peteandrews

Gold Finger

#101 [url]

Feb 23 11 2:21 PM

cliff - 

so here's a few questions for you:

- what things (if any) do you wish you'd done differently on this home build?
- what things worked out better than expected?
- what were the biggest gotchyas?

i have been working out of 3 rooms in a basement for the past 13 years and in the last 2 years or so have been planning to move out to a separate building i am trying to design and have built in place of an old garage behind my house. in the past week though i've actually been seriously considering converting an enclosed porch and attached patio on the back of the house into the 2 rooms i'm going to need (track/mix). it would be much the same as your build i believe. i see many plusses (in my situation) to doing it this way OVER the detached building...  but i'd love to get your take on it in light you your build.

-pete

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#102 [url]

Feb 23 11 6:54 PM

cliff - so here's a few questions for you:- what things (if any) do you wish you'd done differently on this home build?- what things worked out better than expected?- what were the biggest gotchyas?i have been working out of 3 rooms in a basement for the past 13 years and in the last 2 years or so have been planning to move out to a separate building i am trying to design and have built in place of an old garage behind my house. in the past week though i've actually been seriously considering converting an enclosed porch and attached patio on the back of the house into the 2 rooms i'm going to need (track/mix). it would be much the same as your build i believe. i see many plusses (in my situation) to doing it this way OVER the detached building...  but i'd love to get your take on it in light you your build.-pete

-peteandrews

Hey Pete,

"- what things (if any) do you wish you'd done differently on this home build? "

Bigger, not because of the sound but because I need more space.
I have a b3 that I would love to put in there and eventually a piano. I can possibly get the B3 and Leslie in but not the piano.
I think the biggest thing that I didn't do that is the biggest "gotchya" is STORAGE space. I have nowhere to put all the extra stuff, cymbals,snares,cables,mics,power supplies,connectors,guitars,percussion instruments,amplifiers...................................
All of this stuff is in my spare bedroom, give lots of thought on storage.

"- what things worked out better than expected?"

Isolation.
I spent lots of time researching isolation. I also spent lots of money trying to implement what I had researched. BUT it payed off in a big way.
I can go in my studio and turn on my Bassman and get on it and freakout for as long as I want whilst the wife is in the next room watching TV and chatting on the phone. Well worth every penny spent.

I am also quite happy with how the room sounds. Everything that I read pretty much said that if you have a small room that does not really sound good then just make it sound dead. Thats what I did.
Completely covered the ceiling in foam and put lots of traps on the walls and corners. BUT what I have found that by taking some of the traps down off the walls and rolling up the floor rugs I can get a different more live sounding room. I love it, no complaints.

If I could have a separate building off from my house?

Perhaps.
The other thing that I don't like is having strangers in my house. Some strangers are all good but some are not. So a separate building would be great. However as I said before Im not doing this for a living so I can pick and choose who comes into my space, so I am happy............. for the moment.

Thanks.

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#103 [url]

Feb 23 11 7:16 PM

cliff - 
 ... great info there.

i have the "strangers in your home" thing licked. My plan involves two rooms built off the back of my house... the control room will share it's back wall with what is essentially the back of the house now. den on one side,  and a back door / hallway that leads into the kitchen on the other. in that little hallway is a bathroom. throw a new door up between the kitchen and that hall and i've effectively cut off the house from the clients, and still have a bathroom for them. also planned an outside entrance through the tracking room only. problem solved. 

isolation/room dims/size have been researched for some time now, so i'm not worried about that. ... not that i'm working at levels along with some of you guys here, but if i can make stuff sound as good as i do in the space i've been in, i can only get better with a new space. 

storage... good point. i will most likely use one of the rooms here that i'm moving out of for all the gear not in use. 

thanks cliff!

pete

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#105 [url]

Feb 24 11 6:28 AM

Cliff, when you say get on your bassman and wifey can be in the next room does that mean bass gtr or 6 string ?

-mikeconrad

6 string.

However, I have had full bands in there, bass,drums,keys,guitars...........
and the Wife is still comfortable in the next room. She can hear it but she can still watch the tele.

Quote    Reply   

mikeconrad

Gold Finger

#106 [url]

Feb 24 11 8:09 PM

I only ask because at my place/home I can get away with anything all night long except the low end.
I bought my house about 6 years ago with the intention of building a studio in the basement. First it had to be a 2 story with the bedrooms upstairs and the highest ceiling I could find, mine are 9 foot but after the 3 layers of drywall and insulation they wound up being about 8 and 1/2. I still have lots to do but I'm old and busy.

Quote    Reply   

hallams

Platinum Blonde

#107 [url]

Feb 27 11 11:05 PM

Bad picture of a screamo on the SM7.[image]

-ccash

....in keeping with the former thread i thought i should make mention of the Fosters Lager sign, that apparently was formally on show ar Compass Point.

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#111 [url]

Mar 5 11 12:48 PM

Hey, that was the "Old Clifford" playing that guitar.

-compasspnt

No kiddin!

New Clifford is a lean, mean, strummin' machine!

Stick with it Cliff... I just bought myself an all-carbon superlight bike... can't WAIT to get some miles on it!

Keith

-Keith Andrews -If I can't fix it, I can fix it so [i]NOBODY[/i] can fix it!

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#112 [url]

Mar 7 11 7:51 AM

No kiddin!
New Clifford is a lean, mean, strummin' machine!
Stick with it Cliff... I just bought myself an all-carbon superlight bike... can't WAIT to get some miles on it!
Keith

-ssltech

2 more lbs gone last week!

I feel good.

Thanks for the inspiration Keith.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help