adam

Silverado

Lead

May 16 17 7:18 AM

Tags : : ,

Initially symbolic, although I assume many of us have been waiting for it. It took only 30 odd years:
"The Fraunhofer Institute officially terminated its licensing program for certain MP3-related patents, in a move widely interpreted by tech experts as MP3's "official death warrant". Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits... said AAC was now the "de facto standard for music download and videos on mobile phones".

- MP3 is officially dead as founders terminate licensing program.

Quote    Reply   

tbethel

Gold Finger

#2 [url]

May 17 17 4:52 AM

Good riddance...I could not be happier. What an ill-conceived format and what it did to the "sound" of music was criminal.

-TOM-
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director, Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
www.acoustikmusik.com/
Celebrating 22 years in business in 2017

Last Edited By: tbethel May 18 17 4:57 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Dom

New Forum Friend

#3 [url]

May 17 17 4:10 PM

Hasn't the Lame codec always been open source, widely used and arguably better sounding anyway?

Dom H

www.smoothtonemastering.com

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#6 [url]

May 18 17 3:55 PM

zmix wrote:
In defense of MP3, it's an incredible feat of engineering, by any and all standards.

Yes.  But like any tool: in the wrong hands it can become a weapon.  And it's sort of like freeze-dried blueberries: smaller and lighter than real blueberries, requires less resources to transport and store, but a significant step away from 'full bandwidth' blueberries.  

Quote    Reply   

jerry tubb

Gold Finger

#8 [url]

Never did like it!
Downsizing our audio quality for convenience.
Although the 320kbs sounds ok.
Just as I was ramping up into HD Audio 20 years ago, mp3 was washing over the world via Napster.
and then iTunes happened.
Hrrmp!
Of course things have changed greatly in the meantime, broadband internet thankfully.
JT

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#9 [url]

It's just incredible that the researchers were able to understand the human auditory system and how it interacts with the brain to allow"perception" to form...

I have studied the artifacts of the compression by nulling with a codec in real time, and even when I am completely familiar with them, they are hard to pick out even though they are only 20dB down in some cases.

It's just brilliant.

Unfortunately, people were never warned about transcoding, possibly intentionally, so they will RIP a CD as an mp3 (in some cases actually burn a CD of that, then loan it to someone who re-rips that as an MP3), then upload that to some service that converts that file to a lossy format. So yes, in the hands of an amateur, or an uninformed professional, MP3 can sound terrible. But when used correctly can sound pretty good.
So tool/weapon, it didn't kill music, people did.

Quote    Reply   

jimlongo

Gold Finger

#10 [url]

I agree it's a tremendous feat of engineering, but it also has to be viewed as the "gasoline on the fire" of internet file sharing.

Computers, primitive networks, small file size. Back then small file size was the necessary ingredient. See BlackBerry for the proof of that.

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#11 [url]

Only colleges had the bandwidth to support file-sharing back in the 1890's. And it sounds fine with AAC at 320. Also agree it's a total engineering tour-de-force.
When I can get JJ to comment on something fancy, I always learn some thing new.

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

tbethel

Gold Finger

#12 [url]

dcollins wrote:
Only colleges had the bandwidth to support file-sharing back in the 1890's. And it sounds fine with AAC at 320. Also agree it's a total engineering tour-de-force.

I didn't know the internet went back that far in time

-TOM-
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director, Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
www.acoustikmusik.com/
Celebrating 22 years in business in 2017

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#13 [url]

dcollins wrote:
 So true. JJ is a treasure.  I'd love to know if his AAC R&D was honestly aimed at "improvement" or motivated by avoiding patent infringement.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#14 [url]

I've heard a few pretty damn good mixes over the years that actually wound up using 320 mp3s for many of the tracks within the mix. Never thought anything was lacking.

Quote    Reply   

Justin P

Silverado

#15 [url]

gtoledo3 wrote:
I've heard a few pretty damn good mixes over the years that actually wound up using 320 mp3s for many of the tracks within the mix. Never thought anything was lacking.

320kbps mp3 itself can sound pretty good when encoded using best practices. The problem here is that when the is encoded again to mp3, much of the data is lost and things can go downhill fast. The mix itself could be OK if mp3 files were used for whatever reason, but the eventual encoding process the song will face could be detrimental.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#16 [url]

In one of the cases I'm talking about the tracks were clean and unprocessed, run through analog processing for the mix, and then back to digital. It started sort of as a test remix with the intent of using the full res eventually, but wound up as a final.

Probably one of the most favorable scenarios for that.

Quote    Reply   

Dom

New Forum Friend

#17 [url]

bob olhsson wrote:
LAME was ruled infringement in court. It doesn't sound better than the actual paid licenses, just the original free demo. Some developers were too lazy to switch after they started paying for licenses.

Thanks for the info Bob.

I also agree it's a great feat of engineering. What amazes me even more is that a good song is still a good song even after all sorts of audio crimes have been committed to it.

Dom H

www.smoothtonemastering.com

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help