rphilbeck

Silverado

#43 [url]

Feb 14 11 4:21 PM

I had some shots done recently but have yet to get them to the website.
[image]
[image]
[image]

-archtop

Arch,

I love it!!!!  Very cozy!  -robert

"This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people." C. S. Lewis

Quote    Reply   

eightyeightkeys

Gold Finger

#44 [url]

Feb 17 11 1:42 PM

Thanks!
Sounds amazing, acoustics handled by me with upgrades by Northward Acoustics.
Rear: 
[image]

-bblackwood

Brad, it's hard to tell from the photo, but, is that fabric covering the walls ?
If so, where did you get it ? I love the color scheme. Beautiful.

David Tkaczuk

Quote    Reply   

johnwhynot

Aqua Marine

#45 [url]

Feb 23 11 12:37 PM

This is where I'm writing, programming and mixing these days.

It was formerly a very small TV lounge.  Now it's an even smaller writing room.  And, with the treatments - you wouldn't believe how good it sounds.  I hardly do myself.

I will probably hang a cloud - you can't see by the photo but there is a sort of hanging lamp right above my head that does help with the fundamental standing wave floor-to-ceiling.  But I'm pretty sure I could get more focus out of a 4x24x48 absorber hanging just below the ceiling.  That means another box of 703 - which would make for a handful more panels - top corners all round I reckon.

Anyway - you can see those tubes down behind my mac monitors - they are against the front wall and stood on scraps of 1x3 leftover from the bigger panel frames.  3 are plugged 1/2-way down - wanted to see what difference that makes.  All tubes are lined with 3/4" dacron.  The covering doesn't matter.. Do they trap bass?  A little.  Nowhere near as much as the 4" corner killers (two 2x4 4" panels stacked in each of the front corners).  I do find they kill flutter very nicely and look pretty cool.  And they're under 10 bucks a piece to build.  I think having 10 or so of them in a room might make for a pretty good standing wave killer.

Anyway I love being home right now and I love the light through the window - and the fact I have Black Currant jam and Yorkshire tea at my beck and call.

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

hallams

Platinum Blonde

#47 [url]

Feb 27 11 10:16 PM

Here are a few pics of my former place, taken while recording a few friends, the culmination of an idea that they had been brewing for many years. It was a colaboration between two friends, Terry Darmody and Steve Messer who 1st met while busking on the street in the 70's. Their descriptionof it.......

Righteously blue gospel-a-billy: contemporary old-time gospel music with elements of blues, bluegrass, country rock & musical vaudeville.

.......................... It was the sort of project that makes it all worth while.

Quote    Reply   

luc

Tin Man

#48 [url]

Feb 28 11 4:12 PM

hi!
this is our studio, its not really home studio anymore :-)

it was designed by wsdg europe and we're very happy with the outcome. great live-room to record bands live (which is the big advantage of our place, along the many amps/drums/guitar that the bands can use).

this is our homepage, in case you're interested in gear and some more pics!
www.onedrop.ch

luc montini basel, switzerland eas' an' come again, dread!

Quote    Reply   

luc

Tin Man

#49 [url]

Feb 28 11 4:15 PM

oh, and by the way,this was the setup for the "string and rockband-recording"-thread i started over at psw. the movies/songs are finished, but not online yet. as soon as they are available, i'll post them, because i got a lot of good inputs from folks back then (as usual)!

thanks
luc

Quote    Reply   

luc

Tin Man

#52 [url]

Mar 3 11 12:43 PM

hi, thanks for the nice comments!

the live-room is 47 m2, control-room 25m2, iso booth 7m2, and some storage. we also have a small studio 2, and quite a large "hang-out, smokers-lounge/more storage"-room. it used to be storage-room, one really big room (500m2) where we just rented space for our studio (150 m2 all in all). we used only one existing wall, the rest was is all built in according to the wsdg-europe plans.

rule number one when building a studio: it takes 4 times as long as intended.

rule number two when building a studio: it also costs twice as much :-)

but its so much fun in the end hahahaha!

luc

Quote    Reply   

jononiess

Silverado

#53 [url]

