trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

Lead

Apr 29 17 5:16 PM

Tags : :

Hi eveyone

It certainly seems like I have been asking alot recently, but I have begun a new workflow with an amp and mic'ing it and all that and its been great here!

Not that I am going to do this, but, the ASW crossroads speaker has always sounded great to me or the ASW KTS-70. However I don't know what all is the speaker or the amp. I have the fender bassbreaker 15, and it sounds really good, but, that ASW to me, sounds closer to what i want. I have been dialing in a bunch of tones on the amp and have a good feel for what it can do and while it will def be good I was wondering about swapping the speaker ?

This is the amp

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BassB15C

this is the speaker

https://www.austinspeakerworks.com/crossroads-p-16139.html

its a 12 inch in the amp and the crossroads is as well. after that though i dont know what to look for or how to know if it will work in that amp? on the ASW page it has 8 or 16 ohm choices

Is it as simple as open the back an unplug the old one ? plug in the new one and mount it? 

thanks for any help, and i guess what do you think a speaker will do to the sound in terms of, its usually alot different? or juse subtle and not worth it? is the speaker in the amp tuned to how it was built ? or just one they put in for cost?

thanks!

Last Edited By: trock Apr 29 17 5:23 PM. Edited 2 times

Quote    Reply   

Mike Rivers

Aqua Marine

#2 [url]

Apr 29 17 7:54 PM

Well, the ASW speaker is rated at 80 watts and the amplifier is rated at 15 watts, so you're safe there. One thing you don't know, and probably can only find out by trying, is the efficiency of the speakers. If this isn't similar, for a given volume setting, the new speaker may be louder or not as loud as the original. It may be fine, though, as the ASW seems to be intended as a replacement for the Celestion.

The bolt holes may not match up so you may need to work on that. And you may have to solder the wires to the speaker. From the photo, it looks like the ASW has solder terminals.

For a good time, call mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#3 [url]

Apr 30 17 8:49 AM

Is there a problem with the stock speaker? What do you perceive is lacking?

If you haven't had the amp for long, I'd recommend making sure the amp has broken in for 60 hours or so minimum before making judgments about the speaker.

Good luck whatever you decide!

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#4 [url]

May 1 17 12:27 PM

Hi Brad

No nothing wrong with the stock speaker, I was just wondering in a general way, I am full of tech questions now on all aspects of the gear, recording etc, and its been awesome to learn. I had hear the crossroads and other stuff from ASW and just really liked the demo's I heard, but then wasn't sure if it was mainly a speaker or all the parts that made up the sound. Meaning, I heard the crossroads speaker on a pete thorn demo, but in a SUHR amp with EL34's

so that sound that I thought was very good would probably not be replicated in my amp.

so was just wondering about the whole speaker change thing, and what to expect

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#5 [url]

May 1 17 12:35 PM

I'd live with the stock speaker awhile, until getting restless.

Everything is a system-- a speaker that works great in one amp might sound awful in another!

This "gear tweakery" can become all-consuming, expensive, and a time soak. And it doesn't really do much good in the end.

It can be a fun hobby in its own right, but that's what it is-- it's got very little to do with music making. It's more of a separate pursuit that's complementary (sort of like if a race car driver also happened to really enjoy restoring automotive upholstery).

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#6 [url]

May 1 17 1:22 PM

that makes alot of sense, no need to go down the rabbit hole and never get anything done. I think, or read somewhere, that the amp companies try and pair a speaker with what they have built, so this is probably the speaker they landed on for not just the sound but cost. it sounds very good and its only a week or so old so it will be a while till its really broken in.

and what you said is so true, in my car i thought i would swap the speakers in it, a honda crosstour, and thought these new speakers would really sound amazing, but it sounded REALLY bad vs the stock speakers in it and i put the originals back in

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#7 [url]

May 1 17 4:10 PM

Most definitely there was some degree of cost-consciousness in selecting that speaker. That's going to be true of any mass-market amp.

There are some great speakers out there, but honestly I prefer not to be the "beta tester"! Once that amp has been out a few more years, you'll see the internet hive mind sort of coalesce around some good replacement speaker options, and that will give you a decent starting point (not that you will ALWAYS agree with the 'hive mind'!) as opposed to just flying blind.

In the meantime, there's plenty of amp there to enjoy!

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#8 [url]

May 1 17 4:58 PM

soapfoot wrote:
Most definitely there was some degree of cost-consciousness in selecting that speaker. That's going to be true of any mass-market amp.

There are some great speakers out there, but honestly I prefer not to be the "beta tester"! Once that amp has been out a few more years, you'll see the internet hive mind sort of coalesce around some good replacement speaker options, and that will give you a decent starting point (not that you will ALWAYS agree with the 'hive mind'!) as opposed to just flying blind.

In the meantime, there's plenty of amp there to enjoy!

*THIS*

Yes, it is  a combination of speaker and amp, and some speakers work better with different amps to achieve different results. Think about it like microphones - some microphones work better with some sources to achieve some results. And yes, it's all subjective.

I have not used this particular amp yet, but frrom looking at the rather meagre info that's available (Sweetwater's site actually gives a bit more useful info than Fender's) I would not expect this amp to sounds like a traditional Fender. This line of amps appears to be Fender's attemnpt at a take on '60s Marshall. The circuit is allegedly based on Mashall's modification of the 4-10 Bassman circuit, with Fender's own mods on top of that, not a direct reading of the 4-10 Bassman. The power tubes are EL-84s, which indicate a departure from the traditional Fender power amp right there. Fender has used EL84s in some of their newer "Blues" and "Hot Rod" series amps, which do not really have traditional Fender tonality.

Something else to be considered is that the speaker you're considering is rated considerably higher than the amp - you might find that a lower powered speaker such as one of the Alnico designs made by various companies might be more responsive. But that's a matter of taste and what you're looking for, tone wise.

Quote    Reply   

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#9 [url]

May 3 17 8:14 AM

Thanks guys, all good info, I won't be changing anything soon.

@ John - yes its sort of a new hybrid amp? to me it sounds less like a fender and more of a clean chimey vox on the low gain setting, and then yes the marshall but maybe not as hard? its very versatile with the bright switch, then a 3 stepped gain knob that goes thru low, med, high amounts of OD. so on high of course its pretty rock, but not that metal compressed sound, its more of an open saggy? sound and its really good. the clean is very good as well, most cleans seem to be on amps. its the middle though that i love, its that chimey, saggy, loos OD that i associate with a good vox sound. for most of my rhythm stuff i will live there.

the reverb is the only DSP part of it from what i understand, even the 3 step gain knob goes thru relays? you guys will get that. the reverb is a hall, its pretty good, but i usually have it only at 9-10 oclock.

im hoping its built well and lasts and its the first time in a while that i have really loved a sound and playing electric again after years of sims.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help