ccash

Platinum Blonde

#21 [url]

Jan 25 11 10:39 AM

OK, the outside walls are going up.

and the beltcourse.

And here is the main producer,engineer and overseer Mr. Termite Mcdermutt. (Shadow)
He has been called a superstar among other things.grin

Quote    Reply   

samc

Silverado

#23 [url]

Jan 26 11 9:19 AM

Clifford, did you design the studio yourself or did you have a studio architect/acoustician design it, and was it difficult to get all the permits etc for construction?  

What was the process from design to breaking ground?

Sam Clayton We are who we are because of what we know

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#24 [url]

Jan 26 11 9:36 AM

Hi Sam,

I did have an architect draw it up for me.
As for the design, back then I was just trying to get as much space as I could without completely destroying my home.

As for permits, all I will say is I'm glad sometimes that I live in a third world country.

When I went to the architect I carried my house plans and told him what I wanted to accomplish.
He just basically showed me what was structurally possible with my existing roof and beltcourse.

Unfortunately I didnt discover PSW until after the foundation had started as I got a wealth of information from a bunch of  great people.
However, looking back on it now, I dont think I would have wanted or was able to do much more with the external dimentions anyway without having to do a major re-design of the back of my house. That was not in the budget.

As for the inside set up, I had a basic idea of what I was going to do but that changed as I recieved more and more information from the pro's.

If I had to do it all again and I had the finances.

I would have left my house alone and put a seperate building in my back yard. I have more than enough property. Perhaps a steel building or something prefab out of the US.

Thanks.

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#25 [url]

Jan 26 11 10:55 AM

Fri, 07 September 2007

compasspnt

Hi,

I am from the Department of Public Works.

May I see your Building Permit number?

Fri, 07 September 2007

C.CASH

surpriseSSSSSHHHH!
dont tell dem, day keep telling me tree weeks !
dis dat an de udder plain

Sat, 08 September 2007

franman

Terry,

I would like see your permits as well.... LOL, don wanna av to send da mon over there... grin

Clifford.. let's talk ceiling height.. what are your plans for the roof? What type of maximum hard ceiling (assumed flat) inside will you be able to accomodate?? Then you have to work the three proportions as discussed above, to find a good ratio set....

I would suggest sticking with the rectangle concept for reasons of simpler modal predicability.... ok? Then it's on the reflection control, locations for doors and window(s)... bass traps.. etc... etc..
First things first... ceiling height?? what are dose rectangle dimension mon?? 11'8"1/4" X 9"1/8" no make sense mon...

Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
- Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#27 [url]

Jan 26 11 10:59 AM

I remember this day well.
Inside looking out, soon time to break down the wall leading into the house.

The wall with the window is the wall that came down, what a mess!!
However before we broke it down we put up the wall framing separating the studio and my front room. This way we were able to put up a tarp to prevent some of the concrete dust drifting into my home.

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#28 [url]

Jan 26 11 11:19 AM

Wed, 12 September 2007

C.CASH

I won't call any names but someone told me when I first started thinking about expanding my home studio that whatever amount I figured it was gonna cost to triple it. I thought he was joking. surprise

Playing guitar and recording music is the most relaxing thing that I have ever found, even when I'm stressing over a problem, in the end its still very rewarding. I go in my space and get lost for hours at a time and dont even get hungry.Dont know why I'm writing this. I guess its to convince myself that no matter how much all this costs and no matter how much hastle it is to get this up and going. I am finally building my dream.
And thank you guys for all the help.

Wed, 12 September 2007

Larrchild

People who make their music in picturesque, relaxing environments often think better and capture those thoughts better. So you are way ahead in the vibe dept.

The room and gear just need to not screw that up, and sound like you want. And yes, it's a lot of dough.

But all this forethought when a slab is there is good timing. smile
It's usually as strenuous and expensive to build a bad room.

Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

Wed, 12 September 2007

rankus

Wait till you start pricing the cabling. "The unseen hidden studio cost" that we all overlook in the budget planning stage.

But in the end it's all worth it!

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#29 [url]

Jan 26 11 11:30 AM

Fri, 14 September 2007

C.CASH

Well boys and girls, I'm off for 2 weeks vacation tomorrow. I'm also getting married crying, So I wont be posting till I get back. The construction will still be moving foward, my dad will keep an eye on them.
So again thanks for all the help.
Clifford.

