natenajar

Gold Finger

Lead

Apr 22 17 2:53 AM

Tags : :

These mics are so inexpensive on the second hand market. They appear to be a transformer less fet k47 circuit with a marketing "toob" if I understand what I'm reading correctly. Has anyone here used one and could you use it reasonably interchangeably with a fet47? I'm thinking it's probably a very inexpensive way to get into a k47 for things like upright bass, bass amp, trombone, trumpet, bass drum, etc.... Any real world thoughts? thanks! N
Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#1 [url]

Apr 22 17 7:43 AM

Works great for bass drum, actually it works surprisingly well as a single drum mic out in front. I haven't tried it on horns or a bass amp and didn't care much for it on vocals, which is why I bought it in the first place. Had mine about 15 years and I'm still trying to decide if I love it or hate it :)

Quote    Reply   

Mike Rivers

Aqua Marine

#2 [url]

Apr 22 17 7:49 AM

$1500 or so might be inexpensive compared to a real U47 but it's still pretty steep to me.

"Impedance converter" isn't a "marketing toob," it's what a tube does in a tube mic, converting the voltage output from the several megohm source impedance of the capsule to something usable in the outside world. The solid state circuitry in the mic is to correct frequency response irregularities and resonance humps in the diaphragm. In this microphone design, the diaphragm is under relatively low tension which (among other things I'll leave for the microphone designers to describe) trades off a large low frequency response bump and a couple of higer order resonanaces for more output voltage from the capsule (which improves the noise spec).

I have no idea what it sounds like. See if you can get your hands on one to try. For the applications you mention, it might be better than an RE20, or not.

For a good time, call mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Quote    Reply   

rbreen

Silverado

#3 [url]

Apr 23 17 11:09 AM

Can't claim extensive experience, but I've used these a few times on alto and tenor sax and liked them; they have the forward midrange I expect from this capsule - a bit brighter than I'd prefer, but still quite nice I thought. They'd probably be very nice on kick or acoustic bass.

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#4 [url]

Apr 23 17 11:50 AM

I've had one for ages and about 25% of the time it is absolutely perfect!
Did you know if you open it up there are two micro switches for engaging 40HZ HPF at 3dB and -10dBpad?
Its quite nice on double bass and part of a piano mic setup.

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#5 [url]

Apr 25 17 8:02 AM

Never heard the 147's, but had a pair of the m149's that I picked up for a decent price.
Thought I remember reading that the m147s were similar except with only the cardiod pattern. but, 
reviews are saying 147's are darker and not much like a 149, so., maybe best to try, or..if you get a 147 used for a decent price,
(1500 and under) it seems you'd at least be able to break even when you sell it.  gl

Last Edited By: waltzmastering May 20 17 7:45 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

natenajar

Gold Finger

#6 [url]

Apr 25 17 1:16 PM

Thanks guys. I may bite. Because of what I've read online (mostly The purple place unfortunately) I am concerned that if it's a complete dog I might not be able to unload it, which is why I ask the question. But I'm consistently seeing them pop up for 12-1300 used and that seems like a great price for a k47 Neumann if in fact it delivers.... I appreciate the responses

Quote    Reply   

Mickeyrouse

Silverado

#7 [url]

Apr 29 17 7:03 AM

I bought my m147 thinking that "Neumann" and "tube" and something with a 47 in the model number might impress some people, and hoped it might work well on vocals. No one was impressd.  I found that mid- range forwardness just a little too forward, particularly on some female vocalists. But it does work quite well on other instruments: acoustic bass, Cajun accordion, kick drum ( just be sure the drum kit is set up well, because that forwardness captures all the extraneous kit squeaks like pedal noises, shell resonaces, etc.) and some acoustic guitars, particulatly those with slightly dead strings.   Not an "ultimate" mic, but certainly one that has a place in the locker. And sounds very similar to the un-padded, un-rolled off cardiod M149: same capsule, same tube, and supposedly same  circuit for cardiod pattern, according to Neumann.

Last Edited By: Mickeyrouse Apr 29 17 7:06 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

bockaudio

Platinum Blonde

#8 [url]

May 17 17 6:36 PM

I have not used the mic, but comparing the circuits of an m147 and any version of the U47fet does not show that they would be interchangeable. Sensitivities are different as well, 20mV/Pa for 147 and 8mV/Pa for the fet.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help