natenajar

Gold Finger

Lead

May 14 17 8:55 AM

Tags : :

I am leaning toward a 2013 trash can as the prices are dropping and second hand you can do pretty well too. How do you run additional hard drives? In my tower I have a system drive, a project drive, samples drive and an internal backup drive for projects. I backup the system and sample drives to an external with super duper. Would I do the same here? Get a handful of tb or USB3 drives and daisy chain them? With my existing system of course each drive is on its own bus... so what's the generally accepted best practice for hard drive management in the post tower world? Thanks, N
Quote    Reply   

barry hufker

Diamond Forever

#1 [url]

May 14 17 9:12 AM

There's a lot going on as Apple refreshes their line.  The company has promised a completely new top of the line computer in 2018.  The iMacs are being updated and you should see new versions later this year.  If you can hold off, you might be happier with the choices later this year...

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/07/cheaper-mac-pro/

Last Edited By: barry hufker May 14 17 9:19 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

extrememixing

Platinum Blonde

#2 [url]

May 14 17 10:24 AM

Drives are not a problem. USB 3 and C are faster than the older style SATA drives. And if you need more speed, I just bought a USB C SSD. It's crazy fast. The computer comes with 4 ports, and you can get USB 3 hubs if you need more. You can also attach drives via Thunderbolt. More drives are not a problem at all. You can always wait to buy a computer. But remember that it usually takes the hardware and software companies a while to catch up. I think now is not such a bad time to get a Trashcan. You'll still get many years of service and everything works right now.

Steve

Quote    Reply   

natenajar

Gold Finger

#3 [url]

May 14 17 11:58 AM

thanks guys.

I had been sort of planning on a 2012 tower, but with new Mac pros on the horizon, I think I want to stay fairly recent. I *could* wait and still get work done of course, but the new Mac pros are something like 15 months away, so a used 2013 trash can is looking pretty good right now.

regarding the drives, I know they aren't a problem and there are a million ways to connect them, I guess that's my question, what is the preferred way to set that up, or is everything so fast now that it really just doesn't matter at all?

Quote    Reply   

extrememixing

Platinum Blonde

#4 [url]

May 14 17 5:17 PM

Between Thunderbolt and USB3, speed is usually determined by the speed of the drive, not the protocol. Use SSD for speed and spinners for backup is the usual strategy. With SSD everything can be dead quite, which is very nice.

Steve

Quote    Reply   

extrememixing

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

May 15 17 2:01 AM

Haha! You are correct. An iMac is really the same, just fewer ports. And the Quad i7 processor is really fast.

For me, I'd spend the extra couple of hundred dollars and get the 2013 Mac Pro and a Qnix monitor. But there are lots of ways to get a great system.

Steve

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#7 [url]

May 15 17 9:33 AM

FWIW, a few months ago, I had been just barely begun thinking about a trashcan and 2 friends of mine told me about a guy named Dustin in Santa Monica whp upgrades towers (mine is a mid 2010) to performance that benchmarks at roughly 90% of the trashcans.  I did 'the whole enchilada' (maximum speed, maximum cores, maximum RAM) for roughly $1,250 and have been very happy with the results.  The thing that really sold me is that my friend Jay Graydon did the upgrade and had been using it for quite a while and still loved it; any of you who know Jay know he's 'Mr Ultra-Picky'.  So I plunked down my money and never looked back.  The upgrade took all of like 20 minutes, I'm now fully loaded with RAM, still have all of my slots and the computer feels much more 'liquid' and robust in its performance.  The main reason I did the upgrade is because I work with a documentary film composer who works in DP and gives me scores to mix with many, many, many tracks, which are then mixed to a dozen stems (with discreet reverbs) and the stems are summed to stereo--all in the same DP session.  Before the upgrade, my tower (originally a mid tier 4 core with 28 GB of RAM) wouldn't even play her session; now it seems to say, "HA--I laugh at your tiny 'girly-man session'".  I pushed the boundaries pretty good on her last film and my computer was still totally solid and responsive.  If you want Dustin's info, I made a pdf of a reply to Jay that lists his prices in 2015--they have gone up maybe roughly 10%  since then:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcntguba0pwr0cn/Dustin_Computer%20Upgrade%20Price%20List%202015.pdf?dl=0

Quote    Reply   

natenajar

Gold Finger

#9 [url]

May 15 17 12:06 PM

Mike, I spoke to Dustin on the phone and nearly bought a system from him. The only reason I haven't is because i am still on the fence about just getting a trash can instead. Since my rig works fine and is stable, it isn't mission critical here and I can afford to mull it over, but still, it's good to be informed.

Dustin's prices for a whole system are pretty competitive and the systems are really well spec'd.

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#10 [url]

May 15 17 2:42 PM

natenajar wrote:
Mike, I spoke to Dustin on the phone and nearly bought a system from him. The only reason I haven't is because i am still on the fence about just getting a trash can instead. Since my rig works fine and is stable, it isn't mission critical here and I can afford to mull it over, but still, it's good to be informed.

Dustin's prices for a whole system are pretty competitive and the systems are really well spec'd.

For me--with 2 HDX cards plus a UAD quad card--it was an easy decision.  But everybody needs to decide what's right for themselves and their situation.  

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#11 [url]

May 15 17 3:36 PM

Moore's Law is essentially dead, so new models are not going to completely eclipse current models.
After working with an artist who has a "Trashcan" I opted to buy the last version of the Mac Pro "Tower" ( late 2012 model) .
I got a 12 core 3.46Ghz that measures 98% as fast as the 12 core trashcan for less than 1/5th the cost.

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#12 [url]

May 15 17 5:32 PM

zmix wrote:
Moore's Law is essentially dead, so new models are not going to completely eclipse current models.
After working with an artist who has a "Trashcan" I opted to buy the last version of the Mac Pro "Tower" ( late 2012 model) .

I got a 12 core 3.46Ghz that measures 98% as fast as the 12 core trashcan for less than 1/5th the cost.

I think that might be my current config as well*, although mine's a mid-2010.  It seems to generally do most things pretty effortlessly.  

* I'm really getting way over knowing every version number, model number, option number and OS number--it's just too much needless work for me at this stage.  

Quote    Reply   

zakco

Platinum Blonde

#13 [url]

May 15 17 8:26 PM

Yes. A Mac Pro 5.1 - 6 core 3.33 with 32+ gb ram can hang easily with the trashcans. I like mine so much I recently bought a 2nd one as a backup.

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#14 [url]

May 17 17 4:29 AM

I have a Magma PCIe thunderbolt chassis hanging off a TrashCan MP.
Also a 2tb TB drive, it all works very nicely and very fast. Going to add an OWC TB expansion box soon.

Whilst the last towers are great I would say that if you intend to do any video work or want to run multiple video outputs the TC unit makes this very easy and stable.
My biggest gripe is not the performance but the nature of TB & HDMI connections. If you have mutliple users (as we do being a Univerity studio) you will find that movement of the tower results in cables being unplugged on a regular basis.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help