Fri, 14 September 2007

compasspnt

"

NATAS wrote on Fri, 14 September 2007 07:58

...I'm also getting married...

And so endeth the gear acquisition.

Seriously, congrats.

PS: And thanks for leaving the catalogue!

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#30 [url]

Jan 26 11 11:44 AM

Tue, 02 October 2007

compasspnt

C.CASH asks; "Any one know a good place to get quality wall panels? I want to put 8-10 Mic, a couple instrument and headphone jacks."

Hey,

Frank, of Lucas Engineering fame, answers:

"I still like the Modular Panel System from Signal Transport very much, and would recommend it highly."

Fri, 19 October 2007

C.CASH

Signal Transport, Highly recommended. Solid product.

Quote    Reply   

samc

Silverado

#31 [url]

Jan 26 11 3:53 PM

As for permits, all I will say is I'm glad sometimes that I live in a third world country.

-ccash

Just be thankful you don't live in France...the land of mind numbing red-tape, runaround and paperwork...

Sam Clayton We are who we are because of what we know

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#32 [url]

Jan 27 11 8:06 AM

Sun, 21 October 2007

C.CASH

"Well, the roof is finished! had the roof wetting Friday afternoon (Bahamian tradition) just another excuse to drink lots of beer.

So now begins the interior. I think the first things will be to construct the new wall that will separate the studio from my dinning room. This will also have the entrance door. I am planning 2 solid core wooden doors sealed all around mounted back to back."

The room is stripped, this was my old space and was open to the dining area.

Staggered beams and the top and bottom is seperated by 1/2". We also cut the corners off the 2x4 to de-couple the inner and outer walls as much as possible.

Sealing up the other doorway.

All the walls so far are concrete block, the floor is a solid 6" concrete slab.

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#33 [url]

Jan 27 11 9:00 AM

Mon, 29 October 2007

"gulfo

how come the studs on one side are inset from the edge?

one trick to reduce coupling between walls is to rip the 2x6 plate down the middle, then trim the corners on the studs so they only touch each side. under the plate should be some isolation material like neoprene. this decouples the frame and if you add a layer of resilient channel on one side, that will decouple the drywall from the frame. you don't get quite the level of isolation that fully seperated frames give you because the air gap is much reduced but its a bunch better then the single plate approach (in most cases).

Glenn Stanton"

www.runnel.com/

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#34 [url]

Jan 27 11 9:06 AM

Tue, 06 November 2007

C.Cash

"O K !!
Anywho, here is the view from my dinning room surprise

Thats a tarp covering the frame wall, keeps some of the dust out" sad

Inside looking at the tarp.

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#37 [url]

Jan 27 11 4:34 PM

Window holes cut in the CR.

Starting to install the Ultratouch insulation. (recycled blue jeans)

I dont have any pictures of the resilent channel, all of the sheetrock was hung on the channel.
One layer of 5/8" then greenglue then another layer of 1/2" sheetrock.

Same on the ceiling.

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#38 [url]

Jan 28 11 9:23 AM

Tue, 27 November 2007

compasspnt

"Did you hide little notes in the walls so that in a hundred years, when the mutated space alien-humans are tearing your studio out, they can read about today?"

Tue, 27 November 2007

C.CASH

" I'm hoping the "Space Alien Humans" will be able to listen to something I recorded " smile

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#39 [url]

Jan 28 11 9:28 AM

Fri, 07 December 2007

C.CASH

"Today was the last day for my contractor, he gave me the keys at lunch time.
Now my work begins but I am shutting it down till next year. It will take at least a month just to clean up all the dust! "

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Fri, 07 December 2007

Larrchild

" Many an over-zealous studio builder has learned, at great expense, the inherent incompatibility of drywall dust and mixing consoles.

It's a total switch/pot killer.

Clean well, then roll the gear in.=) "

Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#40 [url]

Jan 28 11 9:34 AM

Wed, 09 January 2008

C.CASH

" I am now working on my ceiling. I had a bunch of Auralex 2" x 2' x 4' wedge foam left over from my previous space. Almost enough to do the entire tracking room. I placed an order with Sweetwater for enough to finish. I also had some Auralex Lenrd Bass traps, enough for 3 corners. I ordered more of those. I will use those until I can afford some Realtraps and use the Lenrds else where.The room is starting to tighten up a bit,still alot of reflections but getting better. I'll try get some fresh pics up. "

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

I still love those lights.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help