ccash

Platinum Blonde

Lead

Jan 24 11 8:27 AM

Tags : :

Wow, I got started in September 2007.

Ive come a long long way both in the build and in knowlege.

I have dug up a bunch of pictures that I saved of the build and am going to put them up along with some of the comments and advice that I recieved mostly from you guys.

So here goes.

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#1 [url]

Jan 24 11 8:32 AM

In the beggining, I didnt have a clue.

Wed 5th Sep 2007.

"Hello,
I am finally building my dream. I have been recording in what was my front room for a few years. I am a guitarist that loves to record.Anyhoo,, Construction finally started, I am not sure if this is the correct forum but I figured I will try. Below is a simple sketch of what I am doing, so far I just have the foundations down and am pouring the floor as I speak. I had an architech draw the plans properly.
I am not putting the drums in ISO as the sketch shows but I am putting them in that area.
What I want;
Any info at all that maybe you guys can see that I may be doing wrong.
Ant suggestions on the best way to make both the live area and the control are sound as good as possible.
Thanks,
Clifford.

P.S the narrative on the sketch is incorrect except for the dimensions.
Thanks again."

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#2 [url]

Jan 24 11 8:45 AM

C'mon Clifford... that picture doesn't show the luscious amplifier and keyboard collection you've amassed!

-Keith Andrews -If I can't fix it, I can fix it so [i]NOBODY[/i] can fix it!

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#3 [url]

Jan 24 11 9:52 AM

Back then there was no keyboards and the only amp was the AC30 RI.
I have since massed a lovely collection of awesome gear IMO.

I first started out way back with 2 cassette recorders, small boom boxs, bouncing abck and forth between the two.
Then I dicovered the Tascam 4 track, that  thing was just too cool.

Then I moved on to the Boss BR8, cutting technology big time, I was the man.

Then the Roland vs 890. It just dont get no better than this. And the learning curve was forever. Howevr I owe the 890 for teaching me some of  the wonders of digital recording.

This thing was HUGE!!

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#4 [url]

Jan 24 11 9:58 AM

Then someone told me about something called Pro Tools.
" But that means I have to use a computer!, I hate computers."

So begins my journey of massive spending with Sweetwaterplain

Erm, so whats a Mac?

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#5 [url]

Jan 24 11 10:08 AM

My first real recording experience came with two jazz guys, a trumpet  and a sax player.

By this time I had already aquired  a huge collection of mics.
1 x AT 4047 and 1 x SM58.

The jazz guys came in with backing tracks already done, all they wanted was to put trumpet and sax tracks.

In they came and installed a pirate cakewalk on my old IBM PC.
We used a Mackie mixer for mic pres and about a month later we were done with I think 5 songs.
I still think that stuff sounds great.
This is when I was educated about the difference between a PC and a Mac, the old IBM ended up on my back patio smashed.

I was officially hooked, bye bye bank account.....................

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

Jan 24 11 10:28 AM

I then did a whole album for a Bahamian female artist, everything, all instruments.

By this time I had purchased a Roland TD10 electronic drums.
I figured it would be so much easier to record than having real drums to mic up, plus I only had 2 mics.
This was done intirely on the VS890.

I learned lots from the drummer of these sessions, he was also the producer.
The album turned out OK and did get some local radio play..

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#7 [url]

Jan 24 11 10:36 AM

A music friend of mine that was also into recording was already a couple steps ahead of me.
I went to see his place, he had a Mac computer with 001 LE Pro Tools and a pair of Mackie monitors.
It sounded incredible.
He also had a couple API mic pres???  " What are they man?"

He says that he met some guy named Terry Manning out at Compass Point studios and he had said that API were good.
OK, so I went home and did a search for API, I looked at the 3124+, $2500.00!!!!!! WHAT!

So hello Mercenary.........................

So there it is, 2 of the 3124+'s. never once regretted making the investment.
Grace 101 pre
Summit tla 50 compressor
002 LE
KRK V-4 monitors

And yes, thats a Lucas EQ on the top.

I spent quite a few years in that space, the Lucas came just when I was thinking of expanding.

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#8 [url]

Jan 24 11 10:53 AM

My house is not too big but the back patio WAS kinda large.
Bye bye back patio............

I must say here and now that my wife was very patient and understanding and supportiveheart

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#9 [url]

Jan 24 11 1:28 PM

I got lots of help.

