seth

Ruby Baby

Lead

Apr 12 17 9:59 AM

Tags : :

I'm tired, and maybe I would be able to figure out the answer myself if I wasn't. I was wondering if there's a functional difference between turning on a device that's plugged in and plugging in a device that has its switch in the 'on' position. I was thinking particularly about inrush current or soft-start circuits. Would having the switch in the on position when plugged in defeat them?

Thanks.
Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#1 [url]

Apr 12 17 11:43 AM

Much like when they asked Bob Dole "boxers or briefs?" the answer is "depends." The power switch in many modern devices doesn't actually control the mains power directly, but is just a signal to a computer (which is on all the time the unit is plugged in) to turn the unit on or activate a power-up sequence.

Hst, a properly designed soft-start circuit doesn't care if you have the power switch on and plug it in, or turn it on normally.

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#3 [url]

Apr 12 17 12:37 PM

I have often wondered about this too. With some old vintage gear, I often crindge when turning on. At NAMM I saw a power strip type of device that cancels out the power surge when powering up with a soft start

Quote    Reply   

Mike Rivers

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Apr 12 17 2:02 PM

I have quite a few pieces of gear, most from the late 1990s to the mid-2000s, that have no power switch at all.

Problem solved.

But while none of this stuff draws a lot of current once it gets going, ten linear power supplies in a rack with a single power switch for the lot might be a little rough on a 15A circuit for a couple of seconds, but probably not enough to trip a circuit breaker.

For a good time, call mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#6 [url]

Apr 12 17 8:21 PM

chance wrote:
At NAMM I saw a power strip type of device that cancels out the power surge when powering up with a soft start

I can -off the top of my head- think of no situation where therere would be a power surge when powering up with a soft start.

This makes no sense to me, I'm afraid.

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#7 [url]

Apr 12 17 9:24 PM

ssltech wrote:

chance wrote:
At NAMM I saw a power strip type of device that cancels out the power surge when powering up with a soft start

I can -off the top of my head- think of no situation where therere would be a power surge when powering up with a soft start.

I remember their booth at NAMM. They had a simple light bulb plugged into it and when turned on, the bulb took a few seconds to go from off, and gradually got brighter till full on

Quote    Reply   

Mike Rivers

Aqua Marine

#8 [url]

Apr 13 17 6:52 AM

chance wrote:

mikerivers wrote:

Problem solved.

What was the solution?

That was a joke. The problem was the worrying. The solution was that with no power switches on the equipment, you can't worry about whether to turn the unit off and on with its power switch.

For a good time, call mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#9 [url]

Apr 13 17 10:29 AM

chance wrote:
ssltech wrote:

chance wrote:

I remember their booth at NAMM. They had a simple light bulb plugged into it and when turned on, the bulb took a few seconds to go from off, and gradually got brighter till full on
Sounds like they've placed a Thermistor in series with the AC line...

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#11 [url]

Apr 13 17 9:24 PM

zmix wrote:
chance wrote:
ssltech wrote:

chance wrote:

Sounds like they've placed a Thermistor in series with the AC line...

Some SMPS no likey that approach.  I know my Variac has made some unhappy........

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#12 [url]

Apr 13 17 11:57 PM

dcollins wrote:
Much like when they asked Bob Dole "boxers or briefs?" the answer is "depends."

Depends are neither boxers nor briefs.

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#14 [url]

Apr 14 17 9:38 PM

chance wrote:

ssltech wrote:

chance wrote:

Again... I can think of NO situation where there would be a power surge caused by powering up with a soft-start.

Most people don't understand what a power surge is.

That right there is about 80% of the problem... and why it's so easy to sell "surge protection" devices, which are usually about as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help