weedywet

Ruby Baby

Lead

May 10 17 4:52 PM

Tags : :

Yes, AGAIN.

Someone is upgrading (moving to a new location) and is way overdue to upgrade his Pro Tools system.

But that means a new computer as well (currently it's an ancient G5).

with the state of the Mac Pro in 'transition', and basically done in its present incarnation, I'm loathe to suggest that.

But he will probably be putting in a Raven as a main monitor, so I'm wondering if an iMac isn't monitor overkill.

anyone have any thoughts?

If you had to advise someone to put in a new PT 12 system today, what computer would you spec?

I'm about as interested in a WIndows machine as an SM57... FWIW
Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#1 [url]

May 10 17 5:11 PM

the iMac is ripe for a new version, too... supposedly relatively major, with hints of a sort of "iMac Pro" type machine forthcoming, probably in Q3 of this year.

So for the same reasons, I wonder if it's a good time to be buying an iMac.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

nobturner

Gold Finger

#2 [url]

May 10 17 11:15 PM

there's always used. that takes a lot of pressure off. i suggest he buy a used trashcan (prices for the 2013 model have likely dropped since the refresh last month). they work pretty danged well, and a flash boot drive is a nice convenience too. the downside is external drives, but get a dual caddy system for about $50 and you can use an unlimited number of SATA drives without enclosures. that keeps the storage cost down.

Quote    Reply   

petehanlon3

Tin Man

#4 [url]

May 11 17 12:30 AM

I just upgraded to a hdx card with sonnet chassis. I'm running PT 12.7.1 with the current Mac OS on a 6 year old MBP. It's a touch slow but 100% stable. 

Im sort of in the same boat don't want to upgrade my computer in this environment so this is a great compromise. I plugin a thunder bolt cable/ FireWire hard drive/ external monitor/ keyboard mouse and I'm set. Once they release the new Mac pros I'll have a blazing fast system in the mean time I upgraded from PT 10 native to HDX with the latest version of PT for $4500 and I can run it well on a laptop I already own. 

Quote    Reply   

extrememixing

Platinum Blonde

#5 [url]

May 11 17 2:37 AM

You can get a refurbished Mac Pro cylinder from Apple starting around 2.2K. It's very powerful and capable. I have been happy with mine. I use a Qnix monitor that is 1440 resolution and it is less than $250. If you are using the Slate then that may not be needed. Remember that Thunderbolt is not as important as it was a couple of years ago. USB C is king of the hill now. And SSDs. I picked up a 500 gig SSD external USB C drive last week at Costco, of all places, for $130. I mixed a surround project with 250 tracks with no problem! Incredible! Such a pleasure. Pro Tools 12.7.1, Sierra OS, and everything was very solid.

Steve

Steve

Quote    Reply   

natenajar

Gold Finger

#7 [url]

May 11 17 3:40 PM

I'm in the same boat and am really dragging my feet. I cannot decide between a 2012 tower, a trash can and external chassis or just shut up and wait it out. I can still get work done that I need to on my system just fine, but I want to upgrade to hdx and my old Mac Pro (which runs great btw) won't support the hdx cards....

Quote    Reply   

technologyworks

Gold Finger

#9 [url]

May 12 17 12:31 PM

WW
You didn't say if their Protools will be HDX HD Native or with a third party interface. If it's HDX there's the issue of a chassis if you are using anything without PCIe slots, plus at the minute the iMac line and the Mac Pro line are all due a refresh. Personally I'd wait to see what the new line of Mac Pros will be like.
Given all of that, [ and I've just been through the same thought process, upgrading a system for a producer friend of mine ] I'd go with a refurbed Mac Pro tower [Mac Pro 5.1 ]
We went with a 6 core xenon processor 32 gig RAM and SSDs. We put a USB3 PCIe card in there too. It's super fast, super solid. All for a lot less than any iMac / Laptop / Trashcan Mac etc.
For anyone here in the UK it was from Create Pro https://create.pro/configure
I was very impressed with the machine. Internally it looked like new. I'm sure OWC or Powermac in the states would be able to supply similar machines...

YMMV

Peter

Peter Beckmann

Technologyworks Mastering 

Quote    Reply   

blairl

Gold Finger

#10 [url]

May 12 17 2:21 PM

weedywet wrote:
But he will probably be putting in a Raven as a main monitor, so I'm wondering if an iMac isn't monitor overkill.

anyone have any thoughts?

It's nice to have an extra monitor for other things.  I'm actually running a dual Raven setup.  I use one Raven for the mix window and the other for the edit window AND Batch Commander tools.  It's nice to have both views readily available and easily accessible.  In addition, I have a third monitor for regular computer stuff.  It's nice not to have to be collapsing windows and hiding things.