Mar 3 11 1:39 PM

OK.  This falls into the 'home studio in the yard' category.  Not actually in the house, but a new building on my home's property here in Austin.  Started out small, somehow got bigger.   Moved in over the last few weeks.  Still waiting on a few things:  1. arrival of console (see gaping hole in control room)  2.  pulling cable in live room, iso's, control room 3. four microphones from somewhere in Kansas (lucky numbers are 148/149  83/84)               

http://gallery.me.com/jononiess#100023

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#54 [url]

Mar 3 11 1:52 PM

OK.  This falls into the 'home studio in the yard' category.  Not actually in the house, but a new building on my home's property here in Austin.  Started out small, somehow got bigger.   Moved in over the last few weeks.  Still waiting on a few things:  1. arrival of console (see gaping hole in control room)  2.  pulling cable in live room, iso's, control room 3. four microphones from somewhere in Kansas (lucky numbers are 148/149  83/84)               
[url]

-jononiess

Wow!

Tell me about the wall panels, the ones with the wood strips.
They are beautiful, how well do they function?

Thanks.

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#55 [url]

Mar 3 11 2:19 PM

JON,

FANTASTIC!

Big congrats.

Did you build those baffles (gobos) yourself?

What console is filling the empty space?

And what are those mystery microphones coming (soon)?

Quote    Reply   

jononiess

Silverado

#56 [url]

Mar 3 11 2:34 PM

Thanks Terry.  Yeah, we built all the treatments here.  The mics - they're kind of a secret - not sure you've heard of them before.  they are coming from a schoolhouse in Kansas.  a pair that end in 1, and another pair that end in 4.  

At the risk of being flamed (hopefully this forum is a bit different from certain others) - the console is a 32 ch. Neve 75.  

Between the mics and the console - I tend to sit in here listening to my clock tick.    tick.     tick.  I had been thinking about sending a load of texas barbque to the schoolhouse as a priority-bribe.  But, the Big Man has had heart issues in the past - ribs and brisket may do more damage than good....so the Que stays here!

Quote    Reply   

yz

Aqua Marine

#57 [url]

Mar 3 11 3:57 PM

OK.  This falls into the 'home studio in the yard' category.

-jononiess

SWEET!

I'm having a serious case of studio envy now.

Quote    Reply   

jononiess

Silverado

#58 [url]

Mar 3 11 4:07 PM

hi Clifford,

sorry - didn't see your post at first.  the panels are each 9 ft tall.    they are 2.5 in frames with 2 in fiberboard inside, wrapped with black fabric.  on the back of each is another slab 2 in fiberboard that you can't see.  the slats are 1/4 in ply arranged in a 3/4/5 ratio slat/space pattern, with different starting-widths on each panel (ratio of 3/4/5 always the same though).  all of these panels hang from the trusses and are about 2 in off of the wall (they don't touch the wall).  

the perceived room height that you can see in that booth slopes from 10 ft - 12 ft.   Ceiling is made of 2 in fiberboard covered with same fabric.   Above that we stuffed insulation...The idea for this room was a not-so-dead drum booth.  We put a couple of kits in there, listened and added more treatment as we went.  Sounds great in there, although we haven't recorded anything yet, so the jury's still out!

Thoughout the building we left the trusses exposed on the 'inside'  rooms (in room-within-a-room parlance).  We then used the trusses to mount treatment.  You can barely see it in a couple of the live room shots.

We spent quite a bit of time in the control room...(now I'm on a roll if anyone cares)...one cool feature is the big sliding panels on the rear wall.  I wanted some storage, and we came up with a way to carve off the storage from the control room with those hanging sliders.  then entry into the control room is actually back there too - you walk thru the closed to get into the control room.  you can then push the sliders into position, and you've got a really nice consistent surface behind you during mixing.  we spent a couple weeks fiddling with the control room and it now charts really well when measured, but we're gonna wait until the console arrives before doing any further tweaking.

this whole thing has been a blast but really anxious to actually use it...

long winded answer to a question about the panels...jon

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help