maarvold

Aqua Marine

Lead

Apr 17 17 9:27 AM

Tags : :

My wife taped this and were playing it back as I sit in bed typing.  Fun to hear all those great songs.  I thought Ed Sheeran's "Massachusetts" was particularly great so far (I'm halfway through watching at this point).  It was an interesting production choice to give us the vocals with a sound that 'puts us out in the house'.  My wife was complaining that she couldn't hear some individual solo singers that well, but I think it made for a more Bee Gees-like vocal presentation that way.  GREAT slide guitar sound and playing on "Islands In the Stream" btw.  
Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#1 [url]

Apr 17 17 11:16 AM

I watched it too. Some of the music was clearly live. Loved seeing video of them when they were little kids. The story of them when they were kids, when they were to perform to a vinyl record, then the record was dropped and broke into pieces which meant they had to perform live, was a cool story
I thought Celine Dion doing "Imortal", was very moving. When they mentioned the Tavares contributions to the BeeGees and them being from Road Island, I think it was an error. I knew the Tavares family very well even before their hit "Heaven must be missing an Angel", and they lived in a small Portuguese village in New Bedford Mass. Been there a hundred times. Amazing food too.
Last night I wonder why the rest of the remaining brothers Gibb did not attend.
YES! That slide guitar in Islands, was so fitting and perfect.

Chance Pataki The Musicians Workshop www.the-musicians-workshop.com musicians.workshop@gte.net

Last Edited By: chance Apr 17 17 11:23 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

bigbone

Platinum Blonde

#2 [url]

Apr 17 17 11:53 AM

maarvold wrote:
 GREAT slide guitar sound and playing on "Islands In the Stream" btw.  

Rickey Minor MD.  Paul Jackson jr Guitar.

JN

Quote    Reply   

ktownson

Aqua Marine

#3 [url]

Apr 17 17 12:13 PM

Last night I wonder why the rest of the remaining brothers Gibb did not attend.

Of the four Gibbs brothers, Barry, the oldest, is the only one still alive.

Considering the source, you might want to take this article with a shaker of salt, but:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2763305/bee-gees-legend-barry-gibb-scared-of-death/

"Kerry fixed the stereo, and now it doesn't work." (My six-year-old sister)

Quote    Reply   

burp182

Gold Finger

#4 [url]

Apr 17 17 1:34 PM

Having played so many of these tunes live when they were at their peak, I was really bothered by the lack of attention to the grooves on the songs. These things had considerable subtlety and craft to them. Last night's arrangements and playing sounded like a Vegas showroom act doing Bee Gees tunes. I was waiting for Lola Falana to step out from the wings. Rickey generally does a much better job.
There was a noticeable change in the situation when Barry played. The groove to "Stayin' Alive" was exactly right. I suspect that was his band on stage and that may have been responsible for the difference.

Man, I'm old....

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#5 [url]

Apr 17 17 3:03 PM

I didn't know that the other bros are gone (I'm old too) I was trying to find a YouTube of Celine Dion singing "Immortality" from the camera's POV that I saw last night. Very emotional as she dedicated it to her late husband, and now I understand that Barry's brothers are gone too. This YT video from a phone cam doesn't show Barry, when Celine walked off the stage and sang in front of him. and the way they synced the Bee Gees video to her singing was great. I wished I had recorded it

Quote    Reply   

ktownson

Aqua Marine

#6 [url]

Apr 17 17 4:51 PM

It's available for now at CBS.com. After a few days it will probably be available for purchase from the online streaming stores.

"Kerry fixed the stereo, and now it doesn't work." (My six-year-old sister)

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help