Wed, 05 September 2007

"Clifford,

Well, your first mistake was not inviting me down to the bahamas for some diving and design!!! The sketch doesn't really provide enough information for an informed review... Is your control room the smaller corner room in the upper right corner?? what dimensions, layout and treatments do you have in mind?? Do you have isolation concerns?? If so, what type of construction do you plan??

There are plenty of us here who will chime in with feedback but you have to give us a little more info.. Let us know!! Cheers and save a shark dive for me!! What part of the Bahamas are you in?? I've been all around.. If I had my choice, I'd build my retreat out at Cay Sal Bank!! Nobody around anywhere. Some of the best diving and star gazing I've ever done!

FM "

Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
- Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#11 [url]

Jan 24 11 5:45 PM

Hey Clifford.

I hadn't realised you had built an extension for the studio.
Just shows how well integrated it is.

Quote    Reply   

trock

Platinum Blonde

#13 [url]

Jan 24 11 7:20 PM

yeah cliff

thanks for redoing this, i remember your build out and it was actually an inspiration to get me going on mine.

i had a roland vs 1880!! then a 2480, however i "cut" my teeth in the 80's at home on a fostex!

now i am on a mac pro that has PT 9 logic 9 and cubase 5 on it. i mainly use cubase though

will try and pick some post, before and after of mine as soon as i can (in the middle of other home renovations now and main PC with pics is down)

cliff, question for you. you said you worked a day job and then did this on the side. where do you find the energy? i also LOVE music but i find the whole process of writing, engineering, producing and mixing even one of my songs exhausting almost to the point of not doing it.

thanks!

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#14 [url]

Jan 24 11 7:44 PM

Hey Clifford.I hadn't realised you had built an extension for the studio.Just shows how well integrated it is.

-kb_s1

Hi Keith,

Im wishing now that I would have gone further out into the yard  with the expansion.
I need to fit the B3,Leslie and eventually a piano.
Not gonna happen in there.

Hmmm.....

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#15 [url]

Jan 24 11 7:45 PM

This is great to see again!Can't wait for this thread to catch up" past the past," and show the present!

-compasspnt

Lots of positive change and constant learning.

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#16 [url]

Jan 24 11 7:59 PM

yeah cliffthanks for redoing this, i remember your build out and it was actually an inspiration to get me going on mine.i had a roland vs 1880!! then a 2480, however i "cut" my teeth in the 80's at home on a fostex!now i am on a mac pro that has PT 9 logic 9 and cubase 5 on it. i mainly use cubase thoughwill try and pick some post, before and after of mine as soon as i can (in the middle of other home renovations now and main PC with pics is down)cliff, question for you. you said you worked a day job and then did this on the side. where do you find the energy? i also LOVE music but i find the whole process of writing, engineering, producing and mixing even one of my songs exhausting almost to the point of not doing it.thanks!

-trock

Hi Tim,

As I write this I am in a session with a guy that I have been working with for about a year.
I went to work this morning at 7.30am and got home about 6pm..
Last night the session ended around 10.30pm.
Thats not even my stuff.

I try to keep Saturdays completely open for doing my stuff.

I dont know about you but I do not depend on the studio for income (thank God), so I can set my own time and decide how much I want to do.

Not saying that I dont make any money, so far the studio is paying my electricity bill and a little more.
Thats no too bad figuring that electricity is high.

As for energy, the more weight I loose the more energy I have.

Thanks.

Quote    Reply   

jaykadis

Platinum Blonde

#18 [url]

Jan 24 11 10:41 PM

I had almost convinced myself I don't need a real studio at home, I just have what amounts to a control room.  I have such a nice room at work I just don't want to work in a converted garage anymore.  But my wife wants to be able to sing any time day or night and the cats head for the door when she does... so now SHE's talking about building a real studio.  Plus we just met a prospective bass player who's also a general contractor.  This could get expensive.

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#20 [url]

Jan 25 11 8:10 AM

I had almost convinced myself I don't need a real studio at home, I just have what amounts to a control room.  I have such a nice room at work I just don't want to work in a converted garage anymore.  But my wife wants to be able to sing any time day or night and the cats head for the door when she does... so now SHE's talking about building a real studio.  Plus we just met a prospective bass player who's also a general contractor.  This could get expensive.
[image]
[/quote

If you do, please take pictures.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help