dr funk

Platinum Blonde

#182 [url]

Oct 22 13 6:04 PM

jimblair Frank: Thanks for having a look! Yes, that's a D80 and a D85. There's also a big E70 hiding in one of the other rooms, if you can spot it!

Oh yes, I spotted it! How are you getting on with it? Have you had a chance to spend some time with it yet? The drum machine is really nice, and you can mix rhythms! The expression pedal filter sweep trick is also pretty cool! Very CS-ish with some of the brass sounds.

jimblair Those Hammond S6 chord organs are sleeping giants. They are sort of "baby Novachords" (but less carcinogenic). Run a 1/4 inch out, and send it to effects and a Leslie. Amazing. AND....the big secret is that they have an rca input. Instant killer 50's tube amplifier, with two 6L6's and two 10 inch speakers.

Now I REALLY want one! Just spent the past while trawling eBay again - in vain...

jimblair The Cotillion probably gets the most use out of any instrument here. It's just so FUN, and the choir sounds are from another planet. 

That doesn't surprise me! Trying to remember my Lowrey history - does the choir alternate between different vowel sounds? My MX-1 is a real attention grabber here, particularly the mad orchestrations! Sadly, I haven't had any takers for the orchestrations on a recording yet... I've recorded the strings several times though - lovely 3 channel BBD chorus! I'd imagine the Cotillion strings are very similar?

Frank

Last Edited By: dr funk Oct 22 13 6:06 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

jimblair

Gold Finger

#183 [url]

Oct 22 13 8:08 PM

Frank: The E70 is a stunning machine. There is quite a bit of documentation online regarding the electronic "unlocking" of what is more-or-less two and a half CS80's in a fancy box, with a rotating speaker, two keyboards, bass pedals, a reverb, a wah/volume pedal, and a drum machine. They are amoung the big secrets of the vintage synth world, and can still be found at reasonable prices.

Keep looking for an S6! They sound great, and are incredibly reliable. If there does happen to be a problem, it's almost always one of the 30 or so tubes.

Yes, the Lowrey Cotillion does that strange vowel change trick. Quite freaky and original. It's like you're listening to some weird alien language that you can "almost" understand, but not quite. I swear that once, during a session, I heard it say "Let's Go". The strings are quite nice, but with the Omni 2 in the room, it's hard to compete.

The other Lowrey in the photo is our Lincolnwood TSO-25. It's the upscale Berkshire, and does "Baba O Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" beautifully. It's also the model that Garth Hudson used, starting at Woodstock. GREAT volume/wah pedal, which works on the drums too!

Quote    Reply   

dr funk

Platinum Blonde

#184 [url]

Oct 23 13 2:36 PM

Hi Jim, I'm a fellow E70 owner, and I started the 'unlocking the E70' thread, so yep, I'm well aware of its synth-coolness factor!  image

But, as much as I'd love it to be a couple of CS80s in a big wooden box, I'd have to disagree somewhat.  Definitely in the same sonic family but with early wavetable DCOs (so no fancy pitch bends or 'organic' analogue oscillator goodness).  I found a short discussion between matrix (of matrixsynth fame) and The Old Crow (CS80 guru) that describes the differences:

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/yamahacs80/conversations/topics/1650

So, more like cousins than siblings!  Still has pedigree all of its own though - Pete Townshend used an E70 on 'Eminence Front'!

I didn't realise that the old Lowrey was a Lincolnwood!  Way cool indeed!  Has it got the 'Lucy in the Sky' harpsichord?

Frank

Quote    Reply   

jimblair

Gold Finger

#185 [url]

Oct 23 13 2:49 PM

Frank: Agreed on the E70. Hence the "more or less" in my description. Pretty damn cool machine. I wonder if Pete still has his? 

"Lucy" was played on a Lowrey Heritage DSO-1, but the Lincolnwood is certainly in the ballpark.

Nanaimo, BC Canada www.facebook.com/ApeIslandSound

Quote    Reply   

dr funk

Platinum Blonde

#186 [url]

Oct 23 13 3:54 PM

Oops - sorry Jim, somehow I missed the 'more or less' bit! Not sure if Pete still has his, but I know someone who can ask him.  There's documentary footage out there of him demonstrating the Lowrey (Berkshire, I think?), and he's got an ARP 2500 and 2600.  So I suppose he might have kept the E70.

Frank

Last Edited By: dr funk Oct 23 13 8:21 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

jimblair

Gold Finger

#187 [url]

Oct 25 13 10:57 AM

Frank: It does appear that Pete has hung on to much of his old gear. I've also heard that there's a photo of McCartney with an E70.

Quote    Reply   

jimblair

Gold Finger

#189 [url]

Dec 8 14 11:59 AM

Did a big clean-up and rearrange of the keys a couple of nights ago. Figured I'd celebrate with a post. 

Last Edited By: jimblair Dec 8 14 12:10 PM. Edited 4 times.

Quote    Reply   

jimblair

Gold Finger

#192 [url]

Dec 8 14 4:46 PM

spiritwalker wrote:
Look at that f$#ckin Atari! :)

lol! You aren't the first person to say that! The Atari is hooked up to the DX7, and is running DXHeaven software. FM editing made easy! If that's not your prefered flavour, there's a Commodore 64 on the other side of the room, on the Clavinet. It's running an MSSIAH cartridge, which allows editing control of the SID ship. It also enables the C64 to be played directly from a midi keyboard. Sounds great!

Quote    Reply   

dr funk

Platinum Blonde

#195 [url]

Dec 8 14 5:02 PM

Nice work Jim! Poor little Hammond S6, buried under that modular. :-) Since we last talked about the S6 on this thread, I managed to locate one in the UK!

Unfortunately I have absolutely nowhere to put it - I'm overflowing with keyboards as it is, although probably only a third of what you've got!

Frank

Quote    Reply   

jimblair

Gold Finger

#196 [url]

Dec 8 14 5:03 PM

jaykadis wrote:
How many of those keyboards have dead keys? I'm restoring my wife's Roland D-70, on which eight keys still work.

No dead keys. Almost everything is restored and working beautifully. EVERYTHING is carefully maintained. This is not a zoo full of dead animals. lol

If you need any replacement keys for your D70, let me know. I have lots of spares.

Quote    Reply   

dr funk

Platinum Blonde

#197 [url]

Dec 8 14 5:10 PM

jaykadis wrote:
How many of those keyboards have dead keys? I'm restoring my wife's Roland D-70, on which eight keys still work.

Hi Jay, I have a D-50, and over the years I've had problems with dead/intermittent keys and wild velocity jumps.  The solution in my case was to peel off the rubber contact strips and clean any specks of dust off the conductive 'buttons' and their respective PCB mounted contacts.

Hope this might help with the D-70.

Frank

Last Edited By: dr funk Dec 8 14 8:09 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

jimblair

Gold Finger

#198 [url]

Dec 8 14 6:17 PM

compasspnt wrote:
Damn you, Jim Blair.

Lots of fun things to do on Vancouver Island, Terry! It's a beautiful place, come up for a visit sometime. See the sights and record some keys while you're here!

Quote    Reply   

jaykadis

Platinum Blonde

#199 [url]

Dec 8 14 7:15 PM

jimblair wrote:

jaykadis wrote:

No dead keys. Almost everything is restored and working beautifully. EVERYTHING is carefully maintained. This is not a zoo full of dead animals. lol

Those animals do take care and feeding.

I fixed this keyboard once before and eventually had it replaced. It was once hosed down in an al fresco gig accident.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help