zmix

Aqua Marine

Lead

Apr 13 17 8:04 PM

Tags : :

http://www.factmag.com/2017/04/13/legendary-mastering-engineer-tom-coyne-has-died/

Legendary mastering engineer Tom Coyne has died

Miles Bowe

The engineer behind countless great records.

Legendary mastering engineer Tom Coyne has died according to multiple sources and many artists already publicly mourning him. His credits include Beyoncé, D’Angelo, Amy Winehouse’s ‘Frank’ and many of the greatest hip-hop albums of the ’90s.

Artists and fans have already posted tributes including Questlove and Illmatic producer DJ Premier. There are currently no reports on Coyne’s cause of death.

“For anyone who read and concentrated on album credits and why they were there, Tom Coyne was someone who many trusted for expertise and ears,” wrote journalist John Book in a tribute on Twitter.

Coyne’s credits are far too long to list here, but include three of the best Wu-Tang solo records, Ol’ Dirty Bastard’s Return to the 36 Chambers, Raekwon’s Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… and GZA’s Liquid Swords, as well as other albums by Nas, A Tribe Called Quest, Usher, Erykah Badu, Common, Sade, Big Pun, D’Angelo and Prince Paul. His credits also include many pop artists such as George Michael, Beyoncé, Destiny’s Child, R Kelly, Britney Spears, Adele, Mark Ronson.

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#2 [url]

Apr 13 17 9:09 PM

He was incredibly talented. I've told this story before. When I was starting out cutting lacquers I did a lot of Rap 12" promos. Every master I got from Tom cut like butter. That doesn't happen by accident.

I have it from a reliable source he billed 2M last year. That's also very impressive.

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Apr 14 17 5:31 AM

Wow, I'm just shocked. Always seemed like such a nice guy. Way too young, my God only 62.

RIP Tom.

Silvertone Mastering, celebrating 28 years in business.

www.silvertonemastering.com

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#8 [url]

Apr 14 17 12:48 PM

Never got a chance to work with him directly. He mastered a major label project that I "co-produced" but I was not in attendance. He did an excellent job.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#9 [url]

Apr 14 17 1:01 PM

A lovely tribute, condolences to the families.

Silvertone Mastering, celebrating 28 years in business.

www.silvertonemastering.com

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help