spiritwalker

Aqua Marine

#61 [url]

Apr 30 17 2:42 PM

I had promised some pics when I pulled the guitar apart for reference.imageThe serial number of the guitar is 712066
imageimageimageimageimage
​Anyone know what the markings mean or say?imageimageimageimageimage

OK it's cold here

Last Edited By: spiritwalker Apr 30 17 6:03 PM. Edited 4 times.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#62 [url]

Apr 30 17 4:30 PM

Those look like original gray bobbin pickups. One pot (the one in the bottom-most picture) has clearly been changed. Shame that cap broke. Some people really like those. I personally think they're out of their mind; it's a ceramic cap, and to my ear has no special magic. I'd replace it with a decent film-and-foil cap and call it a day.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

spiritwalker

Aqua Marine

#63 [url]

Apr 30 17 4:34 PM

Yes that pot was changed as the original had sheared off. I kept it but took the outer housing off and put it on the new pot.
Yes it's a drag on the cap.
Any ideas on all the markings on the body?

OK it's cold here

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#64 [url]

Apr 30 17 5:01 PM

All looks like fairly normal stuff. In the 70s the markings all got a bit less straightforward, and I must confess I'm not an expert. I bet if you googled "70s fender body stamps" you could find some more info!

The neck date I can help with... there's a formula here, though it's hard to read yours in the pic. Maybe this will help:

http://www.ggjaguar.com/neckcode.htm

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#65 [url]

Apr 30 17 11:14 PM

soapfoot wrote:
All looks like fairly normal stuff. In the 70s the markings all got a bit less straightforward, and I must confess I'm not an expert. I bet if you googled "70s fender body stamps" you could find some more info!

The neck date I can help with... there's a formula here, though it's hard to read yours in the pic. Maybe this will help:

http://www.ggjaguar.com/neckcode.htm
Very interesting information.. I learned that my "1974" strat neck was made on Wednesday July 25th 1973 (0903 3033)

KIF_1446.JPG

Though he states that Fender went to these nonsense numbers in 1972,  my Telecaster apparently just made the cut:

IMG_8434.JPG

Last Edited By: zmix May 1 17 6:46 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

gustav

Silverado

#67 [url]

May 1 17 4:45 AM

I would try to find a Z5V .047uf 100V replacement cap. Now the way it broke might have only reduced the cap value.
I worked on a 70's strat installing a set of Texas Specials. the strat had a mix of quarter pounder a Dimarzo and something else and a cap like the one in the above picture. I often don't like Z5V ceramic disks with audio and often will use a film cap in the tone section. We tried a few caps. The interesting thing is the Guitar sounded better with the ceramic disk at loud/stage volume. When I worked on friends effects or amps or guitar I would ask them to bring the amp, cord, guitar etc and play at stage volume for testing.  I think what we heard might have been added sound from the microphonic generated voltages, this might change by where the cap is touching the tone control or cavity side or if the cap body not touching anything but air. I did not have time to connect a scope to the cap and place it in front of a speaker to do a simple test playing music or test tones at the guitar.

Gustav

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#68 [url]

May 1 17 6:38 AM

soapfoot wrote:
Pretty cool. January!

On the Monday after New Years, no less...

Coincidentally, here is the neck stamp on Clarence White's Telecaster, which he used for the prototype of his B-bender:

p3_um20xziau_ss.jpg?maxwidth=500

Though mine was maybe not so lucky about having an actual date stamp,  as seen below in typical Fender "Didn't you get the Memo?" fashion:

73b-jpg.505869

Last Edited By: zmix May 1 17 6:45 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#69 [url]

May 1 17 7:21 AM

Remember, the "3" is not the day of the month, but rather a model number indicator!

1 = Jaguar
2 = Stratocaster
3 = Telecaster
4 = Jazzmaster
5 = Precision Bass
6 = Bass VI
7 = Jazz Bass

etc etc etc!

Funny about the '73 date stamp... yes, Fender was hilarious about that.

One of my favorite ones-- Fender put two-letter date stamps on the tube charts of their amps. There was one letter that denoted the year and another that denoted the month. For example, the "PK" code on this bandmaster means it was 1966 ("P") in November ("K").

Sometime late in 1965, they switched from black ink to green ink on these stamps for a short time. "O" was the letter code for 1965, "P" was the code for 1966.

I've never seen a January '66 amp with date code PA. BUT about half of the "January 1965" amps I've seen (OA code) have their stamp in green ink, and I've seen quite a few green "OB" codes, too. 

