gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#42 [url]

Apr 24 17 10:59 AM

That Supro is great... had a friend with one years back, sounded fantastic with my Tele.

Come to think of it, yeah the Champs are a bit flabby on the low end aren't they. I shouldn't have been so blasé above regarding putting it through an external cab.

I've always been a quite a bit more of a fan of the Princeton as far as their small amps and recording goes.

--

The magic with that Vox, to me, is the lowest wattage setting, treble all the way open, and putting it on it's back on a milk crate or similar. There is a particular crunch and overdrive characteristic that can sound very big on a recording.

All this said, my two main amps are a 66 blackface Super Reverb, and a 67 drip edge.

Quote    Reply   

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#43 [url]

Apr 24 17 11:08 AM

I hope this works

this is the little guy I had sent out to me. it actually gets some really ncie sounds although I knwo it isnt the EL84 or really a real fully featured amp. however for the price of a UAD amp sim plug it got me far better sounds and much faster and was/is fun to play

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#45 [url]

Apr 24 17 11:19 AM

gtoledo3 wrote:
That Supro is great... had a friend with one years back, sounded fantastic with my Tele.

Come to think of it, yeah the Champs are a bit flabby on the low end aren't they. I shouldn't have been so blasé above regarding putting it through an external cab.

I've always been a quite a bit more of a fan of the Princeton as far as their small amps and recording goes.

--

The magic with that Vox, to me, is the lowest wattage setting, treble all the way open, and putting it on it's back on a milk crate or similar. There is a particular crunch and overdrive characteristic that can sound very big on a recording.

All this said, my two main amps are a 66 blackface Super Reverb, and a 67 drip edge.

To be clear, "bigger cabinet" and "bigger speaker" are different things, with different effects. This is even true when the cabinet is open-back.

I think the Pro Junior benefits from a larger physical cabinet, even when keeping the speaker itself the same. I have had the hunch that the same might be true of the AC4TV, though I have not personally tried it on that amp.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#46 [url]

Apr 24 17 11:25 AM

soapfoot wrote:
Those are great amps!

Chuck, were the two transformers coplanar? Moving it to the bottom of the cabinet solved the problem, so it's all academic, but I wonder whether rotating it 90 degrees might have helped, too?

If you look closely at the chassis, you can see the transformer mounting holes for the power and output transformers, note that they are at 90˚
Remounting one or the other was the only way to completely eliminate the hum.

I've heard that this (meaning this circuit, but in the "Supro" chassis) was the amp Jimmy Page preferred on his Telecaster, (though the internetz are now littered with conflicting information about that).

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#47 [url]

Apr 24 17 11:29 AM

"To be clear, "bigger cabinet" and "bigger speaker" are different things, with different effects. This is even true when the cabinet is open-back.

I think the Pro Junior benefits from a larger physical cabinet, even when keeping the speaker itself the same. "

Brad. A Champ usually has an 8" speaker, a Princeton usually has a 10" (save for aftermarket mods, and possibly some sort of variants runs).

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#49 [url]

Apr 24 17 3:31 PM

No mention here of the Traynor YGM-3 Guitar Mate Reverb.
A sleeper hidden gem if there ever was one.
Made from late 60's to late 70's and recently reissued to original spec.
A versatile and quite loud 20 watter with a very versatile baxandal type bass/treble tone stack.
Classic type of EL84 sound that is running at high B+ (400v)
Originals had all the desirables such as Hammond transformers and mustard caps. All ptp hand wired and built like a tank.
Only weak point was the original Marsland speaker - but most put a celestion in there.
Check out the Parkhead videos of mods. They are a cross between a classic Marshall and Fender.
Mine is a 1969 stuffed in the carcass of a Selmer Thunderbird Twin 50 amp cab with original Goodmans Axiom speakers.
Love it.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#50 [url]

Apr 24 17 3:53 PM

barkleymckay wrote:
No mention here of the Traynor YGM-3 Guitar Mate Reverb.
A sleeper hidden gem if there ever was one.
Made from late 60's to late 70's and recently reissued to original spec.
A versatile and quite loud 20 watter with a very versatile baxandal type bass/treble tone stack.
Classic type of EL84 sound that is running at high B+ (400v)
Originals had all the desirables such as Hammond transformers and mustard caps. All ptp hand wired and built like a tank.
Only weak point was the original Marsland speaker - but most put a celestion in there.
Check out the Parkhead videos of mods. They are a cross between a classic Marshall and Fender.
Mine is a 1969 stuffed in the carcass of a Selmer Thunderbird Twin 50 amp cab with original Goodmans Axiom speakers.
Love it.

The Traynor YGM-3 Guitar Mate Reverb was my first guitar amp... it was always blowing up... one of the EL84s was always glowing red.. when it worked it was pretty good sounding, though... especially cranked up all the way with the treble on 10 and maybe the bass on zero (actually kind of a flat setting for that amp!!)

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#51 [url]

Apr 24 17 4:14 PM

Boom!
I had the bigger YGL 3 (kinda twin reverb thingy) that blew up on a gig as it powertubes redplated and melted. Sounded great for 3 songs!
This YGM has been an amazing workhorse and is so easy to work on.
Had the wrong PT on it for years that was running the B+ at 450v and heaters at 7.3.
Never went wrong over 23 years, but proof that good EL84s can take quite a punishment.
Just put a correct spec Hammond PT in it and variable bias. Fun learning curve.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#52 [url]

Apr 24 17 4:26 PM

The first guy that ever taught me to bias my amp was a guy in Dallas, TX named Craig Wallace (pretty good player, too!)

One quote of his that has always stuck with me-- "The best any amp will ever sound is the 60 seconds right before it blows up"

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#54 [url]

Apr 24 17 5:11 PM

Adjustable bias is the only modification I made to the circuit of my Pro Junior (though every single component, save for the resistors and the power transformer, has been changed)

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

panman

Gold Finger

#55 [url]

Apr 24 17 5:19 PM

barkleymckay wrote:
Made my YGM variable bias. Not hard once you know how!

After red-glowing a hard to get and very expensive NOS pair of EL34:s, I have done it practically to all my amps with fix-bias and I added the bias-balance too. The latter also helps to get rid of some noise.

Esa Tervala

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help