jesse decarlo

Platinum Blonde

Lead

Apr 7 17 12:12 PM

Tags : :

Help me be more open-minded. I'm mixing a song right now in which the drummer used nylon-tipped sticks. I can't tell the difference when he's hitting the drums, but on cymbals - ugh. Other than durability for practicing, is there anything to like about nylon tips? As far as I know, I've never heard them and liked it, but maybe I'm missing something.
Quote    Reply   

burp182

Gold Finger

#1 [url]

Apr 7 17 1:17 PM

The "ping" on ride cymbals for jazz in traditionally why drummers used nylon tipped sticks, if my understanding is correct. They aided in the definition, since the ride is the real time keeper in most straight-ahead jazz.

Quote    Reply   

bigbone

Platinum Blonde

#8 [url]

Apr 8 17 9:49 AM

burp182 wrote:
The "ping" on ride cymbals for jazz in traditionally why drummers used nylon tipped sticks, if my understanding is correct. They aided in the definition, since the ride is the real time keeper in most straight-ahead jazz.

The " ping " from the ride cymbals will come from the wood round tip of the stick ,and the way you played ( technique )
I never seen any " traditional jazz" drummer using nylon tip !!!!

JN

Last Edited By: bigbone Apr 8 17 2:36 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

bigbone

Platinum Blonde

#9 [url]

Apr 8 17 10:07 AM

jesse decarlo wrote:
Help me be more open-minded. I'm mixing a song right now in which the drummer used nylon-tipped sticks. I can't tell the difference when he's hitting the drums, but on cymbals - ugh. Other than durability for practicing, is there anything to like about nylon tips? As far as I know, I've never heard them and liked it, but maybe I'm missing something.

The first reason for using nylon tips was durability,most drummer who used the nylon tip will played in a live situation were
you will not realy hear the difference.
Some drummer like the nylon tip for the way there cymbals sound ( Omar Hakim came to mind )
Personaly i never like the way my cymbals sound with nylon tips, the wood tip and the metal from a cymbals are the
best tonal combinaison for me.........To each his own.

JN

Quote    Reply   

bigbone

Platinum Blonde

#10 [url]

Apr 8 17 10:09 AM

morespaceecho wrote:

because cymbals aren't loud enough already. we need to hit them with metal. 

If you played them well they won't be loud !!!!!

JN

Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#11 [url]

Apr 8 17 12:14 PM

i remember years ago realizing my hihats were too loud relative to the drums and i had to retrain my brain/arms to hit the hats soft while still whomping on the snare. i'll never win any drumming awards but i can at least balance my kit!

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   

scaramanga

Silverado

#13 [url]

Apr 10 17 4:15 PM

Clyde Stubblefield showed up to play my drums and cymbals with metal-tipped sticks. I let him play them anyway.

Hate the sound of nylon tips, and the first time I tried them one fell off and the resulting spear tip wrecked all my child allowance funded drum heads. That was that.

Quote    Reply   

jesse decarlo

Platinum Blonde

#18 [url]

Apr 15 17 3:16 AM

Exactly. Nobody said plastic was terrible in every application. Well, actually T-Bone Burnett DID say that... But anyway, I just think it sounds bad for hitting cymbals.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#19 [url]

Apr 15 17 7:29 AM

zmix wrote:
I'd like to interrupt this "Internetz Pile-On" to ask why such contrived ire isn't directed at the plethora of blasphemous non-hickory guitar picks?

If sea turtle carapace weren't illegal to trade, and if those sea turtles weren't endangered and facing extinction, it probably would be.

I'm a lover of animals and would NEVER advocate trading in illegal turtle shell guitar picks, but THIS was the original guitar pick material, and having used them... I can attest that, if there were no legal or ethical quandary, I would most-likely never use a plastic pick again.

Fortunately, hickory and maple trees are not endangered nor illegal.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#20 [url]

Apr 15 17 7:33 AM

I do have a sizable collection of guitar picks covering a variety of materials and the difference in stiffness and texture is every bit as important to the production of the tone as a drum stick.

Some simply sound terrible in certain circumstances, but I wouldn't generalize.

Sometimes a nylon tip stick is perfect on a certain hi-hat, etc..

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help