compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#21 [url]

Jan 28 11 9:54 AM

Yes, it really happened.

That piano was a Baldwin, and the legs have a sort of a twist locking mechanism to install them (unlike Yamaha and some others who use only a long bolting system).

The people putting on the legs did not quite engage the leg locks, so the piano looked fine and played fine and sat there beautifully...until Cliff decided to move it a bit.

It came crashing down, just barely missing not only his foot, but also his dog Shadow!

The piano story actually gets worse, but that's for a far distant time to tell.

Quote    Reply   

samc

Silverado

#24 [url]

Jan 28 11 3:50 PM

Yes, it really happened.That piano was a Baldwin, and the legs have a sort of a twist locking mechanism to install them (unlike Yamaha and some others who use only a long bolting system).The people putting on the legs did not quite engage the leg locks, so the piano looked fine and played fine and sat there beautifully...until Cliff decided to move it a bit.It came crashing down, just barely missing not only his foot, but also his dog Shadow!The piano story actually gets worse, but that's for a far distant time to tell.

-compasspnt

Wow!?!

The though of it falling the dog or his foot..... 

Sam Clayton We are who we are because of what we know

Quote    Reply   

archtop

Silverado

#26 [url]

Jan 28 11 6:57 PM

Yes.
Thanks Terry.

I've been very lucky, goin' on 11 years.

It's still kicking.
Weekends are the hot commodity.

I don't get 40 hrs a week. 
but with gigging as guitarist, giving guitar lessons and  gigging as a drummer.

I'm able to stay quite busy

Quote    Reply   

yz

Aqua Marine

#30 [url]

Jan 31 11 1:52 PM

For quite a while I had the pleasure to track and mix at this humble private place (I'm a bit ashamed to show it compared to the good stuff that's been posted here):

Sorry for the badly-stitched pic, that's all I have...  no pics of the CR.

The place was burglarized and everything was taken: desk, recorders, monitors, microphones, headphones...  they left the piano.

The owner was heartbroken and did not rebuilt the place.

We did Jazz, MPB (Brazilian Music), Big Bands - yes, I once tracked a 22-figure plus drums, bass and gtr band in that room; 3 mics on drums, 1 for gtr, 1 for the upright bass and a single stereo pair for the rest.

Sometimes straight to 2-track.

Good times.

Quote    Reply   

yz

Aqua Marine

#32 [url]

Jan 31 11 3:33 PM

I found an old copy of part of the rehearsal of that big band session...  sounds quite a bit fuzzy, probably because it was captured via the analog input of a laptop from the 2-track sometime around 2000.

Things are still off-balance but you can get an idea of 'the sound' even with the horrible laptop audio.

I hope the link works...

http://depositfiles.com/files/6czr6t9la

Well, the place is still there and besides of having no recording gear it looks pretty much the same.

I visited only once after the burglary, I felt so bad I didn't want to take a second look at the emptiness of the CR. It was a not-for-profit endeavor, we used to record artists who couldn't afford a 'proper' studio and whom the owner thought that deserved a hand. He was a Jazz fan so we did a lot of that...  we had some interesting musos in there: Edsel Gomez, Moacyr Peixoto, Lito Robledo, Jorge Oscar, Aluizio Pontes, Toninho Pinheiro, and more people from the golden years of Bossa Nova than I can remember.
We also did some Dixieland albums :)

The piano is a Yamaha G2J, the drums are Pearl Maxwin from the 1960s and the upright bass in the picture is a Karl Höfner.

Nothing too fancy but gets the job done for Jazz and Bossa Nova.

Quote    Reply   

pauly

Silverado

#33 [url]

Feb 3 11 11:22 PM

[image]

-bblackwood

I really like that front wall, gives the room a much longer appearance. I'm guessing under the fabric is 703 or 705?

Quote    Reply   

digitmus

Gold Finger

#34 [url]

Feb 4 11 4:05 AM

Dang, I really need to get some good pics of my little home studio.  Here are a couple of random shots people have sent from recent years...

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#36 [url]

Feb 4 11 8:38 AM

Nice indeed Scott.

Do you care to describe your setup a bit? Is is right inside your home itself, or in a separate space?

How big is the live room?

Quote    Reply   

digitmus

Gold Finger

#40 [url]

Feb 4 11 2:26 PM

Nice indeed Scott.Do you care to describe your setup a bit? Is is right inside your home itself, or in a separate space?How big is the live room?

-compasspnt

It's a building attached to the house, the big room is about 40' x 45' (it's not exactly a rectangle) with ceilings that rise from 12' to 16'.  The control area is formed by gobos and moveable, flexible walls. There's an iso booth big enough for vocals or acoustic instruments, and a drum "booth" of mostly plexiglass that can be partially or totally moved/removed to allow different amounts of ambience.
  I like to record "old school" with everyone in the same room, in visual contact with each other. For reducing bleed, I have gobos and moveable walls, as well as "amp rooms" in the corners - and a 5 station Hearback system for monitoring. 

It's sort of live-end/dead-end with carpet and wall treatment at one end, and hardwood and (mostly) bare walls at the other. I wanted the space to be really flexible, so everything (except the console) is easily moveable by 1 or 2 people.

Scott

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help