What clearly happened is that the person in charge of stamping the tube charts forgot to change the year on the stamp for the first month and a half. So you have to kind of know that if the stamp is green, it's a 1966 amp even though the letter say it "should" be January or February 1965.

Making it even more difficult is that when they finally switched the year to be right, they switched back to black ink.

There's also a possibility there was more than one person stamping charts... one with a green ink pad and the other with black, and that we'll never truly know for sure whether a black "OA" or "OB" code tube chart was stamped in '65 or '66.

brad allen williams

Last Edited By: soapfoot May 1 17 7:26 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#70 [url]

May 1 17 10:54 PM

soapfoot wrote:
Remember, the "3" is not the day of the month, but rather a model number indicator!

1 = Jaguar
2 = Stratocaster
3 = Telecaster
4 = Jazzmaster
5 = Precision Bass
6 = Bass VI
7 = Jazz Bass

etc etc etc!

Not sure who this was directed to, but according to the link you sent the "fender number" code for Stratocaster neck is "09", as indicated on both of the strat necks here, are these numbers body codes?

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#71 [url]

May 2 17 7:43 AM

In the 60s, 2 was the stratocaster code.

It changed at least twice under the old system. To "13" when they went to the big headstock around 1966-1968, and again to "22" around 1968-1972.

When they adopted the new system as seen on your '73/74 strat here, it was changed again, to 09.

Hope that helps!

On your tele-- 3JAN72B does not mean 3 January (or "the monday after new year's"). It means Telecaster, January 1962, "B" (standard) width neck.

Cheers!

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#72 [url]

May 2 17 8:25 AM

soapfoot wrote:
In the 60s, 2 was the stratocaster code.

It changed at least twice under the old system. To "13" when they went to the big headstock around 1966-1968, and again to "22" around 1968-1972.

When they adopted the new system as seen on your '73/74 strat here, it was changed again, to 09.

Hope that helps!

On your tele-- 3JAN72B does not mean 3 January (or "the monday after new year's"). It means Telecaster, January 1962, "B" (standard) width neck.

Cheers!
Ah, claro..!  Thanks.. I was wondering why so many Teles were made on the "3rd" and so many P-basses on the "5th"..!  Ha..!

Fender, Fender, Fender...  so discombobulated..!!

Interesting to note that the  8 digit "Fender Numbers" do specify the date down to the day, though, don't you think?

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#73 [url]

May 2 17 8:31 AM

I bet CBS called that "progress!" And I suppose it was!

Gibson also went to a better, more complete system in the 1970s that specified date down to not only the day, but manufacturing sequence within that day, all using the serial number (Fender's serial numbers were never particularly meaningful).

If you have a Gibson whose serial number is 81186512, it's the 12th guitar made in the Nashville factory on the 118th day of 1985. (first and fifth are the year, 2nd 3rd and 4th are the day, last three numbers are the manufacturing sequence... Kalamazoo plant starts at 001, Nashville plant starts at 501). Earlier Gibson numbering schemes weren't NEARLY as precise nor specific (nor as consistent!)

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#74 [url]

May 2 17 8:54 AM

soapfoot wrote:
I bet CBS called that "progress!" And I suppose it was!

Gibson also went to a better, more complete system in the 1970s that specified date down to not only the day, but manufacturing sequence within that day, all using the serial number (Fender's serial numbers were never particularly meaningful).

If you have a Gibson whose serial number is 81186512, it's the 12th guitar made in the Nashville factory on the 118th day of 1985. (first and fifth are the year, 2nd 3rd and 4th are the day, last three numbers are the manufacturing sequence... Kalamazoo plant starts at 001, Nashville plant starts at 501). Earlier Gibson numbering schemes weren't NEARLY as precise nor specific (nor as consistent!)
Yes, my 1950s Gibsons have 6 digit numbers which require looking up, and my mid-70s LP has the much easier 8 digit code..

You might think Fender would get it together after 30 years at it, but interestingly my "1979" Strat has an "S9" decal, the pots say "81", the pickups have "81 in grease pencil,  and the neck stamp says  both "020982" and " 2 8 82"

KIF_1302.JPGKIF_1329.JPGKIF_1325.JPGKIF_1303.JPGKIF_1304.JPG

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#75 [url]

May 2 17 8:27 PM

Yeah, I think the late '70s and '80s Fenders had serial numbers based on when the neck was made. There were a few years when they must've made a BUNCH of necks, because the serial numbers lasted for multiple years. I think E7? or was it E3? serial numbers persisted for several years. Can't remember which.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help