dietrich

Silverado

#21 [url]

Vinyl problems in 2017 stem from inferior playback systems first, rushed pressings 2nd. 3rd would be maxed out audio sent in with no headroom...not easy to translate.

Quote    Reply   

waltzingbear

Platinum Blonde

#22 [url]

minor semantic quibble,
the problem is not, no headroom, I'm sure there is sufficient headroom for the signal that is there,
the problem is no dynamic range in the audio.

Cheers
Alan

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#23 [url]

waltzingbear wrote:
minor semantic quibble,
the problem is not, no headroom, I'm sure there is sufficient headroom for the signal that is there,
the problem is no dynamic range in the audio.

Cheers
Alan

I think the problem Dietrich is referring to is actually the high frequency distortion created when heavily clipping and limiting the audio. No dynamic range means a easy cut. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote    Reply   

dietrich

Silverado

#24 [url]

Attenuating audio -12dBu with extra selective frequency cuts 5-10k to cut a clean lacquer is often the task.
There is a lot of educating new clients

Quote    Reply   

waltzingbear

Platinum Blonde

#25 [url]

I'm a little confused, I think we are saying the same thing, in different ways (hence my allusion to semantics)

The lack of dynamic range I was referring to is the crushing of the audio with clippers/limiters/etc. Which as you say generates an increase of hf content, which needs control. A track that has inherently a controlled dynamic range without processing (or minimal) would indeed be easy to cut, especially if it is acoustic in origin and has a naturally falling power freq curve.

are we saying the same thing?

Alan

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#26 [url]

waltzingbear wrote:

are we saying the same thing?

Sort of. It's possible to crush the piss out of stuff without generating problematic HF content. I've spent a lot of time on that.

Quote    Reply   

hallams

Platinum Blonde

#28 [url]

gold wrote:

bob olhsson wrote:
A German company began manufacturing them recently. I think Third Man bought some of them.

There are a few new presses being manufactured. I believe GZ owns the plant in the article. GZ had presses designed and built for them. I don't think they are commercially available.

Third Man bought Finebuilt presses which are hand presses  made in Germany.

Then there is Viryl which is the Toronto based company that Dietrich is involved with. Josey Records in Dallas have them and I believe there have been a bunch more sold but not announced.

One recently announced to be installing Warmtones here in Melbourne, going by the name of Program Records with Gill Mathews, former Drummer with Billy Thorp as the Mastering and cutting engineer. Gill has been re releising  70's oz rock recordings under his company name Aztec Records.

Hallamsound Productions.

Last Edited By: hallams . Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

rat

Silverado

#30 [url]

dietrich wrote:
We have some Warmtones going down to Athens Georgia as well

And, so it seems, Melbourne Australia!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help