to the trash can.

IDK, I guess it's time for Apple to take a beating.

"Oh they didn't increase specs enough"...before anyone has tried the comp. The same thing happened last time the Macbook Pro got a redesign. Dozens of tech writers panned it before even using one. Meanwhile, I've heard really good anecdotal reports from real life users, and some amazing performance stats in many cases.

My TLDR summary of the scenario would be more like "since Jobs has died, the tech press thinks we deserve to be taken down a peg, and will write everything to that agenda regardless of whether it really makes sense."

I won't say I'm happy about every change that Apple has made. They've done a lot of things that piss me off, in fact, as far as some of their built in AV, and graphics APIs go.

There is just a greater context, where the other two choices are Windows (aka "The Cesspool"), and Linux (aka "No Hardware Drivers-ville").

Quote    Reply   

jesse decarlo

Platinum Blonde

#3 [url]

Apr 4 17 11:32 PM

I guess if they're going to introduce a new pro model that is more like what creative professionals actually want, that is a positive development.

On the other hand, I personally just can't find the energy to get that fussed about it. I've been happily earning money making records with a 2011 iMac for the last 5 years - no complaints. I mixed a demo project a couple of weeks ago while I was on vacation, using a 2008 MacBook Pro, running Mtn Lion, with 2 gigs (TWO GIGS) of RAM. It still runs PT 12.5 just fine, and communicates happily with my UAD Satellite. I work at a studio that just acquired a fully loaded trashcan. It also functions satisfactorily.

My point: finding a computer sufficient to do this work seems like the least of my worries.

Quote    Reply   

jimlongo

Gold Finger

#4 [url]

Apr 5 17 12:12 AM

I think it's a pretty astounding admission of guilt from a company that never admits a mistake.

I'm not in the market, but a recognition that their idea of multiple GPUs that never really had software optimized for it was a fail, and reversing course indicates an attempt to right that ship.

Apple bet on a dual-GPU design (multiple smaller GPUs, with “pro”-level performance coming from parallel processing) but the industry has gone largely in the other direction (machines with one big GPU)

That and a realization that Thunderbolt peripherals where the answer to expandability wasn't really the right choice for this market.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#5 [url]

Apr 5 17 9:17 AM

jimlongo wrote:
I think it's a pretty astounding admission of guilt from a company that never admits a mistake.

I'm not in the market, but a recognition that their idea of multiple GPUs that never really had software optimized for it was a fail, and reversing course indicates an attempt to right that ship.

Apple bet on a dual-GPU design (multiple smaller GPUs, with “pro”-level performance coming from parallel processing) but the industry has gone largely in the other direction (machines with one big GPU)

That and a realization that Thunderbolt peripherals where the answer to expandability wasn't really the right choice for this market.

Apple really seems rudderless now. I'm not sure why, but it appears the glory days are behind for now. Hopefully they can right the ship.

The whole thing really feels like the "Pinto/Mustang II" era of Ford, or the "Norlin" era of Gibson.

I still prefer Mac OS to Windows, but the gap is narrowing, and it's not because Windows is getting better. 

I have to admit that in terms of hardware, I prefer the new Microsoft desktop to the most recent Apple desktops. Windows will still keep me away for now, but if Apple OS (even in its current compromised form) were an option, I'd be buying that Microsoft machine TODAY instead of waiting to find out when the big reveal is.

My 2009-era iMac isn't the happiest right now with the kinds of things I'm working on, but I dont' want to rush out and buy a new machine when I know updates are coming soon. Of course if recent history is any guide, there's no guarantee I'll like the new version better... I am not looking forward to getting a phone without an analog output, for instance, and the laptops which trade in useful connectivity options for a questionable "touch bar" doesn't seem like a good tradeoff for my needs, either.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#7 [url]

Apr 5 17 11:32 AM

soapfoot wrote:

The whole thing really feels like the "Pinto/Mustang II" era of Ford

oh man. brutal. the pinto i guess we could forgive but even as a kid i remember looking at the mustang II and thinking "really?"

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   

jesse decarlo

Platinum Blonde

#9 [url]

Apr 5 17 11:58 AM

What do you guys think are the odds they'll go back to including PCI slots?

I guess it would be more Apple-like to invent a new card standard...

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#12 [url]

Apr 5 17 12:26 PM

bob olhsson wrote:
They've got a big challenge because video formats are changing rapidly and editors really need to be able to upgrade graphics frequently.

huh?

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#13 [url]

Apr 5 17 12:27 PM

What is this supposed to mean?

There is no real problem expanding video codecs.

A Mac Tower can handle a ridiculous amount of simultaneous HD textures.

You can even run more GPUs external.

So what are you even talking about?

Quote    Reply   

jesse decarlo

Platinum Blonde

#14 [url]

Apr 5 17 12:33 PM

morespaceecho wrote:

soapfoot wrote:

The whole thing really feels like the "Pinto/Mustang II" era of Ford

oh man. brutal. the pinto i guess we could forgive but even as a kid i remember looking at the mustang II and thinking "really?"

My mom literally traded our Pinto for a Kirby vacuum cleaner in the mid-1980s.

Ford didn't do too well with the II cars, did they? Remember the Bronco II?  I had one of those for about 5 minutes when I was a dumb teenager... so crappy.

Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#16 [url]

Apr 5 17 1:02 PM

jesse decarlo wrote:
My mom literally traded our Pinto for a Kirby vacuum cleaner in the mid-1980s.

i'd say she got a good deal!

we had a 4 door ford stationwagon in the 70s. a giant horrible moster of a thing, we (sort of) affectionately referred to it as "the piggie".

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#17 [url]

Apr 5 17 1:33 PM

I wonder how much things like Microsoft's foray into desktops with that studio helped push them along to get back into this, that and pro users being loud enough to be heard. Also the iphone and ipad sales declining.

i thought the Microsoft design was really nice, although only duo's i think.

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#20 [url]

Apr 6 17 9:07 AM

jesse decarlo wrote:
What do you guys think are the odds they'll go back to including PCI slots?

I guess it would be more Apple-like to invent a new card standard...

When I was reading about the new Mac Pro line, I was thinking they should make a modern day version of the 9600 with like 6 PCI slots and room to install HUGE amounts of RAM, drives and other goodies.  

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help