bockaudio

Platinum Blonde

#2 [url]

May 16 17 12:18 PM

Sorry I had to delete your post Michael but I'm going to keep this as a narrow topic. Once I figure out how to post an image NOT from a url I'll post the most important pix, that of the insides. Important to remember that there are NO Neumann parts in this mic, and the circuit is not original. It IS an "audiophile" approach, and should be judged on it's own, with the confusion of thinking that it's a vintage mic. The only thing I don't understand is the new serial number tags on the bottom of the mic, which make it look like it really came from Neumann.
Differences:
New capsule (with different backplate damping hole sizes)
new circuit, whith an active plate load, larger output cap and NO NFB (critical to the M49 signature sound)
unsectioned larger core transformer
completly different power supply design
no internal shockmounting of electronics
It does have the original format connector and an AC701 tube, and a sort of k47 capsule, but that's where the similarities end

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#5 [url]

May 17 17 9:21 AM

bockaudio wrote:
Sorry I had to delete your post Michael but I'm going to keep this as a narrow topic. Once I figure out how to post an image NOT from a url I'll post the most important pix, that of the insides. Important to remember that there are NO Neumann parts in this mic, and the circuit is not original. It IS an "audiophile" approach, and should be judged on it's own, with the confusion of thinking that it's a vintage mic...

Although I stand by the accuracy of my deleted post, I take your point: essentially that this is an apple 'clothed' as an orange.  Due to the many STRONG opinions expressed by experts about whether newly-made mics can be anywhere as good as the originals they seek to emulate... that was the inspiration for my comment.  

Last Edited By: maarvold May 17 17 9:24 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

bockaudio

Platinum Blonde

#7 [url]

May 17 17 6:27 PM

Thank you for clarifying, Michael, I see your point. I'm keeping it narrow, that is, we are not judging the sound of the mic, only the marketplace distortion cause by false information. As I stated earlier, there are NO Neumann parts in it, and yes the bodies are new as well.
I did have the occasion to evaluate a 251 they had refurbed, and it in fact did have many original parts in it, but it's the only "refurb" I've seen from them that wasn't all new (outside of the Neumann capsules in their M50 refurbs). I understand the logic- from an assembly line point of view, you can't have anything irregular gumming up the conveyor belt, let alone the stripped threads of an old mic body. Vintage mic repair can be a black hole of time, so they skipped that part and built new mics and called them old, to gain 100% reliability.

Quote    Reply   

bockaudio

Platinum Blonde

#8 [url]

May 17 17 6:29 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:
Wait a minute. So this is a Blue mic that's listed as a "vintage Neumann M49?" It certainly appears so from the test data sheet. Somebody should call the eBay police.

Last time I called ebay to complain about the Soundelux U195 description boiler plate, which is self-contradictory and written by someone in some Chinese factory where English (or pro recording) is not a first language, they did....nothing.

Quote    Reply   

nobturner

Gold Finger

#9 [url]

Banjo Mart Pro used to sell these, and they WERE marketed as genuine Neumann. I understand that BLUE has different owners and a different business plan these days, but these were just counterfeits. The body is painted aluminum, not brass. There's a multi-transistor package in there.

I've used one, and it didn't sound bad. But it was rather sensitive to RF...

p.s. David, you might want to post screen shots of the ad, as after a couple of months eBay will delete it, so future readers of this thread won't know what you're talking about .

Quote    Reply   

bockaudio

Platinum Blonde

#10 [url]

Yes I've capsured to pix and will post the internals. Funny you mention the RF sensitivity, in spite of the RF attenuator at the grid of the tube they are still Very prone to it, with a solution that usually stops it.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#11 [url]

If someone goes to the listing (cough cough, David?) and clicks wherever it is that it's not legit, it may very well get the process rolling.

In contrast to your experience David, I have had a couple very fruitful experiences with eBay concerning counterfeits AND inaccurately represented items (correct model name, misrepresented era / sub edition). It is definitely in the interest of the seller to accurately represent this, even though they may think otherwise. This is all probably a different department than the default product listing stuff though.

However, I don't think I have all of the knowledge to construct as good of a background about the history of these pieces to eBay, to file the complaint.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help