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#11 [url]

May 13 17 4:36 AM

I have been running 3 setups with 'for now' current mac machines.
One is HDX 12.6.1 via Magma chassis - HDX on Mac Pro. Very stable and works lovely.
One is HDX 12.7 via Magma chassis - iMac 27" mid spec. Had a bad collapse on 12.6 hence the update to 12.7. Since then really good.
One is HD native software on fully loaded iMac 27" - running that as a production/writing suite with focus on Kontakt/Ableton etc. It has also been great but I ran out of funds for a new interface so had to cobble it with a 003R, which is holding it back a bit.

I would perhaps suggest a refurb MacPro cylinder. The TB and HDMI ports a re very handy and the flash memory system means it is very zippy.

Quote    Reply   

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

#12 [url]

May 13 17 2:28 PM

Which Raven? the large one or the 27 inch models? Just curious because if it was the smaller then the Imac would be a nice addition because you would have 2 screens, same size to work with. I have an Imac and old applae 27 inch screen and have my templates setup to use the 2, mixer on 1, session on the other etc.

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#13 [url]

May 14 17 12:58 AM

in this instance, the big MTX

I'm thinking of putting the smaller MTi into two other places, that WILL use iMacs (including my own set up at home)

Quote    Reply   

zakco

Platinum Blonde

#14 [url]

May 14 17 12:04 PM

Being somewhere between underwhelmed and annoyed by Apple's recent offerings and it's trend away from pro users in general, I doubled down and bought a 2nd (identical) machine to my current studio computer from this excellent seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32GB-RAM-3-33GHz-HEX-6-core-Apple-Mac-Pro-5-1-A1289-256SSD-MtLion-WiFi-/112346636983?

If you don't need thunderbolt for your interfaces, or like me, you have PCIe cards and don't want the hassle of a chassis, I don't think there has ever been a better machine. I never run out of horsepower and the ease of repair/upgrade is second to none. And the 4 SATA internal drive sleds is worlds better than a mess of external hubs and power supplies that you will end up with if you own a trash can or imac.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#16 [url]

May 16 17 8:25 AM

jimlongo wrote:
Those machines look pretty nice to me. What OS is supported?

I bought a Mac Pro 5,1 last year, 12 core 3.46Ghz, etc, etc.. I'm running the latest OS (10.12.4) and have a boot drive with 10.6.8. Both work fine.

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#17 [url]

May 16 17 1:00 PM

but Chuck, you're not running Pro Tools, right?

I'm just loathe to suggest buying an already orphaned machine to someone, yet I think the need to get it done and up and running might make that the only option.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#18 [url]

May 16 17 1:12 PM

weedywet wrote:
but Chuck, you're not running Pro Tools, right?

I'm just loathe to suggest buying an already orphaned machine to someone, yet I think the need to get it done and up and running might make that the only option.

No I am not running Pro Tools, however, in my system I use PCIe cards that are not supported by any third party chassis, so buying a "Tower"  was my only option, short of redoing all of my I/O using Thunderbolt (which is soon to be orphaned).

( I really only entered this discussion to endorse the second-hand tower Mac Pro as a viable option...  if you're really concerned about "current" macks, then the iMac is basically it.. the trashcan hasn't been updated since 2013... literally 6 months after my 5,1 MacPro was made).

Last Edited By: zmix May 16 17 1:19 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

jimlongo

Gold Finger

#19 [url]

May 16 17 3:13 PM

fwiw, got this from the company that sells those 5,1 towers

YES, the 5,1 configuration supports Sierra. I ship with a fresh install of Sierra but it installs cleanly without any “help”, looks, acts, performs exactly like a 2012 Mac Pro. Its hard to say for sure what future upgrades will be supported, but I suspect this machine will be viable and supported for some time. The way I think about it is that Apple sold NEW 2012’s until well into 2014, the new trash can came out in very late 2013. They have to support “my” machines until they are willing to cut off those purchased new for $10,000 in 2014. I think we have a couple more years at least before that happens. I use these 5,1 upgraded Mac Pro’s for everything and find them to be amazing performers, if properly configured. Best macs I’ve ever used!. And with the pace of progress in desktops slowing to a crawl, this machine is almost unique in its ability to avoid the perils of moore’s law and keep on performing. Obviously, nothing is forever in computers, but this one seems especially good at resisting the toll of time. Hard to say for sure how many OS releases will be supported on this machine, but I’d guess that there are several more years of current support for this mac.

Quote    Reply   

zakco

Platinum Blonde

#20 [url]

May 17 17 12:38 PM

jimlongo wrote:
fwiw, got this from the company that sells those 5,1 towers

Assuming you're talking about the ebay seller I linked to earlier, I can't say enough good things about him and the machines he builds. He's a great communicator and happy to talk by phone for efficiency, will customize any aspect (including OS version) to your preference at very fair prices and was willing to ship via USPS to Canada which meant ZERO duties, brokerage or border hassles. I've ordered 3 of these 5.1 towers  so far and each one has been flawless. Unless you absolutely need thunderbolt, I think buying a trash can or even an iMac for studio use is crazy when these are available. SO much more bang/buck and flexibility.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help